BANGKOK
webfact

China reports big rise in coronavirus deaths, WHO sees no 'tip of iceberg'

What is interesting is we are still hearing very little about the recovery rate even after 45 days.  10% seems to be the figure at the moment but this could be because even those that have recovered are still being quarantined while they watch them to see there is no recurrence.

It’s sad that China has not accepted technical assistance from USA . I am sure they could offer some good assistance particularly when China is in over its head trying to address this massive problem.

• Confused 1

Anyone planning on flying through a major worldwide hub airport soon?

"Wash your hands"

Researchers also determined the airports that theoretically could have the most impact in spreading a virus, because they provide direct connections to "mega-hub airports," offer in- and out-bound international flights and are located at "geographically conjunctive points."

With those metrics, the airports that they deemed would have the "greatest impact" are London's Heathrow, Los Angeles International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Sydney Airport and Paris-Charles De Gaulle Airport

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:52 AM, webfact said:

Mike Ryan, head of WHO's health emergencies programme, said that more than 14,000 new cases reported in Hubei province overnight came after a change to include results from quicker computerised tomography (CT) scans that reveal lung infections, rather than relying just on laboratory tests to confirm cases.

Thailand should take note... China thought it was all under control.

Anutin and T.A.T want to get their joint priorities adjusted and stop playing games with something that could become very serious!

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What puzzles me is if this is such a fatal disease, why so few deaths outside China? Far as I know, none on that cruise ship with loads of infections.

Very strange IMO.

The rest of the world is behind China, Asia a couple of weeks, the rest of the world 3/4 weeks in infections

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What puzzles me is if this is such a fatal disease, why so few deaths outside China? Far as I know, none on that cruise ship with loads of infections.

Very strange IMO.

Peoples were saying the same thing about the cities outside Wuhan a week ago. There was almost no death. Now they are catching up. It can take a while to die from pneumonia. 

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

On 2/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Very strange IMO.

Perhaps it is because approx 25% of cases require ICU attention, which is no problem if you only have a relative few cases.

But when you have thousands of people requiring intensive care the ICU units cannot handle it and people don’t get the proper care, and die. A situation not helped when many of the medical staff are also infected in China.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Very strange IMO.

it is not strange in the last.

China has a much, much  larger number of cases.

Since only a small minority of infected people die, there will naturally be more deaths in places where there are more cases.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Rhys said:

Why is the DOD in-charge of the quarantine sites in the USA?  Should it not be DHS or a DPHS?  HMMM 

The US DOD is not "in charge of quarantine sites in the USA".  Patients under federal quarantine orders are in various hospitals around the country and also in some cases quarantined at home.  And the majority of patients under observation for this virus are nto under a federal quarantine order.

The response and decisions about when people are quarantined and when released from quarantine is made by the US CDC.

What may have confused you is that the US Government evacuated some US citizens from China on a State Dept chartered flight which landed at JBSA-Lackland  AFB.  People on this specific flight were placed under a federal quarantine order and since the AFB  was the point of disembarkation , they remained on the base for the 14 day quarantine period  if asymptomatic and were sent to nearby hospitals is symptomatic.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/risk-assessment.html

On 2/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, Scot123 said:

What utter nonsense and dribble. Having lived in Thailand for many years and returning to the UK last year let me tell you a few facts: my stress level is almost zero compared to nearly always in the red in Thailand and Hart rate has dropped significantly. Food we buy looks and tastes far nicer and is not covered in poison. Our house is not covered in a thin layor of dust everytime we open a window and when driving we never see clouds of black smoke coming from every second vehicle on the road. To write such nonsense as you have shows you have never been to Europe or North America/Canada. Sorry to disappoint your anti western rhetoric. Oh I actually started eating fish again after 9 years due to everytime I tried fish in Thailand it always had a carbord taste to it. 

Strange then that you actually lived in Thailand, if it's so very bad for you.

I lived in London for over 10 years and Thailand was paradise in comparison.

However, I will agree that the fish in Thailand that was available to me as "fish and chips" was awful. The fish I ate in London wasn't much better though.

when driving we never see clouds of black smoke coming from every second vehicle on the road.

You blew any chance of being taken seriously with that. It's just not true, but perhaps you lived in Bangkok, which would explain why you dislike Thailand so much.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:50 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

Anyone planning on flying through a major worldwide hub airport soon?

"Wash your hands"

Researchers also determined the airports that theoretically could have the most impact in spreading a virus, because they provide direct connections to "mega-hub airports," offer in- and out-bound international flights and are located at "geographically conjunctive points."

With those metrics, the airports that they deemed would have the "greatest impact" are London's Heathrow, Los Angeles International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Sydney Airport and Paris-Charles De Gaulle Airport

Seems to me if it really is as bad as is claimed all air travel from China should have been banned immediately. However that guy in WHO saying it wasn't really a problem didn't help. Has he apologised yet?

On 2/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, Scot123 said:

What utter nonsense and dribble. Having lived in Thailand for many years and returning to the UK last year let me tell you a few facts: my stress level is almost zero compared to nearly always in the red in Thailand and Hart rate has dropped significantly. Food we buy looks and tastes far nicer and is not covered in poison. Our house is not covered in a thin layor of dust everytime we open a window and when driving we never see clouds of black smoke coming from every second vehicle on the road. To write such nonsense as you have shows you have never been to Europe or North America/Canada. Sorry to disappoint your anti western rhetoric. Oh I actually started eating fish again after 9 years due to everytime I tried fish in Thailand it always had a carbord taste to it. 

Why on earth did you even think of leaving the UK in the first place?

It is very obvious where the "utter nonsense and dribble." you mention exists!

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems to me if it really is as bad as is claimed all air travel from China should have been banned immediately. However that guy in WHO saying it wasn't really a problem didn't help. Has he apologised yet?

That type of organisation never apologises...😂

4 hours ago, ravip said:

Why on earth did you even think of leaving the UK in the first place?

It is very obvious where the "utter nonsense and dribble." you mention exists!

Because he can