Marriage Extension Requirements - 3 questions

Really aiming this at Ubonjoe because he seems to have all the definitive answers.

Got to trundle into CW for my marriage extension application in a couple of weeks and wanted to check up on two points raised by reading posts on here.

First is the Kor Ror 22 for foreign marriages. We've got this document, very impressive and to me at least totally incomprehensible, comprising a buff vellum certificate and a copy of a double sided paper signed by 4 people, one of who was apparently the mayor my wife says. We got these papers when we went to CW with the Apostille marriage certificate and birth certificate from the UK Government stamped by the Royal Thai Embassy and then translated in Bangkok and legalised by CW, and then to the amphur with all the papers plus a signed letter from the British Embassy concerning my passport. 

I can tell you it was a real paper chase to get all the documents for the amphur but my wife also needed to update her i.d card, and update the house book with her married name. At the same time I had to jump through multiple hoops including providing a licensed (expensive) interpreter in order to get a yellow house book for me plus the pink i.d card.

So I read that for the marriage extension we need a new Kor Ror 22? Is that correct? For 3 years they have accepted the one we already got, a new one won't show anything different except maybe a date stamp? Surely if we are together in CW for the application - as we are every year, that is evidence? 

The other thing I read is that the pictures outside the house, in the house and garden and in the bedroom are no longer acceptable printed hi-res full colour with two on an A4 page but have to be on glossy photo paper? I can do this but not if it is not necessary. In the past only the passport size picture is on glossy paper that they stick on the application form, they have always accepted without demur the colour prints.

Can someone in the know, or the admirable Ubonjoe (getting poetic) please advise on Chang Wattana's requirements.

The last thing is the money - we have the required 400,000 in the bank for the required 3 months already, and will keep it until after we are (hopefully) called in to get the extension stamp 5 weeks after applying so we can photo-copy the bank book on the day again, but is that it? We need to borrow some of that money for a few months - is that then in order?

Thank you for valued comments!

Not sure if CW is wanting a updated Kor Ror 22 or not. Your wife could get one at any Amphoe/Khet by showing her ID card, completing a form for a fee of 20 baht.

I have not seen any reports of changes to CW's photo requirements.

The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply. CW will want a copy of your updated bank book to prove the 400k is still in the bank when you go back to get your one year extension stamp.

In Rayong the Kor Ror 22 is only valid for 3 years and the pictures didn't need to be on glossy paper but we have been refused once when they didn't consider the quality high enough. 

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

CW will want a copy of your updated bank book to prove the 400k is still in the bank when you go back to get your one year extension stamp.

The five extensions we have done have never required this, we just go and get the extension stamp.

32 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

In Rayong the Kor Ror 22 is only valid for 3 years and the pictures didn't need to be on glossy paper but we have been refused once when they didn't consider the quality high enough. 

The five extensions we have done have never required this, we just go and get the extension stamp.

I think that the KR22 is only valid for a year? maybe Rayong accepts it for 3 years. 

Anyone?

I always send the wife to collect a fresh one every year, might save her some petrol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It varies from office to office. Many want a updated Kor Ror 2 or 22 every year.

Just to muddy things even further, at Khon Kaen this week we were told that we could no longer use a Kor Ror 4 when doing a marriage extension, it must be a Kor Ror 2. We've been using a Kor Ror 4 (new one each year) for the last 4 years. They then accepted the Kor Ror 4 anyway but said they may call us back to provide a Kor Ror 2.

I gave them matte photos and they were ok with them.

I also had to provide 2 photos of my 27 year-old son plus a copy of his id. No idea why, having children isn't a requirement for a marriage extension.

They also spent some time asking about my family back in the UK, mother, father and sister. At the end of it all they had both myself and my wife sign a paper each which was completely in Thai (apart from my name) without any explanation of what it contained.

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

At the end of it all they had both myself and my wife sign a paper each which was completely in Thai (apart from my name) without any explanation of what it contained.

Didn’t somebody ask what the gist of the paper was ? Sure they would have given your wife a quick run down had she asked.

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Just to muddy things even further, at Khon Kaen this week we were told that we could no longer use a Kor Ror 4 when doing a marriage extension, it must be a Kor Ror 2. We've been using a Kor Ror 4 (new one each year) for the last 4 years. They then accepted the Kor Ror 4 anyway but said they may call us back to provide a Kor Ror 2.

I gave them matte photos and they were ok with them.

I also had to provide 2 photos of my 27 year-old son plus a copy of his id. No idea why, having children isn't a requirement for a marriage extension.

They also spent some time asking about my family back in the UK, mother, father and sister. At the end of it all they had both myself and my wife sign a paper each which was completely in Thai (apart from my name) without any explanation of what it contained.

I do my extension at Khon Kaen as well and was told the Kor Ror 2 was only valid for 1 month, which means getting a new one every year. Most of my family details are already in their computer database so wasn’t asked any questions concerning family back in Australia, and no problem also with matte photos provided we only supply 2 photos showing letterbox with address, 1 outside garage and 1 in the garden never any inside the house and they are fine with that.

19 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Didn’t somebody ask what the gist of the paper was ? Sure they would have given your wife a quick run down had she asked.

I asked the wife, she said she didn't care enough to get her glasses out.

In fact, after spending the best part of 3.5hrs in there I was reaching the point of not caring also.

Edited by nahkit

21 hours ago, nahkit said:

That is the standard statement that is done when applying for an extension based upon marriage.

The questions asked were to fill in the blanks on it.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:09 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is the standard statement that is done when applying for an extension based upon marriage.

The questions asked were to fill in the blanks on it.

I honestly don't remember being questioned like that in any of the previous years that I have done my extension.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, cliveshep said:

So I read that for the marriage extension we need a new Kor Ror 22? Is that correct? For 3 years they have accepted the one we already got, a new one won't show anything different except maybe a date stamp? Surely if we are together in CW for the application - as we are every year, that is evidence? 

A new one attests that since registering your marriage there is no record of divorce, therefore the assumption is that your still legally married.

Had you registered a divorce, then the Amphur wouldn't issue a new Kor Ror 2/22.

Edited by Tanoshi

Clearly information on this topic is not easily available and my wife 'phoned Laksi to ask them. Naturally the muppet who answered the phone didn't have a clue and told her to come in and ask an I.O face to face.

I said to my wife "no way - Laksi is at least 2 hours away in traffic and that is in polluted air, and it wastes money we cannot afford to throw away - lets go to the local amphur!"

She refused - "had to go to CW at Laksi", but I persisted and in the end rather angry she went off to bed with her smart-phone to do a bit of private research.

So this morning - conceded that perhaps she might possible be wrong and ok - we'd go to the amphur.

So we went, had to get a queuing ticket and the Coronavirus did us a favour, got a ticket from the machine and immediately they were calling our number. The place was deserted except for one pretty girl who sat next to us also getting her 1st Kor Ror 22. And no one wore the useless masks either. 

Anyway, 30 minutes later the original was called up on their computer, dates altered, saved and 3 copies printed out for the staggering amount of.................10 baht....and we were out the door.

The friendly lady told us that we could have gone into any government offices and got the updated one. Well, maybe so but this was the nearest one.

So - 10 baht and we are up to date even if it only lasts a month we are going to CW beginning of March and will ask exactly what their requirements are in regards to the age of the Kor Ror 22 and also Kor Ror 2 and tell on here.