British man launches Go Fund Me page to help with legal bills after fatal traffic accident in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

It's a screwed up system!   I understand if it's a worker the Thai family rely on for their income but a 77 year old is unlikely to be holding done a 9 to 5 job.  Part time maybe.  

It might be argued that an economic burden has been lifted from the family?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with its not mentioned everything if he totally clear why he have to pay. They hold him till the court hearing so have some kind of charge. If i not guilty no way i pay any compensation! The other part insurance have to pay my motorbike damage if any!

I don't know what visa the guy has got but I got full cover in England to cover any accident claims for myself & third party, full hospital cover. I also declared that I have got bladder cancer & heart problems. I'm male 74 yrs old & got all this cover for non imm o 90 days for £261 which a younger man without my health declaration would be much cheaper. People should do the insurance premium before setting out to Thailand. I think it was very cheap for a man of my age.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And I bet there are more people "behind the scene" that want their share of the 200 000b cake....

After accidents like this the police negotiate the compensation with a generous cut for themselves.  That is the normal procedure in these cases.  Obviously the amount of compensation is based on how much they think they can milk from mark.

58 minutes ago, tonray said:

A lot of broken old sods end up here in Thailand. A final escape from a lfe of failures. They don't suddenly become responsible and wealthy on the plane ride over.

and we all get painted by the same brush by association, won't break my heart if the screening to get in the country gets tougher...

He was not at fault but police ordered to pay compensation?

Thailand pure. Who is the police to arrest him because civil claims?

To be learned: Do not rent a bike without insurance even.if 99.99% have none. You always can buy a private one for no money! Especially a long stayer for 4 months. 

Ask any insurance broker (and not the motor bike shop). Even if u come only for some days, leave and return later that year. Just take out a contract for a year, it's so cheap...

Edited by P100
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I can see this type of accident happening here.

And of course he needs to pay.

Good luck to him sure hope his fellow Brits come thru with sufficient donations.

Any forienger  that drives in Thailand should have third party insurance including the obligatory one. If they don't they are really stupid. I dont have any sympathgy for him.

• Like 1

Its pretty usual in Thailand to have to pay compensation to the victim whether or not you were at fault. If you were not at fault, the compensation is usually one third to half of what it would be if you were at fault. The same seems to apply to Thai people and farang people alike.

My wife's son hit and killed a young man on a motorbike while driving his car. The man was drunk and he (the son) could not avoid him. The police agreed he was not at fault, but negotiated a 200,000 Baht pay out to the deceased. He has to report to court every 3 months until the payment is completed.

• Like 1

If not found guilty he should just pay for the cremation and 20.000 Baht is enough. Perhaps one newspaper will publish the name of the family and their reasons so that other Thais know?

Stevemercer, where is the legal basis for those 200.000? Did it ever appear to you they were fooled? Why let police negotiate when there is a court?

Edited by otaku00

8 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Its pretty usual in Thailand to have to pay compensation to the victim whether or not you were at fault. If you were not at fault, the compensation is usually one third to half of what it would be if you were at fault. The same seems to apply to Thai people and farang people alike.

My wife's son hit and killed a young man on a motorbike while driving his car. The man was drunk and he (the son) could not avoid him. The police agreed he was not at fault, but negotiated a 200,000 Baht pay out to the deceased. He has to report to court every 3 months until the payment is completed.

No justice in that.

52 minutes ago, flexomike said:
10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So what's the compulsory insurance for then if it's not for compensating 3rd parties?

52 minutes ago, flexomike said:

That only pays for injuries 

Not according to this broker and I've read it in others as well.

https://www.roojai.com/en/car-insurance/compulsory/

1 minute ago, BestB said:

In which case further proves he was not all cleared by police as he is claiming 

To give the guy the benefit of doubt, is it possible that some officer's opinion is different from some other officer's opinion ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

To give the guy the benefit of doubt, is it possible that some officer's opinion is different from some other officer's opinion ?

Not so easy to end up on immigration black list just because of officers opinion. And as someone with knowledge of the guy already posted. He was told to stay in the country but tried to do the runner 

• Like 1