British man launches Go Fund Me page to help with legal bills after fatal traffic accident in Thailand

webfact

Shrewsbury man in plea for funds after death of pensioner in Thailand collision

By Keri Trigg | Shrewsbury | News

Brit.jpg

Clive Everall, 54, was teaching English in Thailand

A plasterer from Shropshire who hit a 77-year-old and killed him while riding his motorbike in Thailand is appealing for help to pay his legal bills so he can return home.

Clive Everall, 54, from Shrewsbury, had been teaching English at a school in the country.

He said the Thai authorities had accepted the incident was accidental, but when he had attempted to return to the UK he was arrested, and has since been asked to pay compensation to the man’s family.

Mr Everall had been volunteering in the country for four months when he hit the 77-year-old on January 29.

He had been teaching English at Uttaradit High School on the morning of the incident, and says he was fully sober and driving safely but “could not avoid” the man.

Mr Everall says he was told by police that he had not been at fault.

Full story: https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/shrewsbury/2020/02/13/shrewsbury-man-in-plea-for-funds-after-death-of-pensioner-in-thailand-collision/

-- Shropshire Star 2020-02-14

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If he’s not being charged with an offense, I don’t see what legal reason they (the BiB) have to keep him here. 
It seems there is a lot missing from this story. 

You remember how OJ dodged the bullet in the CRIMINAL case but came a cropper in the CIVIL one?

Same same... but different.

5 minutes ago, rgrdns said:

I wonder how one even negotiate the compensation outside the court....who decides/sets the final price RTP?

There must be a law with a minimum and maximum compensation?

Any input?

100-200k is the norm but if you are super rich more will be expected but you can always let a Court Judge decide.

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

100-200k is the norm but if you are super rich more will be expected but you can always let a Court Judge decide.

Thx...one of the reasons I avoid as much as I can to drive a car or motorcycle here, a scary thought if it happens to you!

• Like 1