British man launches Go Fund Me page to help with legal bills after fatal traffic accident in Thailand

webfact

£10,000 go fund me (400K baht)?  

If compensation is ordered at 200K baht, why does he need 400K baht?  If he has the compensation money, then he wouldn't need this Aussie lawyer that wants fees up front anymore, right?  With the attention of UK Consular services assisting him at this point, he should only need to pay & then get spirited away.  -Or is the extra £5000 for airfare?

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

Sometimes Thais prefer the police for negotiations as the agreed sum is paid immediately, rather than going to Court with an uncertain, though possibly higher compensation outcome.

How could it be higher than 200.000? There is no legal ground for this. Just look at the fees that are set up for real crimes. And that is only if you are guilty. This is makebelieve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Puritan... apt, but think about changing your handle to ‘Sanctimonious One’....

Someone’s wealth or visa Statius has absolutely nothing to do with their responsibility towards paying a private compensation when absolved of blame in an accident.

I’m not sure what happened in the accident, but, perhaps the old guy just stepped out in to the road... in this instance, why should the driver pay? (Just a hypothetical situation, but also a probability out here).

So many posters haven't read the thread. Quite a detailed account of the Brit and incident has already been posted

17 hours ago, Bassosa said:

He's an English teacher but by the looks of the GoFundMe-page he's not a native speaker/writer. How does that work?

I was just thinking exactly the same thing!! Awful level of written english. He doesn't look like the most highly educated of chaps lets be honest.

This story reminds me of this British Pakistani who I worked with in a school in Bangkok. He was basically illiterate (no degree or A-levels) but was a real bully and thought he was something special, sweet talking the thai staff as he had picked up some thai teaching in some Hat Yai backwater school. Luckily he finally talked behind one too many backs and everyone realised what I saw from the start, so he got binned. Last I heard he was back working as a bouncer in the midlands!

There are thousands of dregs from UK society who end up as teachers in Thailand. It's sad because there are actually some very good and enthusiastic TEFL teachers here but they get tarnished by all the losers who are total failures in their home countries.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Preacher said:

Volunteering? I understood he was employed.

From my limited knowledge, even when volunteering the correct permits required, and you are somehow classified as being "employed" but not receiving salary.

In Oz when volunteering you are covered insurances for injury etc you may suffer, and roles and expectation same as employed individual

Or do you believe he was receiving a salary?

If it was a Thai it would’ve done ended with a waii and some merit making. Once whitey is involved it’s time for a rinsing. No respect for the dead man or humility towards the gentleman who killed someone in accident, it’s all greed and a lust for money. Buddhist me backside.

Edited by teacherbrendan
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It dosen't state whether or not he holds a valid motorbike licence. If he did not then any insurance would be void anyway. And he should be made to pay compensation. No licence means he would have been at fault, whether the accident was his fault or not.

22 hours ago, Youlike said:

Why the insurance doesn't pay? Did he have a driverslicense?

I would say as he has been here for 4 months as a volunteer English teacher, he would not have the appropriate drivers/riders license as most don't, and if the car/motorbike he was driving/riding was insured, they wouldn't cover him as that is in the fine print of all insurers, i.e. all drivers/riders must have the appropriate drivers/riders license to drive/ride in that country.

I have both licenses for my homeland and Thailand, plus insurance, and anyone who gets on the road in another country without the above is open slather, a little like having no private health cover (if you can get it), because I have little faith in the Government hospitals to treat me with the exception of some.

Being a farang, and the deceased being 77, the court will decide the compensation for the family, albeit it as little as it will be because I would think the deceased wouldn't of had a long life in front of him, but then again, we are in Thailand and anything goes. 

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

From my limited knowledge, even when volunteering the correct permits required, and you are somehow classified as being "employed" but not receiving salary.

In Oz when volunteering you are covered insurances for injury etc you may suffer, and roles and expectation same as employed individual

Or do you believe he was receiving a salary?

Volunteers require a work permit, but do not need a teaching license.

To my knowledge that school doesn't have foreign volunteers. Also, someone who works at the school has already stated he was employed by an agency and not volunteering. Jobs for that school are often displayed on ajarn.com through an agency. 

The point is that if the volunteering is not true, what else is not true. Always makes me wonder.

Accidents happen unfortunately,I’ve seen the go-fund page 40,000 baht for some Aussie lawyer and just over 2k raised,. According to reports the Thai family want 200,000 Baht which i believe around 5k. Previously read you also went to the mans funeral ( Buddhists burnt ) told could leave the country by the police,should have had this in writing “.then arrested trying to leave the country,. British embassy should be helping and not down to a go-fund page ! Sadly this is Thailand and money number one hopefully it gets resolved and your allowed to return back to the u.k

Sadly the photo does little to help the cause with a bottle of beer in full view ‘like you say wasn’t drunk and I’m sure the breathalyzer backs that up ‘therefor i wouldn’t be paying either and would expect my insurance to cover any legal costs amongst any other costs incurred,.

Get a boat to Malaysia and a train to Kuala Lumpur and go to your embassy and tell them you lost your passport. Don’t put up with this banana republic BS and their kangaroo courts and Mickey Mouse “justice” systems designed of and by and for locals to extract money from foreigners. Just leave and let them wait for your return, which of course you shouldn’t do until after the statute of limitations, is there is one, has expired. You shouldn’t be penalized any more than you already have been. Let the locals - insurance company, vehicle owner, police, family of deceased, and every other party with their hands out work things out on their own. Surely the next farang with deep pockets will fall into their lap a matter of days and you’ll soon be forgotten. You’ve already paid more in your time and aggravation than you ever should have had to pay.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jasonsamui55 said:

Get a boat to Malaysia and a train to Kuala Lumpur and go to your embassy and tell them you lost your passport. Don’t put up with this banana republic BS and their kangaroo courts and Mickey Mouse “justice” systems designed of and by and for locals to extract money from foreigners. Just leave and let them wait for your return, which of course you shouldn’t do until after the statute of limitations, is there is one, has expired. You shouldn’t be penalized any more than you already have been. Let the locals - insurance company, vehicle owner, police, family of deceased, and every other party with their hands out work things out on their own. Surely the next farang with deep pockets will fall into their lap a matter of days and you’ll soon be forgotten. You’ve already paid more in your time and aggravation than you ever should have had to pay.

So you know he wasn't at fault then do you?  How exactly?

If he has killed a man by riding without a license, without insurance, or driving recklessly then yes, it is a kangaroo court that would not send him to prison.

I would love to know what inside info you have.

Edited by josephbloggs
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

many years ago it happened to a friend and his wife.the old man was drunk driving up the road the wrong way.hit his pickup head on dead.police said not your fault at all.anyway it took a lot of begging from the family all the relatives knocking on the door.the thai wife had enough of this and said pay them the money and they go away it did. not his fault or legal thing to give them anything.

looked what happened down south with the speed boats  killed the foreigners.will they be the same to the thais and will they pay.lots of stories like that  a woman found guilty in court had to pay the farang had property money everything.by the time the court decided she must pay all gone to relatives to protect what she had.he got nothing and could do nothing about it.the thai woman got away it and she knew it.

they are quick to ask the farang if something happens money  please,their fault we have nothing no money take me to court.he should have known this if he did live there and now he begs because of what happened.thailand is getting to become the go fund begging bowl I had a accident need money please donate

Contact the British Embassy, for what little good they are...

Innocent man, not quilty but a victim of extortion by means of unlawful restraint, basically a kidnapped person.

Nothing new in Thailand, so called land of smiles, as long as money is involved.

I'm so glad I saw the,light and no longer live there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

You're confusing fines with compensation.

You compensate only when found guilty. 

Here it says what is to be compensated. Funeral costs mainly if s.o. was 77 already. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://oia.coj.go.th/th/file/get/file/20190208c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b133159.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiXss-93tLnAhVg4zgGHX2aCOcQFjAEegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3niaynF0YYKpZg-xgAa_Cw

Edited by otaku00
Link added

A few sad thoughts:

1.  This guy is probably a BETTER teacher than most, since he can probably speak English clearly.  Let that sink in.....There are so many Non-native speakers ;asldjfs;dfjd (inaudible) English that this guy is top of the food chain.

2.  Another reason never to drive in Thailand.  Never.  Met a joker last week, rented motorbike, dropped it, had to pay 12,000.  And he works for 25,000 a month and came here with no money.  

3.  So this guy is 54 or something and doesn't have 200,000 and must ask strangers for money.   That is the definitely of lonely.  I feel bad for him....I wonder what's the plan 10-years from now..

See many comments on being cleared of responsibility, which might be the case or not.

Note that in many Western countries you have to distinct between being guilty of a traffic accident and being lible for the cost of an accident. Often the rule is that since motorised vehicles are dangerous to non-moterised traffic and that moterised vehicles are insured, in case of an accident the mororised vehicle must pay (part of) the damages.

Thailand might have the same rule. 

• Haha 1

The international media and embassy should be informed,  assuming.....assuming the  whole money and detention issue is another racket against a foreigner from the Thai Police ?....legal insurance that pays for lawyers ? does such a thing exist here ?

Edited by observer90210

On 2/14/2020 at 1:05 AM, CNXexpat said:

Where do you read this? From the article: "... driving safely but “could not avoid” the man" means for me, that the old man suddenly stepped out the street without looking (as usual in Thailand). No chance for the driver. 

From his own words. 

A family were with their 77 year old father crossing the road. They ran ahead of him .
.he was behind them some distance ...he turned back to return to the side of the road . The family shouted at him he dallied about walked .back towards them . And then stopped facing me in the middle of the road .I collided with him 

The chap is truthful at the very least.  Don't you feel foolish now? I always check my facts  first.  :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, otaku00 said:

I think you may have misunderstood the document.  Thailand's civil law shares much in common with  the Napoleonic codes as seen in the French speaking parts of the world.  You pay when found responsible to pay compensatory  damages. There is no guilt or innocence with  civil legal matters. The threshold to prove civil responsibility is much lower than with criminal cases.  In civil law, even a partial involvement  can result in a judgement to pay compensation. The emphasis is to try and make right the loss sustained. 

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The chap is truthful at the very least.  Don't you feel foolish now? I always check my facts  first.  ????

How is he truthful?  Have you verified what happened?  Or have you just read his appallingly badly written go fund me page and taken that as he truth?

Why do you assume he is telling the truth?  You always check your facts first (as you say) so please tell us how you verified this story.  You have definitely checked the facts because that's what you always do, so please share.