BANGKOK
webfact

British man launches Go Fund Me page to help with legal bills after fatal traffic accident in Thailand

He will certainly need 1,000 bt bail money, and a reasonable lawyer he will need for the trial date will be around 50,000 to 70,000 Baht plus he will need a translator 

Just now, mindfulness said:

He will certainly need 1,000 bt bail money, and a reasonable lawyer he will need for the trial date will be around 50,000 to 70,000 Baht plus he will need a translator 

The <deleted> capt bib was assisting a drunk rider who hit me doing he attempted a reckless overtaking manoeuvre. The drunk bike rider ended up with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung.

First he attempted no doubt having his strings pulled by the ‘rouge wild hog’ 130, then it went down to 100,000bt a few weeks later, then it went down to 80,000 a few weeks later. 

I ended up with the court fine of 3,000bt his pillon passenger wife ended up with me giving her 9,000 bt she originally asked the court for 30,000bt 

I told the judge via an interpreter that she knew he was drunk so she had to take a third of the responsibility, and asked the court to inform her the other third she should get from her husband who caused the accident being drunk, so I said for my third I will provided her with 9,000 bt

I had to pursue the drunk privately 50,000bt as the police did not charge him. He ended up with a 6 month prison sentence and 25,000bt fine. plus him being a Burmese migrant worker deported after his prison sentence. 

The wild hog is still doing his dirty work no doubt ! 

On 2/16/2020 at 9:50 PM, Puccini said:

You don't travel to Thailand to buy legal insurance there. You buy it in your home country before you get on the plane.

Obviously,

But there are people living here for who Thailand is their home country.

I had some plastering done a couple of years ago back in the UK.  Given the hourly rates I was quoted I'm surprised this man needs GoFundMe - he must have blown a lot of money somewhere...

From what I understand he will owe 1 million for that life.

1st class (and I believe even 2nd class) insurance has an allowance for that.

If he really couldn't avoid the accident I wonder if it was even his fault. A lawyer, instead of admission of fault, may have sorted it all out.

Shame really, gotta feel sorry for the guy nonetheless.

• Like 1

We should all donate to help this guy out...I’ll throw some baht if you all are willing....

On 2/14/2020 at 6:26 AM, CelticBhoy said:

A better photo with the article may garner some sympathy, methinks.

yes the LEO does not help for sure

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

We should all donate to help this guy out...I’ll throw some baht if you all are willing....

Read Post #60 before you reach into your pocket, or start feeling sorry for the guy for being "extorted" as some others have commiserated...

MY FRIEND WORKED WITH THIS MAN. This story is not what happened at ALL. We all work for the same agency, and this has become a bit of scandal amongst us all. If you really read his version of the story, there are a lot of things that don't add up. If he had a chance to see everything that the family was doing, how far the elderly man was, why didn't he STOP? 

The version that was witnessed by the community, and several other teachers: This man is loose cannon that repeatedly threatened other teachers with violence for the most random reasons. He was definitely speeding when he hit the man, and had kept HONKING prior to hitting him. (If you have time to honk, you definitely have time to hit your brakes.) He hit the man so hard, the man rolled over three times. 

There were supposed to be two investigations: the police's investigation, and the family's private investigation. The police one had already finished, and they told him so, but they said to STAY in the country for the other investigation. Everall was ordered to pay 1 million baht for the family-- which he never took responsibility for.

On top of all that, he also skipped out on his rent, his utility bills, and damage fees for throwing cigarette butts on top of cars and leaving burn marks. He was only fired by our agency after he was caught punching some thai university kid in the face during an argument. This guy is INSANE and is definitely playing the victim here.

In fairness, the poster on #60 only has one post to his account, so there is some question as to the validity of his claims.  But there seems to be a tendency here to take the GoFunder's story and the article based on his story as gospel truth.  

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 2

On 2/14/2020 at 12:58 PM, crazykopite said:

Teaching English as a volunteer that’s a new one on me . I would assume his bike was insured so why is the insurance company paying up , at least he is not in prison looks like the de eased family will be looking for a far bigger sum of money as Thais think we farangs grow money in the back garden.

Not long after the Military Coup, in November 2006, they changed the rules for teachers so that to remain being a teacher the "teacher" either needed a degree, could work as an "administrator" or be a "volunteer teacher", the last requiring one to sign a form stating that you were working for no salary, but received free lunch and free accommodation provided by the school. (I will not comment about the salary).