Government considering extending Songkran holidays to lift economy

webfact

5 hours ago, zydeco said:

Improve the economic numbers by closing down factories and plants for two extra days???  Ding. Ding. Ding. What is going on, here?

Right.

And for that matter, why 2 days... only ?

Why not 6 months more ? That would be even better for the economy, according to their weird logic...

Perpetual Songkran... Good for the economy.

At last, the people will be able to spend... the money they don't have. ???? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

All that plastic that was used on bags can be directed to cheap plastic junk. So genius.

Largest drought in two decades.

When I was still back in Hua Hin, the 7/11 closest to me adopted that rule for 2 days, before resorting back to plastic bags. The Family Mart on the other hand has seemed to keep with the no plastic bag rule 

Who are these "government"<deleted>? I try to plan my visits to miss Songkran.Closed smaller shops and loss of business.With the high baht I'd expect a lot of more affluent Thais [My landlady,Gov't workers ,a couple of hotel owners, and Some Thai Vietnamese I know,for example] will be taking overseas trips at this time.

Still, shopping malls, breweries , distilleries,car repair shops, and coffin makers will be making money.

Edited by findlay13

They want you to go to the shops to spend all that extra money that you probably do not have but have you ever tried to go shopping over Songkran? If you can get there and back without being soaked you have done very well. (for non-car people)

• Like 2

Times are tough.  So what do we do? Party, Party, Party!  P!zz off some tourists who are not into days upon days of this unregulated nonsense.  It's like crazy youth during Spring Break at Daytona Beach in Florida, USA. 

Oh, and extend tourism by Thais who can't get back to where they belong. Keep the traffic on the roads as long as possible.  This Deputy Prime Minister is some kid.  Grow up.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tifino said:

hydro jet assist, to ensure virus affected shooters water gets right inside your eyes/mouth/nose...

Are the thai government thst stupid that the chance of Songkran will entice people back during the Coronavirus scare. It would be like playing Tig with a virus involved. Maybe they want to be held culpable for the highest victims outside china

Please, NO.  The madness already seems to last most of the month in Pattaya.  Thailand already has way too many holidays.  Stop taking the easy way out and, for once, do some real thinking, and some real planning, and come up with some new, innovative ideas to stimulate tourism and the economy.  Do some work, for a change.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dougiemac52 said:
17 hours ago, tifino said:

hydro jet assist, to ensure virus affected shooters water gets right inside your eyes/mouth/nose...

Are the thai government thst stupid that the chance of Songkran will entice people back during the Coronavirus scare. It would be like playing Tig with a virus involved. Maybe they want to be held culpable for the highest victims outside china

might have to wait out until the entire deck is wet played out...  

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The government might extend the Songkran festival to stimulate the national economy.

Well, you have to explain this to me, people don't have money, to make money they have to work, how can they make a longer vacation without money!
Tip: eliminate the Songkran, huge saving of resources (water, petrol and alkohol)!

• Like 1

I don't buy this nonsense that Songkran will deplete water resources.  They will just use klong water that is unfit for any purpose other than putting out fires if they can't get it from the tap. Suck it out of the Chao Praya river, so maybe the water will flow to the sea and prevent salt water from coming up river.  (Er, oops!  It comes back up if you create a hole in the water.  Guess again.)

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Creating a shopping atmosphere is expected to help the economy which faces many economic risk factors such as the outbreak of the new coronavirus, drought, delay in implementing the budget, including the Korat mass shootings in Nakhon Ratchasima, which have had a huge impact on businesses and the tourism industry.

Strange, you are very good at blaming other events for the failure of your policy, now you already have two reasons to explain why tourism is so declining, CORONA VIRUS and the SHOOTER IN KORAT!
When will you be ready to take your responsibilities?