BANGKOK
webfact

British man launches Go Fund Me page to help with legal bills after fatal traffic accident in Thailand

48 minutes ago, evadgib said:

how does he get to wear a tag when foreigners are either bailed (££ /no tag) or held on remand?

The judge has the authority, and the discretion, to do that that's how.

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

for him to be arrested as he tried to leave means he was placed on immigration data base blacklist.

There was an arrest warrant that had been issued for him.

Sorry to say that, but if you don't have 200k for emergencies, you shouldn't travel the world, especially at his age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, pmarlin said:

This is really getting old with people wanting other people to bail them out. The guy is in his fifties and should be able to help himself.

Yes I do tend to agree...we are only talking about £,5000 of which he has nearly half given to him already----surely he can come up with the rest---- he must earn at least a £1,000 a week in the UK........but he is sitting here paying out money to live...& waiting for others to pay instead of trying to lend from Friends/family there. I don't mean to sound really unsympathetic...but this go fund me page really does get a bashing.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Sad 1

Agreed that there is more to this story, if the police accept this as an accident, but, he hasn't stressed who the police are blaming? If it is agreed that the old man stepped into the path of the motorbike, leaving the drive no options to avoid. then the fault is with the old man. then no fee, no charge and he should counter claim for any damage, injury or loss of earnings. if he was driving without basic insurance which covers injury and 3rd party lost. Then he was driving illegally and in fact should not have been there to be involved. so missing is several things ....insurance, and the need to be tagged guides us to that. as to go fund  for lawyer fees why? the amount is way to much for lawyer fees and an australian? suggest you go to court who can suggest a Thai lawyer (They are not all crooks!) sell the motorbike and offer the cash to the family, dealt with at the police station, but, then it sounds as if he has upset them as well?

Edited by phetpeter

1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

This is really getting old with people wanting other people to bail them out. The guy is in his fifties and should be able to help himself.

Shouldn't the "protest" against gofundme and similar be..... don't fund it? If every time someone asks for money from people got old, that would be a long list.

• Like 1

I'm afraid his account of the incident left me scratching my head. He clearly have a lot of time to slow down. He observed the family crossing the road ahead of the old guy. Observed the guy changing his mind and making his way back to the path and then changing his mind again and going for the crossing and in the meantime freezing in the middle of the road. Aren't we taught when driving to slow right down when hazards like this are apparent. To kill a guy on impact means to me he had not slowed down after this observation and was obviously still driving at a speed fast enough to kill someone. Did the guy die of his injuries or perhaps was in poor health and died of other causes? 

This is still a tragic accident of course whichever way you look at it but as an afterthought maybe could have been avoided.

Maybe others have more information and hopefully I can be corrected in my thoughts.

The missus just made a suggestion to me. She says why does he not forget about the lawyer take the 2000 quid he raised and pay off the family/police. Job done. I had to laugh but I think she is spot on.

Den 

Edited by denby45
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If he’s not being charged with an offense, I don’t see what legal reason they (the BiB) have to keep him here. 
It seems there is a lot missing from this story. 

Read the OP link. The guy has been arrested and charged for something. If you read his gofundme page his description of the accident does seem to leave him to be open for a charge of careless driving causing death.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

That is what brought many of us here in the first place.

Hard to beat some Gai Yang with sticky rice

volunteering...in other words

6 hours ago, Preacher said:

Volunteering? I understood he was employed.

yes sounds sus