POOL HORROR Brit, 27, dies swimming in Cambodia pool when holding his breath caused him to faint and drown

geovalin

A BRITISH charity worker been found dead in a swimming pool in Cambodia after he held his breath underwater and drowned. Luke Walley, 27, who worked for the World Wildlife Fund, was discovered at a gym close to his home in Phnom Penh last week.

It is believed the former grammar school student from Ilkley, West Yorks., passed away after blacking out underwater.

Luke's parents, who are both university professors, said their family and friends were "totally devastated" by the news.

read more https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10956218/brit-drowns-swimming-pool-cambodia/

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's impossible to hold your breath and drown.

I'm guessing you missed the bit about passing out. Hypoxia is a real issue with people training to hold their breath underwater. People training for free diving usually use a weight belt as well. They should never train without a spotter.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
45 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So the hundreds of pearl divers worldwide that simply gambled against hypoxia and lost were actually murdered?

They were probably a bit deeper than a swimming pool.

So the hundreds of pearl diver murderers could more easily swim away, totally undetected?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Shallow water blackout is very dangerous and it occurs suddenly and without warning. It can happen in your bathtub. You don't know it is about to happen and you just suddenly faint/go unconscious. It can occur any time one is holding their breath too long. The depth is irrelevant. If it happens without a spotter, the result is death, either by inhaling water and drowning, or by not inhaling water and asphyxiation. Sad story and preventable. RIP.

Edited by NotYourBusiness

4 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

If it happens without a spotter,

Was he practicing his holding breath underwater exercise without a spotter? Chines/Indian monks practice it in the open air for years before they can demonstrate their ability to do underwater. Wisdom of the ancient cultures vs stupidity of the modern men.

Edited by murikamba

he probably did some hyperventilating before he dive under, trying to hold his breath longer. this lowers co2 in your blood, the build up of co2 is your warning sign to breathe . so while he ran out of o2, hisco2 didn't build up to tell him to come up. Well, that's one way brown outs happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

How does depth make a difference?

In fact, the greatest pressure difference occurs in the shallows.

If depth makes no difference then logic dictates I should be able to hold my breath at 0m until I pass out.

tried ........... didn't pass out.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:
5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So the hundreds of pearl divers worldwide that simply gambled against hypoxia and lost were actually murdered?

They were probably a bit deeper than a swimming pool.

The depth doesn't matter when being under the surface is concerned.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If depth makes no difference then logic dictates I should be able to hold my breath at 0m until I pass out.

Regardless of your experiment's result, the result of the victim's action in this case was (fatally) different and disproves your illogical contention.

5 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I'm guessing you missed the bit about passing out. Hypoxia is a real issue with people training to hold their breath underwater. People training for free diving usually use a weight belt as well. They should never train without a spotter.

There must have been other health issues present here, what 27 year old passes out from holding his breath in a swimming pool? drugs perhaps, weak heart?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:
6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

STOP

you're killing me

I have a mate who occasionally faints in places like the shower. He has to go for some test where they put him on a rotating table. 

He has circulation problems. 

Maybe the 27 year old had circulation problems he didn't know about.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you hyperventilate to the point that the oxygen runs out before the co2 buildup tells you to breath you will blackout even on dry land. The difference being that if you start to breath again you are in air not water.

• Like 1