Government considering extending Songkran holidays to lift economy

webfact

The thinking may have some serious flaws. Roadway deaths, alcohol related incidents and other negative behaviors related to both of these may certainly result by extending these financially created holidays.

Rather than create incentives for the approximately 200,000 expats, extended tourists and foreign workers from the west and elsewhere; who generate billions of baht year around, the "leaders" are grasping for short straw remedies.

Great thinking, batman! A recent survey revealed the vast majority of Thai families are up to their necks in debt - and that was before the novel corona virus kicked the economy in the goolies.

Can't imagine many Thais having surplus cash to throw around on an extended Songkran. It's a hare-brained plan likely to speed the spread of the virus and worsen the drought.

Edited by Krataiboy

What this doesnt mentiin or seem to take into account is after 9 glorious days of holiday, there is another spate of holidays beginning 1 may. 

Not a great time to be an employer....

Throw in a few sickdays and some holiday leave and you are gone for the month

Edited by metempsychotic

Well, that’s my plan all shot to rats**t.

I was going to tough it out during the couple of days of Songkran in Bangkok and had delayed my flight to Canada to when the weather would be somewhat better at the end of April. 

I’ll take the freezing rain, snow flurries and biting wind before I suffer a full week of Songkran’s idiocy. I’ll pay the flight penalty. 

And ditto all the critical comments above. 

• Sad 1

I think these extra days will be for government employees only Companies won't buy into it plus i think there's a stipulation that banks and countries financial centres etc cannot be close  for more than 3 days

As for water wastage, songkran is an afternoon here in PKK and i suspect most places south of BKK

On day one, starts midday all over by 6pm

Edited by poohy

Desperation! They must be getting near the bottom of the barrel for ideas now!

"Eat, shop, spend"! Who in their right minds purposely goes shopping during Songkran - especially carrying your shopping in brown paper bags?

They already fire dirty water about in Bangkok for about a week, and how does "Thais going home for the holidays" add to the economy - if they're going home (Esan etc) for Songkran - they're going anyway, so nothing extra spent on the journey, and if they're at home they're probably spending less than if they're at work!

Edited by sambum

I really don't think (as I said maaaaaany times) that Songkhran and 2 days more or less, will be all too bad for the drought- situation.

There are 361 days where Thai- people, factories...basically everybody...wastes water on an epic scale.

But a) I can not see for the life of me, how to more days of holiday will increase spending in Thailand?

Does the population suddenly double, because there are 2 more days of holiday?

Will people really travel that more and spend that more?

I doubt it!

And b) given the fact, that the April - heat will NOT kill the virus, like the great orange dumpsterfire overseas, thinks, spraying water around and rubbing boddies at each other for 2 MORE Days, may NOT be the greatest idea...

Finally c) we all know, what 2 more days of holidays will bring upon: 2 more days of absolute carnage on the roads.

So...nah...really bad idea!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, darksidedog said:

Yes, brilliant idea. Given we have one of the worst droughts for ages, lets throw even more water down the drain shall we?

Dont worry. Your post will no doubt be answered with a long list of how many showers, big buckets, small buckets and water pistols with a volume of water for each category and will prove using different %'s of daily use for each one that it will have no effect what-so-ever. Did I forget car washing?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, peter14 said:

oh my buddha save face.... but face is sinking... Thailand is sinking..  since they start the crack down with immigration tm30 and the cave while Chinese died in Phuket  everything falling apart    people are sick of fake smile and cheating... 

Are you trying to goad Steve100?