Virus shaving tourism in half, minister says

snoop1130

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Which village is missing it's idiot today? April, he is kidding himself at best! somehow I doubt the first thought for the Chinese, after being in quarantine for months and surviving will be a holiday in Thailand!

On the other hand, after being in quaratine for months, many may fancy a good holiday in Thailand!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

You mean the falangs on here who gripe when beer goes up by 5 baht, or hookers go up by 100 baht, and ask for advice about how to save a little on the baht buses?

I think he means the genuine farang tourist, the ones that comes for a week or two, doesn’t worry about being rejected entry, doesn’t worry about TM’s. The ones that continue to come as they feel welcomed, enjoy top class service and goes home happy, like many of my friends. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No, the ones who spend about 60,000 baht/month supporting themselves and their Thai families.

It makes huge sense to replace each 60,000 Baht farang supporting 6 family members (10,000 Baht per person per month spending) with a potential 6000 Chinese & Indians spending the same 10,000 Baht in 4 days and go back home. 

TAT, you have no need to worry, in a well known news paper today an article from Kbank, stated the virus and the lack of tourist is having little affect on Thailand GDP, and if the situation last for more than 6 months it may have a slight effect, so what is it TAT..... make your minds up... 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I think he means the genuine farang tourist, the ones that comes for a week or two, doesn’t worry about being rejected entry, doesn’t worry about TM’s. The ones that continue to come as they feel welcomed, enjoy top class service and goes home happy, like many of my friends. 

But it's funny how so many on here object to being lumped into an unsavory category, while blind to the irony of lumping Indian and Chinese tourists into similar categories. 

There's more millionaires in China and India than there are in the UK.  Not a higher percentage, but just on sheer weight of numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, saakura said:

It makes huge sense to replace each 60,000 Baht farang supporting 6 family members (10,000 Baht per person per month spending) with a potential 6000 Chinese & Indians spending the same 10,000 Baht in 4 days and go back home. 

Financially it does, socially and environmentally it doesn't. But most governments are focused on the bottom line.

If you want to see what mass tourism does, Halong Bay in Vietnam is a good example. One of the natural wonders of the world, and it looks like a junkyard.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not so sure we are welcome to stay. Putting the 90 day and TM30 BS aside, I suspect the elite here don't like our presence because we may be giving average Thais unwelcome ideas.

I’m not so sure if the average Thai is susceptible to our ideas or if they even care. 
What I do believe is that the authorities are well aware of the rubbish and Thai bashing going on here in this forum. It wouldn’t be so bad if it was true but the bulk of it is just absolute nonsense. It wouldn’t surprise me if immigration comes down progressively harder on the long stay expat like us. 
Contrary to what many on here claim, the typical tourist, Asian or otherwise face no issues coming here for a holiday. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. However, I was referring to total spend, not how much went to the Thai members of the family.

A significant part of the spend will be on items such as Western foods, where the Thai government collects substantial taxes. Live exclusively on Thai cuisine, and the spend is much less.

A poster recently ran a thread about the financial impact of expats on the population and on GDP. The conclusion was that even with the most generous rate of giving, the impact on GDP if all farang expats left, was negligible, less than 1.5%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Minister start by shaving 50% off the 100% inflated baht???? 

The most severe estimates are that THB is over valued by just under 7%, you may as well get your head around that now because if you're looking for anything greater you're going to be very disappointed.

• Like 1