Marriage Extension: Home Visit

24 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Oh my god, IT IS THE TRUTH!! They told me and my wife! Then you are free to believe what you want. It varies from office to office and unfortunately my office is famous for being like this. 4 years ago there was even one guy IN the IO getting money under the table to do 'quick' 90 day reports. 

Yes well I just received my 7th extension last month there’s clearly a lot of misinformation all over this site. Some of it is maybe half accurate but mostly a lot of over exaggerating and outright false information. 

• Sad 1

But anything’s possible there’s always gonna be crooks involved in stuff like immigration where there’s money to be made potentially. I’m actually kind of glad they cracked down on visa agencies in this country because those companies had a real racket going on for several years up until December 2018 finally! 

Edited by EricS

10 minutes ago, EricS said:

Yes well I just received my 7th extension last month there’s clearly a lot of misinformation all over this site. Some of it is maybe half accurate but mostly a lot of over exaggerating and outright false information. 

Just because something did'nt happen to you does'nt mean its not true! I think nearly all who post in the visa section try to help and/or give accounts of their experiences.

• Like 2

500 Baht per officer is fine (e.g. 1000 Baht if 2 officers). If there are more than 2 officers no more than 1000 Baht anyway.

Of course, it s cheaper to pay a little when submitting your paperwork at the Immigration Office. That will often negate the need for a home visit.

It save face all the way around if your Thai wife does the negotiating.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Why did they come 3 times? Shouldn't it be only for the first extension?

As I've written in previous threads,  our local immigration office insist on a home visit EVERY year. Some don't. But we are nearby (15mins) and they get a chance to take the shiny new BMW for a run.

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

The three times I had a home visit were of 20 min. duration and no money or drinks passed hands (I did offer some water but it was declined). Never asked about my source of money (isn't that what the bank book copies/letters are for?). They just wanted visual proof I wasn't some scamming expat faking a marriage. And I don't blame them a bit..

I would not blame them either, but I draw the line at them asking for money.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, EricS said:

But anything’s possible there’s always gonna be crooks involved in stuff like immigration where there’s money to be made potentially. I’m actually kind of glad they cracked down on visa agencies in this country because those companies had a real racket going on for several years up until December 2018 finally! 

LOL, are you sure you live in Thailand? There is a big agency right in front of my IO advertising visa/extension services. One even asked me 1000 baht for a residency certificate in 1 hour. 

19 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

LOL, are you sure you live in Thailand? There is a big agency right in front of my IO advertising visa/extension services. One even asked me 1000 baht for a residency certificate in 1 hour. 

Well yeah I’m sure they’re still in business sure but they don’t have free rain over immigration anymore like they used to. In the past I’d just pay my visa agent in Bangkok 25K baht and they’d get my annual extension done in less than a few hours not months hours for a marriage extension!!! But they’re not allowed to just walk in ahead of the line and quickly bribe immigration anymore like they used to be able to get away with. I’ve done my last two extensions now myself with no agent and it wasn’t really that bad I was wasting my money on that agent for the first 3 years I lived here approximately.

A residency certificate done fast yeah right they couldn’t even do that under their old rules LMAO ???? or I’d surely have PR status by now lol. 

Edited by EricS

3 hours ago, EricS said:

That’s a good question actually about the coffee because I had a similar experience but jeez did they actually ask you for money? That I find hard to believe in today’s Thailand but ever since the last immigration boss left maybe they’re slowly going back to the old ways who knows. When I did my marriage extension last month the immigration supervisor did me a pretty decent favor because a few of the dates of my deposits were a little early but it wasn’t a big deal she called their division hq and she got it pre-approved for me over the phone so I’m good now.

After the immigration supervisor told me that she had called their head office and it was approved she jokingly said that I should bring either cookies or donuts or something like that I don’t recall exactly in March when I go back for my one year stamp. Now she was saying it jokingly laughing as she said it in fact but I smiled and said sure I’d be happy to. So I might actually bring donuts when I go back but I’m kind of scared to because I don’t want anyone getting the wrong idea like it’s a bribe or something and it’s really not, technically there could be ethical issues but it’s nothing I haven’t done before in my home country in the past 30 years dealing with my own government with their little clicks and their good ol’ boy system it’s no different anywhere. But I am probably going to bring in donuts just to be nice because I did say I would. I know she’ll remember they always remember us. I remember last year she was another immigration worker who actually did my extension last year but this year now she’s the boss. When she told me it was approved she probably saw my facial expression change and I probably just gave her a free read on me which is fine because I’ll get them to walk it through for me in one day if I can. I will bring it directly into her office though and try to keep it at least a little bit discreet of course I’d be embarrassed if I show up and she’s gone or something especially if no one else remembers. I’m still contemplating whether or not that’s a good idea. I think it’s ok because I said I would but the same supervisor better be there and she better remember. 

I have no love for Thai immigration, but if they went out of their way to help me in some way, I would be glad to give them some doughnuts as I do believe that some of them are decent people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, EricS said:

Well yeah I’m sure they’re still in business sure but they don’t have free rain over immigration anymore like they used to. In the past I’d just pay my visa agent in Bangkok 25K baht and they’d get my annual extension done in less than a few hours not months hours for a marriage extension!!! But they’re not allowed to just walk in ahead of the line and quickly bribe immigration anymore like they used to be able to get away with. I’ve done my last two extensions now myself with no agent and it wasn’t really that bad I was wasting my money on that agent for the first 3 years I lived here approximately. 

I do mine myself ...it only takes a few hours for 1900bt plus travel costs .... so now I am confused by your posting. You said earlier you'd just done your 7th extension, so if you did the last 2 yourself you have paid 125,000bht. I bet they roll out a red carpet for you and you get your own throne when you goto immigration.There is no wonder why you have had zero problems

7 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I do mine myself ...it only takes a few hours for 1900bt plus travel costs .... so now I am confused by your posting. You said earlier you'd just done your 7th extension, so if you did the last 2 yourself you have paid 125,000bht. I bet they roll out a red carpet for you and you get your own throne when you goto immigration.There is no wonder why you have had zero problems

You misunderstood me I stopped using my agent when I did my 2019 extension last year and this year. And yes I know it’s only a 1900 baht processing fee. I was talking about my marriage extension in the past I’d literally have it done the SAME DAY I applied for it because my agent had contacts in immigration on their payroll down in Bangkok at least. But they cut that off in about December 2018 after they finally got a handle on immigration so it stopped. So yeah I’ve done my last two extensions myself here at my local immigration office. I don’t use the agent anymore that’s why I actually liked the changes over a year ago now because we don’t get prayed upon like we were before especially by agents looking to make a buck. The last time I used the agent was in January 2018. 

Edited by EricS

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Don't give them any money, you are not asking them to come to your house, but be sociable and offer a cup of coffee etc. Oh! and tell them your bedroom is private.

Well it wasn't me being put through the wringer... I prefer to put the 800k on deposit.

had them here the first year I did an extension, came inside and took pics of us together and again  5 or 6 years later, there were 3 of them, our neighbour is an ex cop and he came over and said hi, my wife was at work so was not there. They took a few pics outside with me, their english wasnt the best, I was just throwing my aussie sense of humour at them, had them smiling & laughing, we all shook hands and they left, no cakes, no drinks no money, it was actually a good visit the way it went down. We have cameras inside and outside now so if there is any graft mentioned on future visits it will be on tape

Edited by seajae

Last year they came to visit us, they were very friendly and never asked for money.

I have a question about marriage extensions in Jomtien and for people who dont have children.

Untill 2019 I had to come with a thai witness that had his tabian baan registered at Nongprue.

Last year they told me that the witness has been replaced by a visit.

I have to renew my extension this month, someone can confirm: a thai witness is no more required at Jomtien immigration office?

OK. They came and stayed 1 hour or so. Took coffee and money as asked on the phone and said our application will be properly processed. That's what I needed to hear. All the rest is bullcr*p from people who like boasting on a forum but in reality we all know what you do. Heroes. 

Thanks to all the people that gave me wise and honest answers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/13/2020 at 1:54 PM, Lacrimas said:

That's what he said, ค่าน้ำมัน(fuel expense). 1K will be ok I guess....

On 2/13/2020 at 1:57 PM, KhunBENQ said:

1k would bring them 400 km at least.

Have two 500 notes, show one and watch reaction :biggrin:

500 Baht fuel is good for about 200 km total (which would be the distance in my case).

When the show up and hold out a hand, inform them that you travel that distance 5 times a year: 4 90 days and twp trip for the extension based on marriage - soooo, they own you 500 x 6 or 3000 THB.  Assure them that once they pay you'll give them 500 THB for gas.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:05 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Ok, so 500 looks a bit closefisted.

Give them 1000 and then wash it down with a drink.

Ok, so they should owe you 6000 THB for all the trips you make to immigration.  Fair's fair.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, 4MyEgo said:

They told my wife to have petrol money 1,500 baht ready for when they come out, 200km return trip.

They came, they took some pictures outside, didn't even come in, collected and left, end of story.

I think 1,000 baht is more than fair if they didn't indicate an amount, coffee and cake will just keep them there longer, and as much as I like seeing their smiling faces when I do my extensions, I wouldn't want to be too close to them, as they also asked for 500 baht on another occasion when we forgot some photos when doing our 3rd extension, no problem said the immigration office, send them to me on LINE and I will download them and put them with the application on Monday, if you contribute to our Christmas fund.

My wife didn't want to as she loathes the corruption here, but I told her to think about it, i.e. it would be another 200km round trip for us on Monday to drop off the photo's, petrol and a minimum 3 hours driving and waiting, give them the 500 baht and look at it as a business transaction, besides it's chicken feed ????

Now all they get are cakes and always look our way when we walk in to make sure that my wife's homemade cakes have arrived and are to die for, never asked for money since.

As I read through the thread I see that corruption within the ranks of the Immigration police is pretty rampant.  Think about it for a second.  These people are coming to your home to see if you are a dishonest person - and then engage in corruption! They want you to hand them money illegally.  It takes two to tango in a corrupt transaction - so if you engage in an criminal act in order to "grease the wheels" of your extension request.... <laugh>
They come to make sure you're not a criminal and then coerce you into engaging in bribery - a criminal act.  You can make this stuff up kids! :thumbsup:

If I wasn't married to my wife and have significant sunk assets in Thailand I would not remain.  Not all these people are corrupt, but too many are.  I won't give these people money without asking for a receipt in return.  My wife understands this.  She may pay them.  I refuse to enable bent cops.  13 years in country; 12 years married and I'll be going through this dog and pony show again next month.  These people, as well as this country, is unreal. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Spellforce said:

I have to renew my extension this month, someone can confirm: a thai witness is no more required at Jomtien immigration office?

did my extension a few days ago in Rayong and no witness required because of no child but the day after we had a house visit and was asked for a witness. I will say the house visit was very relaxed and the imm officer got on very well with us. last year had a visit and he must have been hiso imm because he had a 5 series beemer but without the trick stuff they have now and his questioning was intrusive at times.

• Like 1