Marriage Extension: Home Visit

16 hours ago, Spellforce said:

Last year they came to visit us, they were very friendly and never asked for money.

I have a question about marriage extensions in Jomtien and for people who dont have children.

Untill 2019 I had to come with a thai witness that had his tabian baan registered at Nongprue.

Last year they told me that the witness has been replaced by a visit.

I have to renew my extension this month, someone can confirm: a thai witness is no more required at Jomtien immigration office?

Just read a post elsewhere, responded to by UJ, that confirmed that. 

10 hours ago, connda said:

As I read through the thread I see that corruption within the ranks of the Immigration police is pretty rampant.  Think about it for a second.  These people are coming to your home to see if you are a dishonest person - and then engage in corruption! They want you to hand them money illegally.  It takes two to tango in a corrupt transaction - so if you engage in an criminal act in order to "grease the wheels" of your extension request.... <laugh>
They come to make sure you're not a criminal and then coerce you into engaging in bribery - a criminal act.  You can make this stuff up kids! :thumbsup:

If I wasn't married to my wife and have significant sunk assets in Thailand I would not remain.  Not all these people are corrupt, but too many are.  I won't give these people money without asking for a receipt in return.  My wife understands this.  She may pay them.  I refuse to enable bent cops.  13 years in country; 12 years married and I'll be going through this dog and pony show again next month.  These people, as well as this country, is unreal. 

The way I see it is, principal here is spelt differently, i.e. it starts with an M and ends with a y, it's at all levels of government, immigration, cops, local Amphur.

Rarely do we give or are asked for money, however, depending if it is going to expedite something for us, it's really chicken fee, for example, if you apply for a renewal of your passport in your home country, the fee is xyz, and will take xyz to arrive, that said, have you ever looked at what they will charge you if you want it quicker, or apply for it overseas, like here, the add ons are far worse than the chicken fee they ask you here, that said, I am fair and never allow these clowns to jip me, i.e. if I have to pay for something which is "corruption", I will make sure someone else will pay for it, e.g. police fined me 400 baht for doing nothing wrong, you speeding, no I wasn't, I was doing 80km, pay fine over there, ok, we'll play your game. Enter into a TV store, take 400 baht off that for me, no can do, bye bye then, ok, can do, so in one hand and out the other, no worse off, so I learned a long time ago, not to get upset, play their game, I win on every occasion as it doesn't come out of my pocket....F....the lot of them ! 

14 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

OK. They came and stayed 1 hour or so. Took coffee and money as asked on the phone and said our application will be properly processed. That's what I needed to hear. All the rest is bullcr*p from people who like boasting on a forum but in reality we all know what you do. Heroes. 

Thanks to all the people that gave me wise and honest answers.

So the land of scams gets another one but I understand that you don't want problems with your extension it only natural but just because others here choose not to be intimidated, you don't have to criticize them as heroes or be angry towards them remember not everyone is the same. Am happy things worked out for you your way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wtfracing said:

So the land of scams gets another one but I understand that you don't want problems with your extension it only natural but just because others here choose not to be intimidated, you don't have to criticize them as heroes or be angry towards them remember not everyone is the same. Am happy things worked out for you your way.

Thanks. I'm angry because they call me a coward or something. We all know that most of them just do what I did but because they are trolls and keyboard warriors they come here boasting about their big balls. I have two small kids and I don't want to take any chances.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

did my extension a few days ago in Rayong and no witness required because of no child but the day after we had a house visit and was asked for a witness.

Thank you.

And about the photos, did you gave the photos you, your wife AND a thai witness ?

1 minute ago, Spellforce said:

Thank you.

And about the photos, did you gave the photos you, your wife AND a thai witness ?

For the application at the office you only need photos of you and your wife in front of your house with the house number, inside the house (living room) and sitting together on the bed. 

When the officers come to visit you at the house they will take a photo of you and the witness. Prepare also copies of the tabien baan and ID card of the witness for when they come.

• Like 1

They visited us 17 years ago, and we first thought some drug sellers were looking for new customers.

I asked my wife if I should call the cops when they all in a sudden said that they are cops.

Our neighbor, a Thai teacher, had to fill out several forms, they asked her all about me if that would be true that I'm staying there for so long, etc.

That was a long time before.

Where we live now, the neighbor on the right is working for the immigration, on the other side is a lawyer Perfect. It couldn't be better. 

I know from him that they only have a specific budget to visit foreigners, and once the budget used up, they skip all the other planned visits.

There's nothing to be scared. 

They only want to make sure that you're living where you said you would. 

There's a high possibility that they'll ask some neighbors about you and your relationship.

Offer them some water and snacks, that can't be wrong. See it as it is and imagine you'd be in their shoes.

They're usually not asking for money. That might have been a joke, or a reminder.

Why would they say no to some money coming from your "heart"?

• Like 1

Buddy of mine and myself are changing from retirement extensions to marriage. 

He has successfully done his and despite only living about a 15 minute drive in one of their swanky BMWs they charged him 2K Baht expenses. 

My extension is due in a few weeks and I live in the far south of the province approx 110km drive. Wonder what I will be pinged for. 

Not unduly worried about the change of extension, I did a marriage one back in 2006 at Suan Plu. Lots of hoop jumping but I cannot recall a home visit back then. 

Not going to name the province, but my TV name will give you a clue. 

Edited by phutoie2
Spilled Leo.

6 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Buddy of mine and myself are changing from retirement extensions to marriage. 

He has successfully done his and despite only living about a 15 minute drive in one of their swanky BMWs they charged him 2K Baht expenses. 

My extension is due in a few weeks and I live in the far south of the province approx 110km drive. Wonder what I will be pinged for. 

Not unduly worried about the change of extension, I did a marriage one back in 2006 at Suan Plu. Lots of hoop jumping but I cannot recall a home visit back then. 

Not going to name the province, but my TV name will give you a clue. 

There's a sucker born every few minutes. We paid 0

• Like 1

It really surprises me how readily many people here give away their money for nothing in return. It's not even a bribe, why do you hand this over?

If you refuse to give them money you will still get your extension, don't be so scared. I even demand my 100THB when they "forget" to give me the change for my 2000THB when applying for an extension.

And then you guys are complaining that they tighten the rules. Yes, they would be stupid not to do this considering how easy it is to get your money if you are just a little bit afraid.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, Spellforce said:

Thank you.

I don't understand what you're asking, do you mean did we allow photos to be taken in the house with a witness by the imm officer?. If so the answer is yes but not as intrusive as last year and the imm officer seemed to want to open a coffee shop with my sister in law. If you're asking about pictures we gave as part of our application to the immigration office no, just my wife and I plus dogs & cats.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

It really surprises me how readily many people here give away their money for nothing in return. It's not even a bribe, why do you hand this over?

If you refuse to give them money you will still get your extension, don't be so scared. I even demand my 100THB when they "forget" to give me the change for my 2000THB when applying for an extension.

And then you guys are complaining that they tighten the rules. Yes, they would be stupid not to do this considering how easy it is to get your money if you are just a little bit afraid.

So they simply 'try it on' but if it doesn't fly you get your extension anyway? 

I can understand some being concerned though. What would you do if they threatened 'no money... no extension'?

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So they simply 'try it on' but if it doesn't fly you get your extension anyway? 

I can understand some being concerned though. What would you do if they threatened 'no money... no extension'?

Probably ask to talk to the head honcho....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

Well good for you, I dislike handing good beer chits over for nothing too.

When my mate asked about what if I don't pay. answer was, no money, no extension.

What would your advice be then, oh learned one?

Right. They only asked 1000 baht... are you willing to risk it all for 1000 baht? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...