Visiting Nan

HashBrownHarry

While it is still cool in the early morning, afternoon temperatures are already in the 30s so expect mid march to be warmer than that.  As for nice scenery, expect the smoke to get worse over the next month or two, until we get some significant rain.  You could still have a nice trip, depending on your expectations and what you plan on doing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villagefarang said:

While it is still cool in the early morning, afternoon temperatures are already in the 30s so expect mid march to be warmer than that.  As for nice scenery, expect the smoke to get worse over the next month or two, until we get some significant rain.  You could still have a nice trip, depending on your expectations and what you plan on doing.

Thanks for that.

Any hotels to recommend?

5 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The whole world is unhealthy, this does not concern me.

Thanks for the doom though.

" ... Just looking for somewhere to chill out for a few days with nice scenery ..."

people visiting nan because of the good and fresh air, and also enjoing the beautyful scenery. 

mid of march you likely will not find anything of that.

anyway, i wish you a very relaxing and smoky time in the north ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, motdaeng said:

" ... Just looking for somewhere to chill out for a few days with nice scenery ..."

people visiting nan because of the good and fresh air, and also enjoing the beautyful scenery. 

mid of march you likely will not find anything of that.

anyway, i wish you a very relaxing and smoky time in the north ...

Thx

Are you with a personal vehicle?
If so, you could go to Bo Kleua, the salt village;
You will have magnificent mountain landscapes which are likely to be somewhat smoky;
and take a vehicle with some power because the percentages of the roads are sometimes surprising, even if the figure 8% is visible almost everywhere, it is rare that it is only 8%; I know that in quite a few places, it's rather 18% and sometimes even more.

1822417347_DSCN2395_Nan_province_1081(Copy).thumb.JPG.c8b17967f772104772df2972523127f2.JPG

1548969469_DSCN2382_Nan_Bo_Kleua(Copy).thumb.JPG.9a91acb7331daed3f2b4f09b297d4cd7.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:26 AM, Assurancetourix said:

Are you with a personal vehicle?
If so, you could go to Bo Kleua, the salt village;
You will have magnificent mountain landscapes which are likely to be somewhat smoky;
and take a vehicle with some power because the percentages of the roads are sometimes surprising, even if the figure 8% is visible almost everywhere, it is rare that it is only 8%; I know that in quite a few places, it's rather 18% and sometimes even more.

1822417347_DSCN2395_Nan_province_1081(Copy).thumb.JPG.c8b17967f772104772df2972523127f2.JPG

1548969469_DSCN2382_Nan_Bo_Kleua(Copy).thumb.JPG.9a91acb7331daed3f2b4f09b297d4cd7.JPG

Yes, i will have a vehicle 

I've been meaning to go for a while but always seem to miss the best time of year.

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've been meaning to go for a while but always seem to miss the best time of year.

I do not know it; ( the best time )

I think villagefarang would know better than me to answer you.
Let’s say that the end of the rainy season seems to me the best time,

so  in November

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:36 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Any hotels to recommend?

It's always difficult to answer that kind of question;
we do not know what level of comfort you prefer;
if a basic comfort like hotel 24/24 is sufficient, you will find everywhere from a sum sometimes derisory 250 or 300 baht per night.
In fact not as derisory as that because it is still almost 10 euros; :w00t:
otherwise you can sleep in a Wat, a mat on the floor, and the shower with the bowl and cold water in the morning; all for zero baht ... :cheesy:

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It's always difficult to answer that kind of question;
we do not know what level of comfort you prefer;
if a basic comfort like hotel 24/24 is sufficient, you will find everywhere from a sum sometimes derisory 250 or 300 baht per night.
In fact not as derisory as that because it is still almost 10 euros; :w00t:
otherwise you can sleep in a Wat, a mat on the floor, and the shower with the bowl and cold water in the morning; all for zero baht ... :cheesy:

Hilarious.

5 hours ago, XJ650 said:

I have been up here in the North 18 years and for me the Rainy Season is the best time.  We have rain around 4 days a week but it is only for an hour and most of the time late afternoon, evening or nighttime. We can have rain for a whole day but it is normally not more than one day per month.  I played golf 3-4 days a week for 15 years and we had to stop for the rain one time during all these years.  The views are the best during the Rainy Season, everything has nice colors and you can see miles when up in the mountains. Have a nice trip! 

Thanks for the info, what month(s) would you recommend?

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Thanks for the info, what month(s) would you recommend?

For me July to middle of November.  More fresh nature July to September but a cooler from middle of September. Smoke starts nowadays already in middle-end of October (if good views are important).  

• Like 1