Virus shaving tourism in half, minister says

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, NoComment said:

Curious... No mention of high baht, no mention of lack of Western tourists, no mention of high unemployment (especially for Thais) in tourist areas, no mention of ridiculous double pricing for tourists!!!

Someone,somewhere (at the very top downwards!!) needs to *get a grip* of LOS very quickly before it's too late.

Baht strength is a hindrance rather than a showstopper, ditto Western tourists since Asian tourism, especially Chinese tourism is on the upswing. High unemployment......the majority of Thai's who work in Phuket for example are seasonal transplants who return home to the North East (mainly) when the season is over, this year they'll just stay home longer. And finally double pricing, that's also not a show stopper, most visiting tourists aren't even aware of it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Baht strength is a hindrance rather than a showstopper, ditto Western tourists since Asian tourism, especially Chinese tourism is on the upswing. High unemployment......the majority of Thai's who work in Phuket for example are seasonal transplants who return home to the North East (mainly) when the season is over, this year they'll just stay home longer. And finally double pricing, that's also not a show stopper, most visiting tourists aren't even aware of it.

TAT minister just said that tourism is down for nearly 50 % for January, mostly because the lack of Chinese tourist. In deed a really strange upswing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Parsve said:

TAT minister just said that tourism is down for nearly 50 % for January, mostly because the lack of Chinese tourist. In deed a really strange upswing.

There was a concerted government (especially) interference in the markets to buy and push back the market from the large nervous declines.  I was watching airlines going up in market value - it would make no sense if there was not government entering the market to shore up markets.  China was definitely doing it, and I suspect it was co-ordinated. IMHO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:
On 2/13/2020 at 8:04 AM, impulse said:

But it's funny how so many on here object to being lumped into an unsavory category, while blind to the irony of lumping Indian and Chinese tourists into similar categories. 

There's more millionaires in China and India than there are in the UK.  Not a higher percentage, but just on sheer weight of numbers. 

But only the poor ones come here. The rich go to Europe etc.

That's just as true for rich UK tourists... 

In fact, a cashed up Brit looking for a long weekend away is more likely to hop a one hour flight to France or Spain than all the way to Thailand.  And a well heeled Chinese tourist enjoying a long weekend is more likely to take the 2-3 hour flight to Thailand than an all day journey to Europe.

Edited by impulse

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

. What might help is if the immigration stop treating western visitors like criminals if they want to visit more than once.

May I also add a point that they should not treat every south asian visitor as someody working in a restaurant illegally or working outside pattaya walking street night clubs as a calling agent.

Some of us may have more money in banks more than the lifelong salary of the thai I/O.

And that's just one bank account I am talking about. 

Thai I/O treat frequent south asian /indian visitors very badly. They just assume everyone who frequents Thailand is a chef in an indian restaurant and working illegally.

7 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

May I also add a point that they should not treat every south asian visitor as someody working in a restaurant illegally or working outside pattaya walking street night clubs as a calling agent.

Some of us may have more money in banks more than the lifelong salary of the thai I/O.

And that's just one bank account I am talking about. 

Thai I/O treat frequent south asian /indian visitors very badly. They just assume everyone who frequents Thailand is a chef in an indian restaurant and working illegally.

Similarly, some thais may have more money in banks more than lifelong salary of several farang retirees. There are millions of genuine Soth Asian & Indian tourists who visit here without being treated badly by any IO.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thaidream said:

That's a start/ Need alot more-

-Scrap the 2 land entries- unlimited entries allowed

-Scrap the alcohol hours- 24/7- let the market decide on opening and closing

-Lower the price of hotels and food by getting rid of the taxes on both to include the excissive wine tax

-No VAT on purchases from outlets and export

-All taxis everywhere must use meters

-Clean up the beaches and the water

-Bring back the street vendors and leave them alone

-Start a large marketing campaign  in Europe; North and South America and Australia that Thailand is open for business- you need to spend money to make money.

-Order every Immigration Officer at every port of entry to greet each person with a smile and Welcome to Thailand and sack anyone of them that are rude- ask- why you come to Thailand often or toss a passport at a visitor. 

You need people coming to Thailand often not IOs looking for ways to stop them from coming.

Totally agreed. Thai I/o's are rude.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:15 PM, Lacessit said:

Financially it does, socially and environmentally it doesn't. But most governments are focused on the bottom line.

If you want to see what mass tourism does, Halong Bay in Vietnam is a good example. One of the natural wonders of the world, and it looks like a junkyard.

I dont know about Halong Bay these days but about 15 years ago when I was there all those boats dropped all their seweage into the bay ...and heaps of tourists were swimming in it unwittingly . 

4 minutes ago, saakura said:

Based on sheer volume of the population, i am guessing that yes, India may be having tons of millionaires.

There could have been a lot more if the British didn't rule us.  But that's not the point here. I am saying that thai I/o's are rude. They treat a frequent visiting indian very badly.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, saakura said:

Similarly, some thais may have more money in banks more than lifelong salary of several farang retirees. There are millions of genuine Soth Asian & Indian tourists who visit here without being treated badly by any IO.

Never met a thai with money. All I see thais asking from indian money lenders lending money to thais illegally in Thailand. 

Never seen a thai with morals and ethics. 

A new topic is on its way. Let me get back to my bed and I will post.

10 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

There could have been a lot more if the British didn't rule us.  But that's not the point here. I am saying that thai I/o's are rude. They treat a frequent visiting indian very badly.

India was a kand of filthy savages before Britain colonised.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

India was a kand of filthy savages before Britain colonised.

No it wasn't. But that's not the point of discussion here. 

I don't care what your teacher told you about imperialism. Again that's not the point of discussion here. 

No matter where we come from. We just want to have a good time and enjoy. And the way thai I/o's treat us is not appropriate. 

They don't have guts to raid walking street where tons of South Asians are working illegally but they would harass an innocent south asian who just visits to meet his gf.

Edited by lovethai123

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

India was a lot more civilized for more than a millenia before Briton - who were still painting themselves like smurfs when the Romans arrived ????

I had to google "smurfs" but thanks for the laugh.

9 hours ago, Parsve said:

What part of flu pandemic do you not understand!

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

That's a start/ Need alot more-

-Scrap the 2 land entries- unlimited entries allowed

-Scrap the alcohol hours- 24/7- let the market decide on opening and closing

-Lower the price of hotels and food by getting rid of the taxes on both to include the excissive wine tax

-No VAT on purchases from outlets and export

-All taxis everywhere must use meters

-Clean up the beaches and the water

-Bring back the street vendors and leave them alone

-Start a large marketing campaign  in Europe; North and South America and Australia that Thailand is open for business- you need to spend money to make money.

-Order every Immigration Officer at every port of entry to greet each person with a smile and Welcome to Thailand and sack anyone of them that are rude- ask- why you come to Thailand often or toss a passport at a visitor. 

You need people coming to Thailand often not IOs looking for ways to stop them from coming.

Everyone should have a wish list.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, purcho said:

I dont know about Halong Bay these days but about 15 years ago when I was there all those boats dropped all their seweage into the bay ...and heaps of tourists were swimming in it unwittingly . 

They passenger boats to Venice do the same in Italy..

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

So China has closed its borders because of the virus, neighbouring countries, and western countries also, but Thailand is welcoming in the Chinese with open arms. Can't even comprehend this.

And the world is wearing mouthmasks....yesterday in the whole huge mall i counted one with a mouthmask....and she was pregnant..

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

And the world is wearing mouthmasks....yesterday in the whole huge mall i counted one with a mouthmask....and she was pregnant..

people are simply following medical advice that wearing a face mask has extremely little affect in preventing infection with the coronavirus

Dr David Carrington, of St George's, University of London, told BBC News "routine surgical masks for the public are not an effective protection against viruses or bacteria carried in the air", which was how "most viruses" were transmitted, because they were too loose, had no air filter and left the eyes exposed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

1 minute ago, samsensam said:

people are simply following medical advice that wearing a face mask has extremely little affect in preventing infection with the coronavirus

Dr David Carrington, of St George's, University of London, told BBC News "routine surgical masks for the public are not an effective protection against viruses or bacteria carried in the air", which was how "most viruses" were transmitted, because they were too loose, had no air filter and left the eyes exposed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

Yes but N95 masks work much better.