Government considering extending Songkran holidays to lift economy

webfact

25 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I don't think it really matters, everyday is a deadly day, 53 bit the bitumen yesterday!

You can't just post that without using %'s to compare it to SARS, MERS and the new virus.

I spent hours ( well, a couple minutes ) reason for a couple of minutes based on the % of people who have developed short attention spans because of, because of?? I'll get back to that. Where was I? oh yes, having carefully studied all the %'s of ways you can die taking into consideration all the available ways to be a victim I realise I'm now quite well up in the bracket for suicide. I'm now searching websites to best read on suicide to help me, unless something interesting comes on the tv while I'm reading my latest book on the % of %'s that turn out to be false.

Not ambitious enough , they should;

1) Sell off all the foreign reserves and distribute bundles of baht to all Thai citizens.

2) Make the whole of April a holiday and encourage the populace to drink , drive and be merry.

3) Make it illegal not to wear a bucket on ones head so that a lot of chucked about water can be recycled.

The resulting collapse of the baht ( no foreign reserves and a huge export slump) will stimulate tourism hugely . Perhaps as a further sweetener lightweight raincoats ( with smiley emoji )could be handed out at Swampy by immigration.

Simples !

23 minutes ago, mrfill said:

If extending will lift the economy, why not extend it to the whole year? The economy would be huge in 12 months.

Paradise here we come....

Looking at big c and other large stores employees they already are on yearly long holidays ????

Extend Songkran two more days.

That's another reason to avoid pattaya for two extra days..

Idiotic thinking...

The saying. 

"Wherever you go never take an idiot with you. You will always find one when you get there".

Certainly true for Thailand and most have ministerial positions...

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I don't think it really matters, everyday is a deadly day, 53 bit the bitumen yesterday!

Those 5 days are the most deadly days of the year in Thailand. No other days comes even close to Songkran. So, 4 more days do matter. When do you see thai police on TV and in every newspaper telling people not to drink and drive? The answer is before and during Songkran. 

20 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Extend Songkran two more days.

That's another reason to avoid pattaya for two extra days..

Idiotic thinking...

The saying. 

"Wherever you go never take an idiot with you. You will always find one when you get there".

Certainly true for Thailand and most have ministerial positions...

4 extra days, not two. Don't forget Sat-Sunday. But there are places in Thailand where they celebrate Songkran harder than in Pattaya. 

i'm no economist but there is more to a country's economic performance than simply the retail sector. as the manufacturing industry is the biggest contributor to the thai economy surely shortening the holiday and getting the workers back to work would be more beneficial...  ????

• Like 2

Well, that will lower or certainly delay the tourist money they get from me because I am planning on going only after Songkran.  I did Songkran once in Pattaya and it is a big pain in the butt.  A few days or a long weekend is OK, but in Pattaya over one week where you can not walk around, take a baht bus, go anywhere without getting uncomfortably soaked.  Normal day to day things just can not be done. 

• Like 1

So in response to a stagnating economy this governments main course of action has been to give 1k baht away to taxpayers and now an extra couple of days on the <deleted>. Marvellous. At least the undertakers and hospitals will do a roaring trade with 7 ‘deadly days’ extended to 9 ‘deadly days’. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gervais Bilodeau said:

Money comes from people's pockets. Extending holidays won't give them more money to spend.

but it is Thai logic....like bars NOT bringing down prices to get people to drink, they keep at same price, or add the odd 5 baht here and there HOPING to make more/the same money !!!

Edited by tinca tinca
wrong spelling

I stay in my GF's village during Songkran to avoid the worst excesses of the idiots, such as throwing ice-laden water at scooter riders. I spend very little money there, just food from the local dalat nat. Two more days I won't be spending money in city restaurants, etc. Apologies to the government for not co-operating.

Well optimistic they are but maybe none left to celebrate after what we have seen from the spread, hospitalized and fatalities of the COVID-19 virus in China and IMO cant see no particular reason why infected, hospitalized and dead should be less here than there in the near future:sad: 

Edited by Felt 35