Virus shaving tourism in half, minister says

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Even half seems like an optimistic outlook. The only people

who would travel to Thailand right now are those who probably

cant get a refund...or those who keep telling themselves we'll be alright,

or those who like holidaying under huge amounts of stress. This infection

has now crossed into local transmission....its irrelevant whether the Chinese are

around or not.

And stubborn people like me... I was not going to let a little coup in Trinidad stop one of my vacations... so a little thing like a virus would not have stopped me either ????  Of course I am now older and supposedly wiser ...

1 hour ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

TAT, you have no need to worry, in a well known news paper today an article from Kbank, stated the virus and the lack of tourist is having little affect on Thailand GDP, and if the situation last for more than 6 months it may have a slight effect, so what is it TAT..... make your minds up... 

I have the same feeling. They look at a couple of days and start to panic. But the year is not over yet. 

"Tourist numbers from February 1-9 were down 43.47 per cent, he said, and among Chinese visitors 86.55 per cent." 

25 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

And stubborn people like me... I was not going to let a little coup in Trinidad stop one of my vacations... so a little thing like a virus would not have stopped me either ????  Of course I am now older and supposedly wiser ...

do whatever your heart tells you....I dont think this thing is going to stop until

it has run its course....outlook is grim....meanwhile Tokyo is thinking just like

you....theyre going ahead with the olympics. God help us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m not so sure if the average Thai is susceptible to our ideas or if they even care. 
What I do believe is that the authorities are well aware of the rubbish and Thai bashing going on here in this forum. It wouldn’t be so bad if it was true but the bulk of it is just absolute nonsense. It wouldn’t surprise me if immigration comes down progressively harder on the long stay expat like us. 
Contrary to what many on here claim, the typical tourist, Asian or otherwise face no issues coming here for a holiday. 

You may be right. My observation of Thai attitudes in northern Thailand is Prayut and his cronies are loathed and despised. I don't know if we have contributed to that, possibly not. However, it is convenient to blame unrest on us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Which village is missing it's idiot today? April, he is kidding himself at best! somehow I doubt the first thought for the Chinese, after being in quarantine for months and surviving will be a holiday in Thailand!

I was thinking the Mad Hatter  from Through the looking glass myself.

• Like 1

By not putting an outright ban on ALL incoming Chinese (like other countries have done)

they have surely made ALL other prospective tourists to Thailand have second thoughts.

I guess the Thais are thinking since many other countries banned entry to the Chinese, then Thailand will pick up those extra tourists who would of gone somewhere else.

So, by allowing the few dwindling Chinese tourists in now, they have essentially scared off many thousands of westerners that would of came.

Who would want to travel through Thai airports?

especially Swampy, when there are Chinese coughing and hoiking everywhere.

good luck to em keeping their Chinese buddies

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

Having the Health Minister berating western tourists likely didn’t help on 2 fronts. 

1. It demonstrates a genuine dislike for western tourists; and 

2. it sent pictures around the world of the health minister wandering about handing out masks and yelling about how dangerous things are without said masks - not exactly an image one wants of their next holiday destination ???? 

That's nonsense, think about it. The guy was doing a publicity stunt by handing out face masks in the street and some foreigners, coincidentally Europeans, rejected the offer and he got upset and mouthy. That rejection could have come from anyone, it just happened to come from some Europeans. Had that rejection come from an Australian, a South African, a Japanese or even a Chinese, his response would have been exactly the same. The guy doesn't hate western tourists, he hates anyone who rejects his offer in public of the free face masks he was offering, it could have been any nationality.

• Haha 2

“We expect the situation to pick up in April and will be discussing with Airports of Thailand ways to manage flight schedules for Chinese tourists to reduce airport congestion,” Phiphat said.

No, you don't need to do this. Once China recovers from the virus (and nobody knows when yet) they have other priorities than traveling to Thailand on zero baht tours. You should know that if you have received latest info from your puppeteers in Beijing.

• Like 1