British man launches Go Fund Me page to help with legal bills after fatal traffic accident in Thailand

webfact

Teaching English as a volunteer that’s a new one on me . I would assume his bike was insured so why is the insurance company paying up , at least he is not in prison looks like the de eased family will be looking for a far bigger sum of money as Thais think we farangs grow money in the back garden.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bassosa said:

He's an English teacher but by the looks of the GoFundMe-page he's not a native speaker/writer. How does that work?

Likewise how does he get to wear a tag when foreigners are either bailed (££ /no tag) or held on remand?

Edited by evadgib

49 minutes ago, rgrdns said:

Thx...one of the reasons I avoid as much as I can to drive a car or motorcycle here, a scary thought if it happens to you!

Just try not to kill anyone and you should be ok people tend to rely too much on insurance these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Money and an easy target by the sound of it ????

Not at all , for him to be arrested as he tried to leave means he was placed on immigration data base blacklist. I think he either not telling the truth or did not understand what was happening . He is also asking for legal fees yet stating money to pay the family 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:
2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

He's an English teacher but by the looks of the GoFundMe-page he's not a native speaker/writer. How does that work?

Not sure I'd go so far as to say he doesn't sound like a native speaker but for an English teacher he shows a shockingly poor grasp of punctuation and grammar. Maybe he was only teaching conversational English but I would pity any Thai taught to write English by him.

I agree.  He's really a plasterer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, khunpa said:

200K if hit on the road by a farang and about half that (110K) if shot down in a shopping center by a Thai. Hmm..

I think the lesson to learn from this is always have around 250 - 500K put a side in case something like this should happen.

Always have between 1 and 3 million put away for emergencies..something like this for example..other legal stuff,health issues and repatriation if necessary.

Otherwise you're swingin' in the breeze.

Edited by Odysseus123

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:
2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

As I understand the facts, the man was driving his motorbike and he hit a pedestrian who was crossing the road.

Where do you read this? From the article: "... driving safely but “could not avoid” the man" means for me, that the old man suddenly stepped out the street without looking (as usual in Thailand). No chance for the driver. 

He read it in the link to the Go Fund Me page, your interpretation of only what was reported in the OP is  irrelevant and wrong. 

Edited by Just Weird

5 hours ago, pmarlin said:

This is really getting old with people wanting other people to bail them out. The guy is in his fifties and should be able to help himself.

Yes I do tend to agree...we are only talking about £,5000 of which he has nearly half given to him already----surely he can come up with the rest---- he must earn at least a £1,000 a week in the UK........but he is sitting here paying out money to live...& waiting for others to pay instead of trying to lend from Friends/family there. I don't mean to sound really unsympathetic...but this go fund me page really does get a bashing.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Sad 1

Agreed that there is more to this story, if the police accept this as an accident, but, he hasn't stressed who the police are blaming? If it is agreed that the old man stepped into the path of the motorbike, leaving the drive no options to avoid. then the fault is with the old man. then no fee, no charge and he should counter claim for any damage, injury or loss of earnings. if he was driving without basic insurance which covers injury and 3rd party lost. Then he was driving illegally and in fact should not have been there to be involved. so missing is several things ....insurance, and the need to be tagged guides us to that. as to go fund  for lawyer fees why? the amount is way to much for lawyer fees and an australian? suggest you go to court who can suggest a Thai lawyer (They are not all crooks!) sell the motorbike and offer the cash to the family, dealt with at the police station, but, then it sounds as if he has upset them as well?

Edited by phetpeter

1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

This is really getting old with people wanting other people to bail them out. The guy is in his fifties and should be able to help himself.

Shouldn't the "protest" against gofundme and similar be..... don't fund it? If every time someone asks for money from people got old, that would be a long list.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If he’s not being charged with an offense, I don’t see what legal reason they (the BiB) have to keep him here. 
It seems there is a lot missing from this story. 

Read the OP link. The guy has been arrested and charged for something. If you read his gofundme page his description of the accident does seem to leave him to be open for a charge of careless driving causing death.

• Like 2