British man launches Go Fund Me page to help with legal bills after fatal traffic accident in Thailand

webfact

12 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The international media and embassy should be informed,  assuming.....assuming the  whole money and detention issue is another racket against a foreigner from the Thai Police ?....legal insurance that pays for lawyers ? does such a thing exist here ?

I just made a donation, I make absolutely no speculative judgement on what happened. But I would like him to make a detailed report of what happened, once he is back in the UK.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:14 AM, Surelynot said:

Insurance??? 

My company Thannachart cheerfully paid up compensation/medicals to two licenceless tearaways who hit me at 90kph whilst I was waiting to turn right.  I think the agents get commission on how much they pay out.

A friend of mine had an attempted extraction when a very drunk thai male driving a motorcycle and sidecar crashed into his parked pickup and died on the scene.

The guy had crashed earlier on the same soi but was able to get back up despite been very drunk.

Police investigated the parking position very carefully and cleared him of any liability but came back a week later and ask him to come to the station, where they ask for money he had his layer in toe no money was paid.

TIT sometimes it probably better to pay its just another scam police take a cut.

• Thanks 1

That's a rough deal. I had a woman run across the road in front of me, I stopped and she ran into me and fell down. She was 71, and cracked a hip.

Took 2 years to get to court, in the end I had a 4000 baht fine, I'd already forked out 40k to help with medical expenses over the 50k insurance payout... the worst part was the 2 years of overstay - as you're banned from leaving the country and there's no way to do your visa or extension during that time (I did contact Immigration, and also asked the Courts and lawyers what to do...). I was lucky and got away with a 2 day overstay... another story (and a whole lot of luck).

Depends on where you are whether you're liable - nothing to do with it being your fault or not. In a soi, it's always you that's liable.

Edited by ben2talk

On 2/14/2020 at 11:11 AM, Grumpy John said:

It's a screwed up system!   I understand if it's a worker the Thai family rely on for their income but a 77 year old is unlikely to be holding done a 9 to 5 job.  Part time maybe. 

Even then, if the old nutter was responsible why does the other party have to dish out anything?

I have heard of stories like this and it is a shame on any society that anyone would expect compensation when they are in the wrong. But I have a feeling this guy was working illegally and that there is something that is not being talked about here...

12 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

this is one of the very few gofundme campaigns where i feel sympathy

seems he's having to pay up for being white

i wonder how much a Thai would have to pay if the situation was reversed...

i dont know, this concept of expecting 'free' money, avoiding personal responsibility, doesn't sit well with me. i would prefer a scenario where the money is lent, probably interest free, to get the individual out of bother, and they then pay off the loan/s. maybe it's the way i was brought up but that's how i'd deal with such a  situation... though i also have family and friends i can rely on...

On 2/15/2020 at 10:21 PM, geriatrickid said:

I think you may have misunderstood the document.  Thailand's civil law shares much in common with  the Napoleonic codes as seen in the French speaking parts of the world.  You pay when found responsible to pay compensatory  damages. There is no guilt or innocence with  civil legal matters. The threshold to prove civil responsibility is much lower than with criminal cases.  In civil law, even a partial involvement  can result in a judgement to pay compensation. The emphasis is to try and make right the loss sustained

I don't want to discuss words like guilty or responsible/ liable. My point is:

The examples in the document are obvious. No charge for emotional distress of the relatives e.g. No compensation for work loss when s.o. is 77  (to make up they depended on his salary is ridiculous). That leaves the cremation. Fixed fees there much below 20.000 Baht, anything else is donation for the monks etc and would have been due anyway when the old man had died as we all do.

Besides, to answer s.o. else, ben2talk gave an example of an added "fine".

Edited by otaku00

On 2/15/2020 at 2:07 PM, observer90210 said:

...legal insurance that pays for lawyers ? does such a thing exist here ?

You don't travel to Thailand to buy legal insurance there. You buy it in your home country before you get on the plane.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:10 AM, kjm1485 said:

He was only fired by our agency after he was caught punching some thai university kid in the face during an argument. This guy is INSANE and is definitely playing the victim here.

If that's the case  I really hope nobody are stupid enough to donate money to this guy. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 11:22 AM, sameasb4 said:

A friend of mine had an attempted extraction when a very drunk thai male driving a motorcycle and sidecar crashed into his parked pickup and died on the scene.

The guy had crashed earlier on the same soi but was able to get back up despite been very drunk.

Police investigated the parking position very carefully and cleared him of any liability but came back a week later and ask him to come to the station, where they ask for money he had his layer in toe no money was paid.

TIT sometimes it probably better to pay its just another scam police take a cut.

Investigating the parking position carefully? Haha Only in Thailand!
Where the owner of the parked car can be found at fault and possibly pay blood money to the family of a dumba$$ dead drunk driver who smashes into your car. I think is the culture avoiding personal responsibility if there ever was one. I suppose the owner of the parked yet smashed car couldn’t possibly expect recuperation of damages from the dead guy’s insurance or family, right? I ask only facetiouskey and rhetorically as I think most of us already know the answer.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Puritan... apt, but think about changing your handle to ‘Sanctimonious One’....

Someone’s wealth or visa Statius has absolutely nothing to do with their responsibility towards paying a private compensation when absolved of blame in an accident.

I’m not sure what happened in the accident, but, perhaps the old guy just stepped out in to the road... in this instance, why should the driver pay? (Just a hypothetical situation, but also a probability out here).

Haha, you calling someone sanctimonious.... made me laugh.

Just now, mindfulness said:

He will certainly need 1,000 bt bail money, and a reasonable lawyer he will need for the trial date will be around 50,000 to 70,000 Baht plus he will need a translator 

The <deleted> capt bib was assisting a drunk rider who hit me doing he attempted a reckless overtaking manoeuvre. The drunk bike rider ended up with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung.

First he attempted no doubt having his strings pulled by the ‘rouge wild hog’ 130, then it went down to 100,000bt a few weeks later, then it went down to 80,000 a few weeks later. 

I ended up with the court fine of 3,000bt his pillon passenger wife ended up with me giving her 9,000 bt she originally asked the court for 30,000bt 

I told the judge via an interpreter that she knew he was drunk so she had to take a third of the responsibility, and asked the court to inform her the other third she should get from her husband who caused the accident being drunk, so I said for my third I will provided her with 9,000 bt

I had to pursue the drunk privately 50,000bt as the police did not charge him. He ended up with a 6 month prison sentence and 25,000bt fine. plus him being a Burmese migrant worker deported after his prison sentence. 

The wild hog is still doing his dirty work no doubt ! 

From what I understand he will owe 1 million for that life.

1st class (and I believe even 2nd class) insurance has an allowance for that.

If he really couldn't avoid the accident I wonder if it was even his fault. A lawyer, instead of admission of fault, may have sorted it all out.

Shame really, gotta feel sorry for the guy nonetheless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

We should all donate to help this guy out...I’ll throw some baht if you all are willing....

Read Post #60 before you reach into your pocket, or start feeling sorry for the guy for being "extorted" as some others have commiserated...

MY FRIEND WORKED WITH THIS MAN. This story is not what happened at ALL. We all work for the same agency, and this has become a bit of scandal amongst us all. If you really read his version of the story, there are a lot of things that don't add up. If he had a chance to see everything that the family was doing, how far the elderly man was, why didn't he STOP? 

The version that was witnessed by the community, and several other teachers: This man is loose cannon that repeatedly threatened other teachers with violence for the most random reasons. He was definitely speeding when he hit the man, and had kept HONKING prior to hitting him. (If you have time to honk, you definitely have time to hit your brakes.) He hit the man so hard, the man rolled over three times. 

There were supposed to be two investigations: the police's investigation, and the family's private investigation. The police one had already finished, and they told him so, but they said to STAY in the country for the other investigation. Everall was ordered to pay 1 million baht for the family-- which he never took responsibility for.

On top of all that, he also skipped out on his rent, his utility bills, and damage fees for throwing cigarette butts on top of cars and leaving burn marks. He was only fired by our agency after he was caught punching some thai university kid in the face during an argument. This guy is INSANE and is definitely playing the victim here.

In fairness, the poster on #60 only has one post to his account, so there is some question as to the validity of his claims.  But there seems to be a tendency here to take the GoFunder's story and the article based on his story as gospel truth.  

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 2

On 2/14/2020 at 12:58 PM, crazykopite said:

Teaching English as a volunteer that’s a new one on me . I would assume his bike was insured so why is the insurance company paying up , at least he is not in prison looks like the de eased family will be looking for a far bigger sum of money as Thais think we farangs grow money in the back garden.

Not long after the Military Coup, in November 2006, they changed the rules for teachers so that to remain being a teacher the "teacher" either needed a degree, could work as an "administrator" or be a "volunteer teacher", the last requiring one to sign a form stating that you were working for no salary, but received free lunch and free accommodation provided by the school. (I will not comment about the salary).

• 2 months later...

I created an account to specifically give my own account of this matter. I worked and lived in the same apartment as Clive Everall for just short of two weeks. This man is nothing more than a violent, drunken, irresponsible, and privileged man with no regard for anyone but himself. 

On his second day of work teaching in Uttaradit, Clive called in "sick" because he had been up drinking all night. Our landlord had a new story to tell us each day about other tenants complaining of Clive's behavior. He was loud and obnoxious and held no respect for any of the people he lived with. He harassed the other English teachers who lived there to the point that they called the police. He threw his cigarette butts out his window and damaged the cars beneath. After starting an argument with a Thai university student over his ability to speak English, Clive struck the student in the face.

These are just a few of the incidents that made the other English teachers afraid to be around him. Many of us pleaded with our agency to fire him and to help us in this situation. They only fired him after the motorbike accident, when they learned that the man that Clive struck while riding his motorbike had died, and when they heard about him punching the university student. It wasn't clear why they fired him, but he was still allowed to live in the apartment.

Our landlord said he watched the video of him assaulting the student, which happened one or two nights after the accident, and was prepared to kick him out of the apartment after receiving more complaints about cigarette butts, being loud, etc.. Little did he know, that Clive had fled town without paying his rent. 

The police were at the apartment the day of the accident to give him a breathalyzer. I heard Clive on the phone with someone who worked for our agency. He said something along the lines of, "I've just had a beer since I got home and they want to test me?" I have no doubt, due to the fact that I had never seen him not drinking since he had arrived in Uttaradit, that he was drunk and murdered an innocent man while he was driving. 

Clive knew he was guilty. Why would he prepare to leave the country so soon knowing he had to pay the family? This was general knowledge to all the other English teachers as told by the agency, that Clive would have to pay damages to the family of the man who died. But according to Clive, he was "cleared" by police. Why would he "sneak out" without notifying our landlord? Because he knew the police were in contact with our landlord about Clive's location. He was not permitted to leave Uttaradit, let alone Thailand.

I could go on for much longer about how insane this man and all the unpleasant experiences I dealt with in just the short amount of time that I was around him, but I'd rather try to forget that unfortunate part of my experience in Thailand.

MY FRIEND WORKED WITH THIS MAN. This story is not what happened at ALL. We all work for the same agency, and this has become a bit of scandal amongst us all. If you really read his version of the story, there are a lot of things that don't add up. If he had a chance to see everything that the family was doing, how far the elderly man was, why didn't he STOP? 

The version that was witnessed by the community, and several other teachers: This man is loose cannon that repeatedly threatened other teachers with violence for the most random reasons. He was definitely speeding when he hit the man, and had kept HONKING prior to hitting him. (If you have time to honk, you definitely have time to hit your brakes.) He hit the man so hard, the man rolled over three times. 

There were supposed to be two investigations: the police's investigation, and the family's private investigation. The police one had already finished, and they told him so, but they said to STAY in the country for the other investigation. Everall was ordered to pay 1 million baht for the family-- which he never took responsibility for.

On top of all that, he also skipped out on his rent, his utility bills, and damage fees for throwing cigarette butts on top of cars and leaving burn marks. He was only fired by our agency after he was caught punching some thai university kid in the face during an argument. This guy is INSANE and is definitely playing the victim here.

Edited by bluepig
  • Thanks 1