Virus shaving tourism in half, minister says

snoop1130

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“The Tourism Authority of Thailand will need to work harder in the second half to compensate for the first,” he said.

They don't run hotels or tourist attractions. What might help is if the immigration stop treating western visitors like criminals if they want to visit more than once.

If western visitor numbers are down its a well deserved kick in the pants for Thai immigration. Will they straighten up and fly right in future? I doubt it.

Thai tourism needs to be destroyed completely and then they might start seeing where their actual priorities are. Clean up the filthy cities and stop the myriad scams and rip offs.

Far as I'm concerned, a 50% drop isn't enough to make the people that run Thai tourism wake up to reality.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, moe666 said:

center of the old city for dinner.

If that's Chiang Mai, it deserves to lose every tourist. They run such a disgusting city- filthy, broken, ugly, that it should be bulldozed to the ground and rebuilt. 

I lived there for over a year and know the place well. They didn't even put on a show for New Year, council is a waste of space. Tours for tourists are disgusting and a rip off. Only place in the whole city worth a damn is the Queen Sirikit horticultural gardens and that's nothing to do with the council. The zoo is terrible, and should be closed.

Place doesn't even have night life.

and yet, they claim to be a "tourist" city 555555555555555555

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They don't run hotels or tourist attractions. What might help is if the immigration stop treating western visitors like criminals if they want to visit more than once.

If western visitor numbers are down its a well deserved kick in the pants for Thai immigration. Will they straighten up and fly right in future? I doubt it.

Thai tourism needs to be destroyed completely and then they might start seeing where their actual priorities are. Clean up the filthy cities and stop the myriad scams and rip offs.

Far as I'm concerned, a 50% drop isn't enough to make the people that run Thai tourism wake up to reality.

Well I've said this before, but the average Western tourist has a vision of Thailand that is so far from reality it's not funny.

I've often said that take a picture of almost anywhere in Thailand and you can guarantee there will be  a pile of trash somewhere in the frame. That's not even mentioning the horribly polluted beaches! 

Those are the images and experiences that Westerners take home, which uncomfortably for TAT get shared on social media these days.

Which has the effect that people don't come back, and it depresses new visitors 

I guess the highly monitored and censored Chinese Internet in that case is a plus!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

Is ThaiVisa only read -and commented- by .. non Thai people, of which I am (non-Thai, that is) ? It just saddens me how we, non-Thai, constantly denigrate this people and its rulers.. We, non-Thai of western origins, have a different way to think, maybe more Descartian (from French philosopher René Descartes). We tend to analyse, scrutinize, even judge others' opinions, behaviors, and policies. But coming back to where we have chosen to live, who and what are we to always comment negatively on our host country ?Right or wrong, does it matter? Live and let live. We, westerners, always have to opportunity to pull out if we don't like it. Happy Valentine

Edited by Elzear
correction
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, saengd said:

Expats on Thaivisa Forum regularly threaten to leave Thailand for good for a variety of reason but very few ever do, their reasons include pollution, excessive heat, excessive drought, immigration rules, unsafe banks, dirty streets and beaches, a strong baht, military rule, traffic road deaths, the grass is greener in Cambodia, Vietnam, the PI and Malaysia, it's Wednesday, my mate said I should!

It is like being married and not being happy. Long time you have hope that it will get better and also think about the costs to get divorced. But one day enough will be enough and you will do it. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DLock said:

I 100% agree. I was in Hawaii at New Year on Maui and I didn't think it was that expensive.

But the quality of beaches and environment was just amazing. Food was good, people were friendly and overall it is a really relaxing place.

Anyone coming to Thailand for beaches and nature is in for a severe disappointment...in fact just coming to Thailand, most people are in for a disappointment...and they will only come once.

Beaches here are highly overrated. I went to Cuba a few times about 10 year ago and was in Vietnam recently and the beaches in Cuba blow just about anywhere out of the water if you pardon the pun . Vietnam was like here probably was long ago , pristine beaches and clear water .

8 minutes ago, Elzear said:

Is ThaiVisa only read -and commented- by .. non Thai people, of which I am (non-Thai, that is) ? It just saddens me how we, non-Thai, constantly denigrate this people and its rulers.. We, non-Thai of western origins, have a different way to think, maybe more Descartian (from French philosopher René Descartes). We tend to analyse, scrutinize, even judge others' opinions, behaviors, and policies. But coming back to where we have chosen to live, who and what are we to always comment negatively on our host country ?Right or wrong, does it matter? Live and let live. We, westerners, always have to opportunity to pull out if we don't like it. Happy Valentine

"Live and let live" hardly applies. You cannot see the lack of legitimacy of the government in LOS?  You cannot see the trash and filth?  Your have never seen someone on a scooter throw an empty container on the side of the road?  80+ people a day die on the roads, you think that is OK....when the situation can be changed with a higher police presence and strict enforcement of the law. I think we TVers are entitled to have a say.....and we do! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tops said:

I was planning to go to visit some customers in Pattaya and Sattahip next Wednesday and Thursday. Also did this in January and many times before. Price for a one night in my regular hotel in Nua, good, clean but nothing fancy went from 1,180 THB per night to 2.880 THB per night.

Another hotel where I used to come in Jomtien prices went from 1,525 THB per night to 3,690 per night. But at least they have a swimmingpool.

Both hotels, breakfast is not included. At the first hotel the price for breakfast is 500 THB per person, went up from 150 THB. Second hotel,  here the prices went up from 150 per room previously to 350 per person when pre-booked. At the table it is 500 THB per person. 

Both hotels demand payment when booking and a deposit 500 THB, never been before. Could always pay when arriving.

I had both hotels called. They said February is high season. How about January? January also high season but not as high as February.

I will have all my appointments rescheduled to Thursday and just drive up and down on Thursday !!

Not planning to pay the more than a 140% rise. Customers down, prices up !! Thai logic...

Welcome to Thailand

Thats the logic. If the volume decreases increase the price to offset the decrease in volume.

The natural logic of course which seems invisible to the average Thai, is that this in itself further depresses the volume

• Like 2

"After initially dismissing the epidemic as principally a Chinese problem, U.S. policymakers in recent days acknowledged it will damage the global and U.S. growth outlooks.

Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome H. Powell said this week that there will “very likely be some effects on the United States” from the epidemic, which has closed thousands of Chinese factories that supply American companies.

Among the first tangible effects in the United States is a decline in the number of Chinese tourists.

Visitors from China represent a lucrative market for U.S. airlines, hotels, luxury retailers and entertainment venues, with average spending of about $6,500 per person."

But the Pattaya Barstool Dillitant Brigade said when they travel the Chinese only buy instant noodles and gob a lot. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

He plans to propose to the Cabinet a visa fee exemption for Chinese and Indian visitors as a way to stimulate tourism and asked the private sector for its support.

Never mind the indigenous people, just bring the money in. 

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:
  17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe they should stop giving tourists who 'come too often' a hard time at the airports.

And allow unlimited entry to those on VISA waivers.

And scrap the O-A VISA insurance scam.

That's a start/ Need alot more-

-Scrap the 2 land entries- unlimited entries allowed

-Scrap the alcohol hours- 24/7- let the market decide on opening and closing

-Lower the price of hotels and food by getting rid of the taxes on both to include the excissive wine tax

-No VAT on purchases from outlets and export

-All taxis everywhere must use meters

-Clean up the beaches and the water

-Bring back the street vendors and leave them alone

-Start a large marketing campaign  in Europe; North and South America and Australia that Thailand is open for business- you need to spend money to make money.

-Order every Immigration Officer at every port of entry to greet each person with a smile and Welcome to Thailand and sack anyone of them that are rude- ask- why you come to Thailand often or toss a passport at a visitor. 

You need people coming to Thailand often not IOs looking for ways to stop them from coming.

Tat  obsession with the chinese and Indian tourist go ask a local Thai and they are the most unliked tourist from the melting pot Thais can't stand them but the government does. 

Thailand is slowly sinking to the bottom of the tourist pool and  telling farangs to go home and we don't need your money  is starting to bite them in the <deleted>. 

The good old land of smiles is run by a bunch of out of  touch wrinkle berries and just wait this place is going to get hit  hard long term if the keep pandering to the Chinese tourist market considering they are as tight as a fishes <deleted> Thailand is  in the eye of the storm. 

Good luck they will need it. 

• Like 1

A reduction in Tourists of 50% in the first half of the Year, is probably about correct.

But only if the Covid19 Virus is eradicated by the early March, which at the moment seems very unlikely.

A reduction from 40 M PA to 20 M PA is also a tad optimistic, with the long term effect going to be felt well into 2022.

59 minutes ago, Caine said:

Nothing to do with the Coronavirus, Tourist have wised up over last 10yrs to the Racist, lying, thieving, conning, violent, unwelcoming people who inhabit this country Thailand

It starts with the most miserable Immigration Officers on the Planet; massive difference when you go to Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore Et al.

• Like 1

I've just extended my visa exempt entry to help ease the burden. I hereby invite Thai tourism officials to pay me a visit in order to prostrate themselves before me.

And then I woke up and realized that this won't happen, because I'm not Chinese.

• Haha 1