Shoot video in Thailand

Hello,

I am a director from France, and I plan to do a trip to visit a friend of mine who became a boxer manager in Bangkok, and owns an equipment shop there. It's not the first time I visit the country, I will be spending ten days in Thailand as a tourist in march, but this time he would like me to film some of his boxers workout/fights/daily routine to boost his communication.

So here is the situation, there is no company hiring me, no financial arrangement between us, and the movie will be sold to any channel, he already told me that some of his crew members already filmed fights from the ringside, and he never had any problems, but after doing some researches, I read a lot of things, specifically about  the need of a film permit in order to shoot in public spaces. I would need to pay about 1000 USD, + tell the commission every locations and characters involved for every single " shooting days ". That cost wouldn't even include the fee of a film commission PA who would be there following me all day long, to make sure that the footage isn't offensive to the Thai laws. Food, and accommodation should also be provided for that guy.

My may concern is even though I would be happy to collaborate in order to make sure I won't end up in jail, I won't be able to provide them the informations they need to match their need. It's gonna be a Run & Gun spontaneous shoot kind, and neither me of my friend will know when and where we are going to shoot. I would also be frustrated having to respect the same logistic conditions as any production company coming there to shoot an add with a 20 persons crew.

One last thing, even though I will be alone shooting, I will be handling a pretty heavy camera, not the kind of low key DSLR setup. I'm lucky enough to own this nice piece of equipment, and the quality it provides is pretty essential for the project purpose.

Do you think there is a risk launching this project ? What should I do / not do to avoid a big drama ?

Thanks by advance !

Have a nice day

You have a choice.. Break the law, which is not that uncommon, or pay the price (in potential fees for legality or other worse outcomes). 

The key would be making it appear that your doing this for fun as a tourist.. Until after you have left the country. The obvious production camera is a give away. 

The OP requires some clarification

You state that you are a director in France.  I assume this to mean that you are a bona fide film director as opposed to a company director.

You claim to be coming as a Tourist for 10 days. What visa if anything Will you enter the kingdom.

You are evidently aware of some of the conditions required ( I do not know if correct ) but are unable to fulfil because you're itinerary is not fixed. Considering your purpose is to film some of your mates boxers training and daily routine and the short duration of the trip . Only 10 days .This seems to be unbelievable.

I obviously meant " won't be sold to any channel ". (..)

Once again, this is not work to me, I work ever day in France, there is a contract, and a salary, this is not the case there, I'm not sure you got the point..

Thanks anyway

Edited by KubrickJR
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KubrickJR said:

Once again, this is not work to me, I work ever day in France, there is a contract, and a salary, this is not the case there, I'm not sure you got the point..

Thanks anyway

It is work for the Thai law, it doesn't matter if there is a contract or you do it for free. You need the right visa and a work permit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KubrickJR said:

Thanks anyway

To answer your original question you should comply with the required laws to allow the project to go ahead.

You say you are happy to do so but for the itinery. Simply arrange an itinery with your mate and the boxers . 

Not sure how you would explain what you describe as a 'large ( heavy ) piece of camera equipment' you will be bringing into Thailand. 

There is a very low value quoted by customs on personal items allowed in. I'm unsure but it might be around 10,000 baht.

If you ship/bring it in I would be prepared for a very long 'negotiation period' and 'not' small fee to get it out of customs.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, KubrickJR said:

Thanks anyway

What a load of crappp. IT IS WORK!! You should watch some of those Border Security shows they have on Western countries' tv. Someone tried that crappp with an IO when interviewed and they sent him back home on the next available flight. Actually, seem a few of those on those shows, all sent back immediately for not having the correct working visa.

Edited by bbi1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Not sure how you would explain what you describe as a 'large ( heavy ) piece of camera equipment' you will be bringing into Thailand. 

There is a very low value quoted by customs on personal items allowed in. I'm unsure but it might be around 10,000 baht.

If you ship/bring it in I would be prepared for a very long 'negotiation period' and 'not' small fee to get it out of customs.

Never had a problem rolling Camera gear in and out and technically, Im bringing in professional equipment. They have never even looked at it, nor even my declaration.

To the OP, if you want to run and gun, leave the Big Lens at home and use a Lumix G5 or G9. The Leica 10-25 I guess is now the video rage on those two cameras. If you cant get professional results with them, then go back to director school, because even a moron like me can get fab video out of them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daffy D said:

I don't see the problem.

The OP is a tourist taking holiday videos. Millions of tourists come to Thailand each year almost everyone with a camera of some sort taking stills and videos.

Tourists certainly go to Thai boxing exhibitions and take videos as well as local carnivals and temple ceremonies, I don't see a problem

The OP may have better and more expensive equipment than the average tourist but that is because he is an enthusiastic photographer and has the means to buy better equipment than most.

Even if his equipment is considered "Professional" so what he can afford it, and who's to say what is "Professional" and what is not.

As long as no money changes hands it's not work

I think everyone is over thinking this.

All you say ok except the no money changing hands means it's not work. If that was the case I could offer my services to Tesco as a shelf stacker for free and claim 'no pay not work' when I was arrested..

You don't decide what 'work' is the police do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 9:07 AM, KubrickJR said:

One last thing, even though I will be alone shooting, I will be handling a pretty heavy camera, not the kind of low key DSLR setup. I'm lucky enough to own this nice piece of equipment, and the quality it provides is pretty essential for the project purpose.

Why are you bothering with all this? It's far cheaper to rent a crew with a camera, lenses, reflectors, rails, jibs, umbrellas and whatever else you might need. That's why people come to Thailand to make films. It's cheap to work, here. As for your location shooting, unless you appear to be making a film, you won't have problems. But almost every legit site in Thailand has fees and permit requirements, usually going up to 20,000 baht/day. And if you're going to film in a store, street loc, or any type of establishment, you need written permission.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

All you say ok except the no money changing hands means it's not work. If that was the case I could offer my services to Tesco as a shelf stacker for free and claim 'no pay not work' when I was arrested..

You don't decide what 'work' is the police do.

Good point. But shelf stacking at Tesco you are"working" for someone else. Same with the volunteers at the cave rescue and after the Tsunami they came to "work" for someone else.  International Rescue or some charitable organisation.

This guy is a "TOURIST" and is taking home movies for himself.

True here in this land of smiles a shakedown by the police is always a possibility. Like the guy who got done for dropping a cigarette but outside Pantip Plaza when he wasn't even a smoker.

If the OP did get hassled for taking videos at a crowded sporting event I think there would be enough YouTube'rs around for it to be on line in very short time, especially if he made a big fuss claiming tourist harassment.

• Haha 1

surely if you're a professional film director you should either know how to go about legally filming in a country - as a professional i assume you work legally? or as a professional working in the industry you will know how to obtain the relevant information about filming in a particular country.

20 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Good point. But shelf stacking at Tesco you are"working" for someone else. Same with the volunteers at the cave rescue and after the Tsunami they came to "work" for someone else.  International Rescue or some charitable organisation.

This guy is a "TOURIST" and is taking home movies for himself.

True here in this land of smiles a shakedown by the police is always a possibility. Like the guy who got done for dropping a cigarette but outside Pantip Plaza when he wasn't even a smoker.

If the OP did get hassled for taking videos at a crowded sporting event I think there would be enough YouTube'rs around for it to be on line in very short time, especially if he made a big fuss claiming tourist harassment.

And the attention paid to the posts by youtubers and other social media pond life would be somewhere around

0000.nothingblank.

• Thanks 1

What if I shooting video for my youtube channel that is my main income source? Of course using professional equipment and stuff.
It is definitely my work and I'm definitely working. 

This is a hypothetical question, but looks like all foreigner youtubers filming in Thailand breaking the law?

Edited by clearance

6 hours ago, clearance said:

What if I shooting video for my youtube channel that is my main income source? Of course using professional equipment and stuff.
It is definitely my work and I'm definitely working. 

This is a hypothetical question, but looks like all foreigner youtubers filming in Thailand breaking the law?

If it's one guy on his own, even with a very expensive camera shooting scenes of temples, beach parties or whatever no one will pay a blind bit of interest.

If it's someone shooting scenes and having othet people involved carrying whatever else and some orders being given out, move that, move this, stop/cut re-shoot that scene etc then it's very likely someone may ask what's going on.

Would the OP be happy if no one informed him of the possible pitfalls and all just said   no problem, anyone can come to Thailand and make a movie, don't worry about anything and he ended up falling foul of the rules???

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm back, just feel like giving my feedback to those who recommended staying home.

I actually ended up filming without a permit, working with two different thai fixers who confirmed that I wouldn't need such a thing for this kind of shooting.

It's all about contacts actually, not money. My shooting was more affected by the Covid 19 limitations than a film permit, I was right following my instinct I guess.

Bye

Edited by KubrickJR
  • Like 1