I now have coronavirus

liddelljohn

On 2/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, Susco said:

How sad that someone has use such a serious subject to get his 5 minutes of fame on a forum.

If the OP really had the COVID-19 virus he would not be posting here, but be in isolation.

I'm pretty sure that internet devices are allowed in isolation, it's a way of preventing passing on

the virus, not a punishment.

23 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

Apparently the test is 70% accurate. Glad they're helping and being proactive unlike here in the states where I asked for a test and they said it would run me $3,000 USD, insurance doesn't cover it. ????

What particular test method for SARS-COV-2 is this about? Apparently, there are several methods.

17 minutes ago, Maestro said:

What particular test method for SARS-COV-2 is this about? Apparently, there are several methods.

I was referring to the RT-PCR assay, which recent research has found is less accurate than chest CT imaging. (71% vs 98%)

"Chest CT, a routine imaging tool for pneumonia diagnosis, is fast and relatively easy to perform. Recent research found that the sensitivity of CT for COVID-19 infection was 98% compared to RT-PCR sensitivity of 71%."

article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200226151951.htm

A video that walks viewers through it (linked to 6:43 time):

13 minutes ago, unsubscribe said:
37 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I was referring to the RT-PCR assay, which recent research has found is less accurate than chest CT imaging. (71% vs 98%)...

Thank you. So your comment was not about the SARS-COV-2 test.

1 hour ago, unsubscribe said:

My comment, as well as the article and video I linked, were about the SARS-COV-2 test.

The article to which you linked is, in parts, a bit inaccurate and confusing in its use of terminology, but nowhere does it say that a chest CT (computed tomography) scan is used to determine the presence of the virus called SARS-CoV-2 in the organism.

Excerpts from the article:

CT provides best diagnosis for COVID-19

...chest CT outperformed lab testing in the diagnosis of 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

Chest CT, a routine imaging tool for pneumonia diagnosis, is fast and relatively easy to perform.

SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus that in some, but not all, persons infected with this virus leads to the COVID-19 disease, of which a viral pneumonia is an important factor.

A chest CT is a diagnostic tool for pneumonia in general, regardless of its causative pathogen. In other words, a diagnosis of pneumonia is not, by itself, a diagnosis of the COVID-19 disease.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

A chest CT is a diagnostic tool for pneumonia in general, regardless of its causative pathogen. In other words, a diagnosis of pneumonia is not, by itself, a diagnosis of the COVID-19 disease.

Sure but they do appear to be using the CT scans as an early indicator when someone presents with a flu like infection as you can tell way before the symptoms show.

There's a case of a guy from the Diamond Princess (David Abel), he has has had pneumonia - you wouldn't know it from his very recent videos - he was on youtube Saturday.

Japan are using CT scans to track the progress by the looks of it, he said he did have pneumonia based on previous CT scans which has now cleared up but left him with 'lesions' - he's still testing positive for COVID-19 though. Ongoing case.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

The article to which you linked is, in parts, a bit inaccurate and confusing in its use of terminology, but nowhere does it say that a chest CT (computed tomography) scan is used to determine the presence of the virus called SARS-CoV-2 in the organism.

Excerpts from the article:

SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus that in some, but not all, persons infected with this virus leads to the COVID-19 disease, of which a viral pneumonia is an important factor.

Right.... if you find any part of the article to be confusing feel free to reach out to science daily and/or the Radiological Society of North America.

It made sense to me and Dr. Seheult, a practicing pulmonologist.

Edited by unsubscribe

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Sure but they do appear to be using the CT scans as an early indicator when someone presents with a flu like infection as you can tell way before the symptoms show...

There is nothing wrong at all with using chest CT scans and I recognize their usefulness, but it is absolutely wrong to state that such a scan is a test for SARS-COV-2. As I pointed out to another poster, the referenced article did not state that it was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

There is nothing wrong at all with using chest CT scans and I recognize their usefulness, but it is absolutely wrong to state that such a scan is a test for SARS-COV-2. As I pointed out to another poster, the referenced article did not state that it was.

I'm unsure which article you're reading or if you're trolling me, the article I linked is titled "CT provides best diagnosis for COVID-19" (https://www.wired.com/story/chinese-hospitals-deploy-ai-help-diagnose-covid-19/). The Chinese are even using AI to analyze these images (https://www.wired.com/story/chinese-hospitals-deploy-ai-help-diagnose-covid-19/).

Whatever agree to disagree.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:55 PM, liddelljohn said:

I just got back from Sirikit hospital  Sattahip and 3rd test says i do not have Covid 19 and am fit to travel  on wednesday  that the lung infection I have is another type of corona virus  and is  clearing up

whilst i was ther  a mate was brought in  after a very nasty bike accident   outside his village nearby  he is now in ICU 

Good and bad news. Great to hear that you're okay and sorry to hear of your mate's misfortune.

I'm trying to stay calm after feeling sick with flu-like symptoms knowing that some students at my school might be positive after coming back from Japan.

I hope that you're okay, and your mate fully recovers. Best of luck!

Like all the other corona virus threads started in this forum, thsi one has descended into bickering.

It is now closed and no new threads on COVID-19 will be allowed unless specific to a member's own health issue.

For news, see the news forum.

• Like 1