Utter carnage: Two dead and three injured in Buriram collision and pile-up

webfact

Utter carnage: Two dead and three injured in Buriram collision and pile-up

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A scene of utter devastation greeted Thamenchai police and rescue services after a car being driven by a Bangkok man collided head on with a municipal authority pick-up on the Buriram to Lampraimat road in Buriram, north east Thailand yesterday evening.

Dead in a Honda was 38 year old Minburi man Nopparat. Also deceased in an overturned Isuzu was Thamenchai municipal authority worked Worawuth. His colleague Nitaya was injured.

The accident happened near KM marker 97 by a chicken farm.

Two other vehicles were damaged and their drivers injured after they piled into the debris.

Locals said they saw the Bangkok car try to overtake and collide head on with the Isuzu coming in the opposite direction heading towards Buriram. The other two pick-ups were following the municipal vehicle and could not avoid the debris.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-14
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Better to be late in this world than early in the next !

Thai drivers always seem to have this inability to judge speed and distance of oncoming traffic, resulting in another tragic loss on the highway.

Driving school should also be compulsory and the courses offered there be correlated with the different Highway Codes of European countries which are in fact very similar.
Let them learn for example why a turn that can easily be taken at 80 an hour is limited to 60 ..
it is not to annoy motorists but quite simply because the visibility is low and does not allow to stop safely if the speed is higher than so many km / h;
if you have 40 meters of visibility, an obstacle can very well obstruct the road at 41 * meter; how fast will you avoid getting into the obstacle?

No Thai knows it; so it rolls at 80 in the bend and boom ...

because with 40 meters of visibility the maximum speed must be a little more than 60 km / h;
easy to do the math;
the stopping distance is equal to the square of the first or two digit (s);
at 30 km / h stopping distance = 9 m (3 x 3)
at 60 km / h, it will be 36 meters (6 x 6)
at 120 km / h it will be 144 meters (12 x 12)

and all that good on dry road with good tires, of course not in overload ...
because on wet roads we will double the braking distances;

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

driving school doesn't stop stupid

Of course not ;
but behind the compulsory driving school there must be a real, a real driving test and not what exists at the moment in Thailand. A kid of 8 years, one-legged and having only one eye will succeed the exam ...
Examination with sworn examiners; but do they know, in thailand, what "sworn" means;
it means that you are going before a judge to swear an oath that you will do your job without departing from even a millimeter of the Law.
I stop dreaming, it will never happen in Thailand.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Of course not ;
but behind the compulsory driving school there must be a real, a real driving test and not what exists at the moment in Thailand. A kid of 8 years, one-legged and having only one eye will succeed the exam ...
Examination with sworn examiners; but do they know, in thailand, what "sworn" means;
it means that you are going before a judge to swear an oath that you will do your job without departing from even a millimeter of the Law.

UK as an example

Driving lessons and the test give people a very limited basic level of competency -  control and understanding the rules of the road (Traffic laws) - it does not make good drivers or stop people breaking the law

Here is an example - you answer it

What stops people getting into a car and driving it drunk ?

I will tell you what it isn't, driving lessons and a test

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Driving school should also be compulsory and the courses offered there be correlated with the different Highway Codes of European countries which are in fact very similar.
Let them learn for example why a turn that can easily be taken at 80 an hour is limited to 60 ..
it is not to annoy motorists but quite simply because the visibility is low and does not allow to stop safely if the speed is higher than so many km / h;
if you have 40 meters of visibility, an obstacle can very well obstruct the road at 41 * meter; how fast will you avoid getting into the obstacle?

No Thai knows it; so it rolls at 80 in the bend and boom ...

because with 40 meters of visibility the maximum speed must be a little more than 60 km / h;
easy to do the math;
the stopping distance is equal to the square of the first or two digit (s);
at 30 km / h stopping distance = 9 m (3 x 3)
at 60 km / h, it will be 36 meters (6 x 6)
at 120 km / h it will be 144 meters (12 x 12)

and all that good on dry road with good tires, of course not in overload ...
because on wet roads we will double the braking distances;

Talking about stopping distances, the UK Highway Code has a page showing what they are at different speeds.

I translated it in the hope it might help some Thais to understand it and therefore the concept of leaving enough space from the vehicle in front.

The figures on the left in black are Km/Hr (mph immediately below).

The blue sections show the 'thinking distance' (reaction time) in metres, the red is braking distance in metres, with the total distance in blue immediately afterwards.

Below that, the number in brackets in blue describes it as the number of car lengths to stop.

At the bottom in black it says the stopping distance for a motorbike is 25% more than a car.

I also found an image from Russia explaining visibility distances in metres for pedestrians wearing different colour clothes at night.

The first four colours are obvious, number five is white (55m), the last one is wearing reflective (high visibility) clothes (130m).

(I've also attached them in pdf format if it's better for anyone.)

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode-Thai.png

VisibilityDistancesClothes-Thai.png

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.pdf VisibilityDistancesClothes.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mercman24 said:

young girl on a scooter jumped the lights yesterday at 5 seconds, wow, nearly got T boned , at the next lights i tore into her saying what a <deleted> idiot she was, yep, i got a puzzled expression in return. what did i do wrong ?

What has being fat got to do with it, or was she fit?

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

yesterday as the final step to obtain a thai driver license we all watched about 1 hour of gory cctv accidents, cartoon animations of correct and safe driving that repeatedly cited europe trying to educate people about serious safety. same people were seen asleep and/or playing with mobile.

society/culture is such that they simply are not capable of learning . (exceptions noted)

Traffic would be just as bad back home if there wasn't any enforcement.  It's not the education.  I was a hazard my first year after going through one of the best driver's ed programs and passing a very stringent driving test.  But I was so afraid of getting a ticket, having my insurance rates go up and losing my license that I practiced driving to avoid getting pulled over.  Which, not so coincidentally, served me (and society) quite well in avoiding accidents.

They're perfectly capable of learning.  But they're also human and subject to behavior that minimizes negative consequences and maximizes benefits.  Back home, with a cop car every few miles, that means obeying the rules.  In Thailand, that means doing whatever gets you there quicker.   As evidence, I've seen thousands of foreigners going native on the roads in Thailand, thoroughly enjoying the freedom of not being subject to any enforcement.  Back home, they wouldn't dream of doing what they do after a year or so on Thai roads.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Of course not ;

A real driving test is a possibility. Then I’d just have to pay 200 baht to ‘pass’ it. Simples ????????‍♂️

• Like 1