BANGKOK
Nyezhov

Will I ever need an SETV? Real Opinions wanted

So, as those of you who are priviledged to know me are now aware, I am esconced in a fab serviced apartment in Siem Reap, Cambo, awaiting delivery of my one year $300 free multiple entry no reports or immigration visit retirement visa. Cool. 

I made the move for a whole bunch of logistical reasons. That being said, Cambo has its pluses and minuses but I have always been a Thai guy, so the goal of my winter Asian sojurns will be to keep roaming around Thailand, but when the air is clear enough for me to take photos. Plus who wants to be in Siem during high season, Ill rent my place out for $125 a night and subsidize my rent. As as aside, like in Thailand, the best time for picturating is rainly season and the start of high season.

Anyway, based on my overthought wakenbake plans, Im figuring that I will have at least 5 entries a year, ranging from a weekend  to 60 days, although quite honestly, if I never have to see the inside of Chang Wattana again, its fine so I doubt I will ever extend. I will usually come in and out via DMK.

So, with that background: US Citizen of appropriate age, whose current passport over since 2018 has a prior SETV and extensions, a prior Retirement extension, one Exempt entry, and obviously exits, and who will enter Internationally from Cambo where he has a Cambo Retirement visa. Usually, for purpose of visit, I put, Shopping, Medical, Tourism, Thermae depending on what I am doing. In a reasonable evaluation, do you see the need for me having to waste time back in the states getting an SETV over the next few years, all things being equal of course.

• Sad 1

Why don't you get an METV if you're back in your own country and combine that with visa-exempt entries?

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

Why don't you get an METV if you're back in your own country and combine that with visa-exempt entries?

why would I want to pay for an METV?

land crossings are limited to 2 per year, @ 30 days each, i think 5 entries per year into Thailand, regardless of the time spent, will at some time raise an eyebrow at arrival immigration, so be prepared.

• Like 2

Hard to tell what will happen, especially at DMK!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i think 5 entries per year into Thailand, regardless of the time spent, will at some time raise an eyebrow at arrival immigration, so be prepared.

Obviously and always. Is there a rule that says only five entries? 

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

it could be 4 entries that raise the eyebrow, no rules but its at the IO discretion, i know off shore workers that were questioned at a few entries, and have gone onto yearly extensions to save the hassle

As always here if doesnt really matter what the rules say, what matters is who you encounter on the day and what he/she thinks about it.

Personally, and if available to you, I would get the METV as it removes the speculation on "too many" etc of the exempt. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

The no written limit on the number of visa exempt entries you can do by air over any amount of time.

The amount of time spent in the country is more important than the number of entries. Doing back to back visa exempt entries to live here is what they mostly look for.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

As always here if doesnt really matter what the rules say, what matters is who you encounter on the day and what he/she thinks about it.

Personally, and if available to you, I would get the METV as it removes the speculation on "too many" etc of the exempt. 

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The no written limit on the number of visa exempt entries you can do by air over any amount of time.

The amount of time spent in the country is more important than the number of entries. Doing back to back visa exempt entries to live here is what they mostly look for.

Now you two guys have a well deserved netutation as experts  and I see a bit of a conflict in your reponses, or are they supplementary, under this analysis, viz:

1. Anyone, including the Lord Buddha himself, can catch a bad IO, so to a certain extent, no plan is foolproff, or as Von Moltke said, no plan necessarily survives contact with the enemy. Under that analysis, even a fresh clean METV can be questioned then.

2. If they are truly looking, as a policy, for exempt abusers, would it not follow that my possession of a Visa from Cambo shows that I am not abusing the system, subject to the caveat of ignorance and arrogance on the part of the IO.

So far this year, I have one exempt on a 7 day stay. Ill next be back in March, probably for 7-10 days. Then unless I transit out of Bangkok for one last fling before I hit the road, I wont be back in till September.

Charlie, you know I alwys appreciate your opinion, could you tell me why personally you would get an METV? I rarely stand on principle, but if I am entitled to come in without a Visa, then why should I pay for it.

Oh and heres a question: What if you are being medevaced to BKK with a passport full of VEs (under my scenario)?

Oh and keep in mind, Im not talking about some IO being rude to me or asking questions, who cares, Im talking about the odds of me being excluded.

If you are flying in for a week there won't be any problems, as many times as you like.

If you are staying 30 days each time then buying a 30 day extension, there will be problems.

Mind you, I'm not convinced us old guys ever have any problems.

Still waiting for your Siem Reap photos to appear in a thread.

How about starting one in Cambodia or photography sections?

Let's see your swimming pool!

Edited by BritManToo

Hassle factor and nothing else. You are applying logical thinking, which as you well know doesnt always follow here. 

You can have all the rules and regs up the wazoo and that wont neccesarily matter one bit if you encounter the wrong one on the day! 

What is technically correct and what works on the day are rarely the same.

Ubon Joe is the "expert" here take his guidance over my opinion every time .

My view is with a METV there is nothing to talk about. Exempt entry there is a possibility of examination, more questions etc and hassle factor (possibly). So, ease of entry in my opinion with METV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

If you are flying in for a week there won't be any problems, as many times as you like.

If you are staying 30 days each time then buying a 30 day extension, there will be problems.

Mind you, I'm not convinced us old guys ever have any problems.

Still waiting for your Siem Reap photos to appear in a thread.

How about starting one in Cambodia or photography sections?

Let's see your swimming pool!

Ja, as soon as I get more fully set up here Ill start getting some photos. I have the camera wrapped in a Krama ready to go. Its not like BKK where you have a god in every golden oyster, its a bit more sleepy here, and lots of ruins to attack. I might buy a 4x4, they drive on the correct side of the road here. I just move slow, its the Happy Pizza.

I think that at most I would do 30 days in like late September/October then again in November December. Basically like 1/3 of the time I did before. or if its raining bad here, and not there, bingo, just fly, $60, leave my house at 13:00, be flagging a cab at DMK 4 hours later. I could actually make a killing on this place in high season cover the rent here and in Bangkok, plus. 500 meters from Pub Street, yet quiet. Pool and bedroom balcony view attached.

And honesty dude, I cant say I much argue with the fact that us old guys really dont have any problems no matter what. 

wx_camera_1579689940714.jpg

IMG_20200214_101715.jpg

• Like 2

OP, this is totally left field. Just have a laugh if nothing else. If you qualify for non o based on retirement you could do annual extensions. 

I obtain 4 X 3month multi to Vietnam every year.

Yes I realize you moving to Cambodia.

Anyway that costs me ~$280usd for the Vietnam visas (online) and of course the non O extensions + multi reentry for Thailand. Obviously I can come and go as often as wanted. I live bkk. I could just as easily live Vietnam and enter Los as often and as long as suits.

If you are over 50 just use an agent to secure a retirement annual extension + a multiple re-entry permit.

This is what all of my friends who are living either in Cambodia or Laos are doing nowadays to be able to visit Thailand as much as they want.