Virus shaving tourism in half, minister says

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Elzear said:

Is ThaiVisa only read -and commented- by .. non Thai people, of which I am (non-Thai, that is) ? It just saddens me how we, non-Thai, constantly denigrate this people and its rulers.. We, non-Thai of western origins, have a different way to think, maybe more Descartian (from French philosopher René Descartes). We tend to analyse, scrutinize, even judge others' opinions, behaviors, and policies. But coming back to where we have chosen to live, who and what are we to always comment negatively on our host country ?Right or wrong, does it matter? Live and let live. We, westerners, always have to opportunity to pull out if we don't like it. Happy Valentine

I’m sure some of the expats here (especially the biggest bashers) would love to pull out as they obviously hate their life here. But sadly, they can’t afford to relocate to their home country, in main, due to insufficient funds. That’s why they are so jealous when they see tourists throwing around money and having a good time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m sure some of the expats here (especially the biggest bashers) would love to pull out as they obviously hate their life here. But sadly, they can’t afford to relocate to their home country, in main, due to insufficient funds. That’s why they are so jealous when they see tourists throwing around money and having a good time. 

I think most are stuck because of family. Pulling out the sticks when you have kids at school, etc is not a quick process. It's taking me closer to four years to do, halfway there.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I think most are stuck because of family. Pulling out the sticks when you have kids at school, etc is not a quick process. It's taking me closer to four years to do, halfway there.

I don’t understand why it takes so long. My work colleagues and I have been sent on postings all over the world and it doesn’t even take us anywhere close to a year to get resettled, even with kids. For a retired person, this is even easier as there is much less paperwork involved. Sure, there might be a financial hit in some instances (quick sale of assets like properties or vehicles) but aren’t all the expats living here wealthy, as they claim?

Oh, I see .....

• Like 1

“We might also propose that the Cabinet allow entrepreneurs who run businesses in the entertainment area to stay open until 4am, but we must first survey the operators and tourists to get their opinions.”

How about getting the opinions of the countless thousands of workers and schoolkids across the Kingdom who wont be denided a decent night's sleep if this measure is passed.

• Haha 1

Bringing more Chinese in will drive everyone else out-oil on the fire-this is now a Chinese only country.  10,000+ people are in critical condition worldwide-I bet those deaths won’t have any affect.  Tourist safety is a dream without addressing corruption 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t understand why it takes so long. 

You need to farangize the lot before leaving by getting them grades from a recognized school. Made a mistake by putting them in a bilingual one when a decade ago Thailand still showed promise, all destroyed now. 

Plan C if activated takes 8-10h to leave the country with the whole circus.

Edited by DrTuner

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

"After initially dismissing the epidemic as principally a Chinese problem, U.S. policymakers in recent days acknowledged it will damage the global and U.S. growth outlooks.

Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome H. Powell said this week that there will “very likely be some effects on the United States” from the epidemic, which has closed thousands of Chinese factories that supply American companies.

Among the first tangible effects in the United States is a decline in the number of Chinese tourists.

Visitors from China represent a lucrative market for U.S. airlines, hotels, luxury retailers and entertainment venues, with average spending of about $6,500 per person."

But the Pattaya Barstool Dillitant Brigade said when they travel the Chinese only buy instant noodles and gob a lot. ????

Of course the big difference is the effect on GDP.

US tourism in total, both domestic and international only amounts to 2.5% of GDP, and the Chinese portion of that is insignificant.

Thats a far cry from the significance of the tourism market for the Thai economy

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Beggar said:

"We might also propose that the Cabinet allow entrepreneurs who run businesses in the entertainment area to stay open until 4am, but we must first survey the operators and tourists to get their opinions.”

I think we had this already. If he asks me then I will leave Thailand when the red light districts can be open until 4 am. Far too many noisy sex bars at every corner here in Pattaya already and he still wants more. Me not. And TAT should be honest and make advertisement for Pattaya as one of the biggest red light district in the world and not as a destination for family tourists. 

Take away the Pattaya sex bars and you have a grotty Thai fishing village.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, impulse said:

But it's funny how so many on here object to being lumped into an unsavory category, while blind to the irony of lumping Indian and Chinese tourists into similar categories. 

There's more millionaires in China and India than there are in the UK.  Not a higher percentage, but just on sheer weight of numbers. 

But only the poor ones come here. The rich go to Europe etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't get it. He said the tourism dropped to half and Chinese tourism even to almost nothing? Then he goes on to say April will be good again and he even need to discuss measures to reduce airport congestion?? What b.s. is that? Want to make people believe that in April the airport will be incredible congested and all will be good again? Again lying to the people. Thai style to make hopes and then slowly slowly admit that they were false. How can govern a country based on lies and total disregard of the real situation...

Edited by P100
  • Like 2

How about taking serious steps to make long stay people NOT LEAVE? Instead of pushing them out?

What impact will have to extend bar closing times to 4a.m.? Is that the solution for Thailand's tourism problem? I never looked up bar opening times before decided for a country to go for holiday...

These government guys seem to live in a different word where reality has no impact on them...

Fix problems that are not real or at least not really big and important but leave unanswered the basic questions that require balls to be tackled...

Edited by P100
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, saengd said:

Expats on Thaivisa Forum regularly threaten to leave Thailand for good for a variety of reason but very few ever do, their reasons include pollution, excessive heat, excessive drought, immigration rules, unsafe banks, dirty streets and beaches, a strong baht, military rule, traffic road deaths, the grass is greener in Cambodia, Vietnam, the PI and Malaysia, it's Wednesday, my mate said I should!

It would be annoying if it was'nt true.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, CGW said:

Which village is missing it's idiot today? April, he is kidding himself at best! somehow I doubt the first thought for the Chinese, after being in quarantine for months and surviving will be a holiday in Thailand!

Forcing Chinese into extended coronavirus holidays on New Year means they all will have to recuperatethe missing working hours so no more holidays to contest airports in April. Stupid minister.

• Like 1

Curious... No mention of high baht, no mention of lack of Western tourists, no mention of high unemployment (especially for Thais) in tourist areas, no mention of ridiculous double pricing for tourists!!!

Someone,somewhere (at the very top downwards!!) needs to *get a grip* of LOS very quickly before it's too late.

• Like 1