BANGKOK
Lacrimas

Marriage Extension: Home Visit

When IM did our home visit it took about 30 minutes. They took some pictures, asked our witness some questions, drank a glass of Pepsi and left. No money requested or offered.  

24 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Oh my god, IT IS THE TRUTH!! They told me and my wife! Then you are free to believe what you want. It varies from office to office and unfortunately my office is famous for being like this. 4 years ago there was even one guy IN the IO getting money under the table to do 'quick' 90 day reports. 

Yes well I just received my 7th extension last month there’s clearly a lot of misinformation all over this site. Some of it is maybe half accurate but mostly a lot of over exaggerating and outright false information. 

• Sad 1

But anything’s possible there’s always gonna be crooks involved in stuff like immigration where there’s money to be made potentially. I’m actually kind of glad they cracked down on visa agencies in this country because those companies had a real racket going on for several years up until December 2018 finally! 

Edited by EricS

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Heck no..... 

Don't give them any money, you are not asking them to come to your house, but be sociable and offer a cup of coffee etc. Oh! and tell them your bedroom is private.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EricS said:

Yes well I just received my 7th extension last month there’s clearly a lot of misinformation all over this site. Some of it is maybe half accurate but mostly a lot of over exaggerating and outright false information. 

Just because something did'nt happen to you does'nt mean its not true! I think nearly all who post in the visa section try to help and/or give accounts of their experiences.

• Like 2

500 Baht per officer is fine (e.g. 1000 Baht if 2 officers). If there are more than 2 officers no more than 1000 Baht anyway.

Of course, it s cheaper to pay a little when submitting your paperwork at the Immigration Office. That will often negate the need for a home visit.

It save face all the way around if your Thai wife does the negotiating.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Yeah you should

No, just ask them nicely.

Why did they come 3 times? Shouldn't it be only for the first extension?

As I've written in previous threads,  our local immigration office insist on a home visit EVERY year. Some don't. But we are nearby (15mins) and they get a chance to take the shiny new BMW for a run.

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

The three times I had a home visit were of 20 min. duration and no money or drinks passed hands (I did offer some water but it was declined). Never asked about my source of money (isn't that what the bank book copies/letters are for?). They just wanted visual proof I wasn't some scamming expat faking a marriage. And I don't blame them a bit..

I would not blame them either, but I draw the line at them asking for money.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, EricS said:

But anything’s possible there’s always gonna be crooks involved in stuff like immigration where there’s money to be made potentially. I’m actually kind of glad they cracked down on visa agencies in this country because those companies had a real racket going on for several years up until December 2018 finally! 

LOL, are you sure you live in Thailand? There is a big agency right in front of my IO advertising visa/extension services. One even asked me 1000 baht for a residency certificate in 1 hour. 

Because the guy on the phone clearly said to give them money for fuel

If the guy on the phone said " go jump in the nearest river" does that mean you should go and do it. 😀

• Like 1