China reports big rise in coronavirus deaths, WHO sees no 'tip of iceberg'

webfact

China reports big rise in coronavirus deaths, WHO sees no 'tip of iceberg'

By Yawen Chen and Elaine Lies

2020-02-13T073839Z_1_LYNXMPEG1C0GW_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH.JPG

A woman wearing a face mask rides an escalator while holding onto the handrail with the use of a tissue, as she makes her way to a supermarket following an outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the country, in Kunming, Yunnan province, China February 13, 2020. REUTERS/Stringer CHINA OUT.

BEIJING/TOKYO (Reuters) - The Chinese province at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak reported a record rise in deaths and thousands more infections using a broader definition on Thursday, while Japan became the third place outside mainland China to suffer a fatality.

The epidemic has given China's ruling Communist Party one of its sternest challenges in years, constrained the world's second largest economy and triggered a purge of provincial bureaucrats.

With China's streets, restaurants and flower markets bare, a miserable Valentine's Day was expected on Friday.

Japan confirmed its first coronavirus death - a woman in her 80s living in Kanagawa prefecture near Tokyo - adding to two previous fatalities in Hong Kong and the Philippines.

Japan is one of the worst affected of more than two dozen other countries and territories that have seen hundreds of infections from the flu-like sickness.

The Japanese woman fell ill in January but only later showed symptoms of pneumonia and was hospitalised, with coronavirus confirmed after her death and the contagion route under investigation, the health minister said.

2020-02-13T122900Z_1_LOP000LSH26G0_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_CHINA-HEALTH-HAIR-CUTTING-ROUGH-CUT.JPG

Hundreds of doctors and nurses in Wuhan are cutting their hair short or even shaving their heads, to avoid cross-infection when treating coronavirus patients.

However, the big jump in China's reported cases reflects a decision by authorities there to reclassify a backlog of suspected cases by using patients' chest images, and is not necessarily the "tip of an iceberg" of a wider epidemic, a top World Health Organization official said on Thursday.

Mike Ryan, head of WHO's health emergencies programme, said that more than 14,000 new cases reported in Hubei province overnight came after a change to include results from quicker computerised tomography (CT) scans that reveal lung infections, rather than relying just on laboratory tests to confirm cases.

"We've seen this spike in the number of cases reported in China, but this does not represent a significant change in the trajectory of the outbreak," Ryan told a briefing in Geneva.

The biggest cluster of infections outside China is on a cruise liner now quarantined off a Japanese port and a further 44 cases were reported on board on Thursday, raising the total to 219. But authorities said some elderly people would finally to be allowed to disembark on Friday.

"Outside the cases on the Diamond Princess cruise ship we are not seeing a dramatic increase in transmission outside China," the WHO's Ryan said.

He added that the main U.N. health agency expected the rest of a special WHO team to arrive in China over the coming weekend to investigative the epicentre of the epidemic.

U.S. President Donald Trump praised China over its response and said Washington was working closely with Beijing. "I think they've handled it professionally, and I think they're extremely capable," Trump said in a podcast broadcast on iHeart Radio.

But Trump's top White House economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, was more critical. "We're a little disappointed in the lack of transparency coming from the Chinese, these numbers are jumping around... there was some surprise," he told reporters.

CHINA DEATH TOLL CLIMBING

In central China's Hubei province, officials said 242 people died on Wednesday, the biggest daily rise since the flu-like virus emerged in the provincial capital Wuhan in December.

Total deaths in China are 1,367.

The rise, following a forecast earlier this week by China's senior medical adviser that the epidemic might end there by April, halted a global stocks rally.

But it appeared largely due to the change in methodology.

Hubei had previously only allowed infections to be confirmed by RNA tests, which can take days. RNA, or ribonucleic acid, carries genetic information allowing identification of viruses.

But it has also begun using CT scans of lungs, the Hubei health commission said, to pinpoint and isolate cases faster.

As a result, another 14,840 new cases were reported in the province on Thursday, up from 2,015 new cases nationwide a day earlier. But excluding cases confirmed using the new methods, the number of new cases rose by only 1,508.

About 60,000 people have been infected in total, the vast majority of them in China.

BACKLASH AGAINST BUREAUCRATS

The outbreak, believed to have emerged from a Wuhan market where wildlife was traded illegally, has triggered a backlash against local political leaders.

Provincial Communist Party boss Jiang Chaoliang was fired as secretary of the Hubei Provincial Committee, and Ma Guoqiang removed as party chief in Wuhan, state media said. They were the two highest-profile officials to be axed since the outbreak.

Chinese scientists are testing two antiviral drugs and preliminary results are weeks away, although WHO chiefs have cautioned a vaccine could take 18 months.

While the Princess Diamond cruise liner remained in quarantine, another luxury liner, the MS Westerdam, was finally allowed to dock in Cambodia after being barred from Guam, Japan, the Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand over fears that one of its 1,455 passengers and 802 crew might have the virus - even though none had tested positive.

The Westerdam's passengers clapped and cheered on their arrival at sunset.

(Graphic: Online site for coronavirus news link: https://www.reuters.com/live-events/coronavirus-6-id2921484)

(Graphic: Comparing new coronavirus to SARS and MERS link: https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-VIRUS-COMPARISON/0100B5BY3CY/index.html)

(Graphic: Reuters graphics on the new coronavirus link: https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-GRAPHICS/0100B5CD3DP/index.html)

(Reporting by Dominique Patton, Zhang Yan, Roxanne Liu, Huizhong Wu, Min Zhang and Se Young Lee in Beijing; Winni Zhou, Brenda Goh, Josh Horwitz and David Stanway in Shanghai; Keith Zhai, John Geddie, Tom Westbrook in Singapore; Rocky Swift and Elaine Lies in Tokyo; James Pearson in Hanoi; Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva; Phuong Nguyen in Hanoi; Kate Kelland in London; Susan Heavey and Jeff Mason in Washington; Writing by Andrew Cawthorne and Mark Heinrich; Editing by Alex Richardson and Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-14

1 hour ago, webfact said:

As a result, another 14,840 new cases were reported in the province on Thursday, up from 2,015 new cases nationwide a day earlier. But excluding cases confirmed using the new methods, the number of new cases rose by only 1,508.

So, you see, everything is just fine. All under control. Virus on a downward trajectory. Yes, indeed. Just ignore those reports of thousands of people turned away from hospitals. The other tens of thousands afraid to leave home. The other thousands literally sealed in their homes by authorities and detained if they go outside. Because this is all good news. 

They (the Chinese government, Wall Street analysts who want you to keep buying stocks, and Trump the epidemiologist who assures us "heat in April" will kill the virus) are all lying to you.  And those are just the primary liars. Lots of secondary pissant liars are well at work too in other countries and international agencies.

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What puzzles me is if this is such a fatal disease, why so few deaths outside China? Far as I know, none on that cruise ship with loads of infections.

Very strange IMO.

Isn't it obvious? Chinese hospitals just aren't that good

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, anterian said:

pollution, malnutrition, stress all weaken the immune system.

All western city dwellers live in pollution 100% of the time due to too many cars, eat very bad food with loads of very bad chemicals in it, are stressed 100% of the time- mass use of drugs to take the edge off, drink water with chemicals in it, etc etc etc. Western immune systems are probably very weak, yet have any western people died of it yet?

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What puzzles me is if this is such a fatal disease, why so few deaths outside China? Far as I know, none on that cruise ship with loads of infections.

Very strange IMO.

What is the percentage of infected persons to fatalities? When compared to China vs other countries?

Are the numbers avaiable for comparison?

What is interesting is we are still hearing very little about the recovery rate even after 45 days.  10% seems to be the figure at the moment but this could be because even those that have recovered are still being quarantined while they watch them to see there is no recurrence.

Anyone planning on flying through a major worldwide hub airport soon?

"Wash your hands"

Researchers also determined the airports that theoretically could have the most impact in spreading a virus, because they provide direct connections to "mega-hub airports," offer in- and out-bound international flights and are located at "geographically conjunctive points."

With those metrics, the airports that they deemed would have the "greatest impact" are London's Heathrow, Los Angeles International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Sydney Airport and Paris-Charles De Gaulle Airport

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:52 AM, webfact said:

Mike Ryan, head of WHO's health emergencies programme, said that more than 14,000 new cases reported in Hubei province overnight came after a change to include results from quicker computerised tomography (CT) scans that reveal lung infections, rather than relying just on laboratory tests to confirm cases.

Thailand should take note... China thought it was all under control.

Anutin and T.A.T want to get their joint priorities adjusted and stop playing games with something that could become very serious!

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Very strange IMO.

The rest of the world is behind China, Asia a couple of weeks, the rest of the world 3/4 weeks in infections

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Very strange IMO.

Peoples were saying the same thing about the cities outside Wuhan a week ago. There was almost no death. Now they are catching up. It can take a while to die from pneumonia. 

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

On 2/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Very strange IMO.

Perhaps it is because approx 25% of cases require ICU attention, which is no problem if you only have a relative few cases.

But when you have thousands of people requiring intensive care the ICU units cannot handle it and people don’t get the proper care, and die. A situation not helped when many of the medical staff are also infected in China.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Very strange IMO.

it is not strange in the last.

China has a much, much  larger number of cases.

Since only a small minority of infected people die, there will naturally be more deaths in places where there are more cases.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Rhys said:

Why is the DOD in-charge of the quarantine sites in the USA?  Should it not be DHS or a DPHS?  HMMM 

The US DOD is not "in charge of quarantine sites in the USA".  Patients under federal quarantine orders are in various hospitals around the country and also in some cases quarantined at home.  And the majority of patients under observation for this virus are nto under a federal quarantine order.

The response and decisions about when people are quarantined and when released from quarantine is made by the US CDC.

What may have confused you is that the US Government evacuated some US citizens from China on a State Dept chartered flight which landed at JBSA-Lackland  AFB.  People on this specific flight were placed under a federal quarantine order and since the AFB  was the point of disembarkation , they remained on the base for the 14 day quarantine period  if asymptomatic and were sent to nearby hospitals is symptomatic.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/risk-assessment.html

On 2/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, Scot123 said:

What utter nonsense and dribble. Having lived in Thailand for many years and returning to the UK last year let me tell you a few facts: my stress level is almost zero compared to nearly always in the red in Thailand and Hart rate has dropped significantly. Food we buy looks and tastes far nicer and is not covered in poison. Our house is not covered in a thin layor of dust everytime we open a window and when driving we never see clouds of black smoke coming from every second vehicle on the road. To write such nonsense as you have shows you have never been to Europe or North America/Canada. Sorry to disappoint your anti western rhetoric. Oh I actually started eating fish again after 9 years due to everytime I tried fish in Thailand it always had a carbord taste to it. 

Strange then that you actually lived in Thailand, if it's so very bad for you.

I lived in London for over 10 years and Thailand was paradise in comparison.

However, I will agree that the fish in Thailand that was available to me as "fish and chips" was awful. The fish I ate in London wasn't much better though.

when driving we never see clouds of black smoke coming from every second vehicle on the road.

You blew any chance of being taken seriously with that. It's just not true, but perhaps you lived in Bangkok, which would explain why you dislike Thailand so much.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:50 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

Anyone planning on flying through a major worldwide hub airport soon?

"Wash your hands"

Researchers also determined the airports that theoretically could have the most impact in spreading a virus, because they provide direct connections to "mega-hub airports," offer in- and out-bound international flights and are located at "geographically conjunctive points."

With those metrics, the airports that they deemed would have the "greatest impact" are London's Heathrow, Los Angeles International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Sydney Airport and Paris-Charles De Gaulle Airport

Seems to me if it really is as bad as is claimed all air travel from China should have been banned immediately. However that guy in WHO saying it wasn't really a problem didn't help. Has he apologised yet?

On 2/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, Scot123 said:

What utter nonsense and dribble. Having lived in Thailand for many years and returning to the UK last year let me tell you a few facts: my stress level is almost zero compared to nearly always in the red in Thailand and Hart rate has dropped significantly. Food we buy looks and tastes far nicer and is not covered in poison. Our house is not covered in a thin layor of dust everytime we open a window and when driving we never see clouds of black smoke coming from every second vehicle on the road. To write such nonsense as you have shows you have never been to Europe or North America/Canada. Sorry to disappoint your anti western rhetoric. Oh I actually started eating fish again after 9 years due to everytime I tried fish in Thailand it always had a carbord taste to it. 

Why on earth did you even think of leaving the UK in the first place?

It is very obvious where the "utter nonsense and dribble." you mention exists!

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems to me if it really is as bad as is claimed all air travel from China should have been banned immediately. However that guy in WHO saying it wasn't really a problem didn't help. Has he apologised yet?

That type of organisation never apologises...????