I now have coronavirus

liddelljohn

19 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I just got back from Sirikit hospital  Sattahip and 3rd test says i do not have Covid 19 and am fit to travel  on wednesday  that the lung infection I have is another type of corona virus  and is  clearing up

whilst i was ther  a mate was brought in  after a very nasty bike accident   outside his village nearby  he is now in ICU 

Thank you!

7 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

I just got back from Sirikit hospital  Sattahip and 3rd test says i do not have Covid 19 and am fit to travel  on wednesday  that the lung infection I have is another type of corona virus  and is  clearing up

whilst i was ther  a mate was brought in  after a very nasty bike accident   outside his village nearby  he is now in ICU 

Get well soon!

2 hours ago, BlackJack said:

a friend of mine recently had a flu vaccine jab, he also went north to get away from the CORVIR19

now he and most of the village have colds and bronchial issues

just saying

Colds can be caused by many bacteria or viruses, like the coronovirus liddelljohn was diagnosed with (not SARS-Cov-2 that causes COVID-19, but one of the more benign ones). Influenza (the real flu) is just one more of them. The human body has only few reactions to infection, fever, runny nose, etc. Most get cleared by th immune system.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 7:26 AM, saengd said:

I think it is striking that out of 70,000+ cases and 1,700+ fatalities, no westerner has died from the virus. I think it's also telling the degree to which climate and temperature is playing a role in the spread of the virus, most prefer to think the easy answer of a cover up but I truly doubt it is.

No westerner in which country ?

In France a 60 years old teacher who has never been in a risk area died yesterday or the day before yesterday

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

In France a 60 years old teacher who has never been in a risk area died yesterday or the day before yesterday

I wrote that on 18th February, yesterday or the day before was 27th or 26th!!!

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I think the quote was made on the 18 Feb .. What was the situation then ?

On 2/25/2020 at 1:42 PM, DrTuner said:

Colds can be caused by many bacteria or viruses, like the coronovirus liddelljohn was diagnosed with (not SARS-Cov-2 that causes COVID-19, but one of the more benign ones). Influenza (the real flu) is just one more of them. The human body has only few reactions to infection, fever, runny nose, etc. Most get cleared by th immune system.

I keep thinking about body temps and was taught that fever helps in the combat making it harder for the bug (bacteria and viruses) to survive. 

13 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I keep thinking about body temps and was taught that fever helps in the combat making it harder for the bug (bacteria and viruses) to survive. 

Yes, fever is your own immune system fighting back.

Fevers turn on the body's immune system. They help the body fight infection. Normal fevers between 100° and 104° F (37.8° - 40° C) are good for sick children.

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/conditions/a-z/fever-myths-versus-facts/

However, you must be concerned about high fevers, then take medication and see a doctor, don't hesitate.

Edited by rabas

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yes, fever is your own immune system fighting back.

Fevers turn on the body's immune system. They help the body fight infection. Normal fevers between 100° and 104° F (37.8° - 40° C) are good for sick children.

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/conditions/a-z/fever-myths-versus-facts/

However, you must be concerned about high fevers, then take medication and see a doctor.

so only take paracetamol etc when you have a temperature of 40+ degrees?

It's always confused me, we are told to take Paracetamol etc if we have a fever i.e. to reduce the temperature

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I start taking antipyretics like paracetamol at ~38.5 because it seems to be the threshold where a fever starts to have an effect on mental and physical performance. Under that, just keep hydrated and try to rest.

EDIT: the term for letting the fever go higher is 'Permissive Hyperthermia'. It's all about management to keep the temps where a human body can work it's magic. Here's one trial: http://www.wellingtonicu.com/Data/Trials/HEAT.pdf

EDIT2: some interesting stuff here: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1751143715608642

Positive effects of fever Potentially beneficial effects of fever include slower replication of bacteria, enhanced activity of antibiotics, increased mobility of leukocytes with enhanced phagocytosis, decreased endotoxin effects, increased proliferation of T-cells, amplified immune response and transcription of HSPs.15,16 In another paper, it was observed that there might be a link between febrile state in early ARDS and improved survival, although this was a secondary outcome measure.17

17 points to here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25554550

Body temperature and mortality in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome.

ARDS is one of the complications of COVID-19.

RESULTS:

Mean baseline temperature was 37.5°C (SD, 1.1°C; range, 27.2°C-40.7°C). At baseline, fever (≥ 38.3°C) was present in 23% and hypothermia (< 36°C) in 5% of the patients. Body temperature was a significant predictor of 90-day mortality after primary cause of ARDS and score on the Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation III were adjusted for. Higher temperature was associated with decreased mortality: for every 1°C increase in baseline temperature, the odds of death decreased by 15% (odds ratio, 0.85; 95% CI, 0.73-0.98, P = .03). When patients were divided into 5 temperature groups, mortality was lower with higher temperature (P for trend = .02).

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone is different,. My normal temp is below 37, I almost never run a fever and when I do, by 37.5 I feel absolutely awful and need to take something.

Fever while helpful in killing off pathogens does put strain the body and older people/people with chronic health problems (especially any cardiaac issues) would be ill advised to try to allow high fever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

I start taking antipyretics like paracetamol at ~38.5 because it seems to be the threshold where a fever starts to have an effect on mental and physical performance. Under that, just keep hydrated and try to rest.

EDIT: the term for letting the fever go higher is 'Permissive Hyperthermia'. It's all about management to keep the temps where a human body can work it's magic. Here's one trial: http://www.wellingtonicu.com/Data/Trials/HEAT.pdf

EDIT2: some interesting stuff here: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1751143715608642

17 points to here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25554550

ARDS is one of the complications of COVID-19.

i think I'll buy a thermometer, 6 months ago i had a bad fever with strep throat,by the time i went to the hospital it was 42, that was after taking paracetamols and felt higher the day before

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i think I'll buy a thermometer, 6 months ago i had a bad fever with strep throat,by the time i went to the hospital it was 42, that was after taking paracetamols and felt higher the day before

42 is very bad, brain damage starts to happen at those temps. I take it they placed you in a cold bath.

One thing everybody can do is to learn to listen to their own body. Keep a diary when ill and try to figure out what worked and what not. Don't go for pharmaceuticals the second you have a tiny sneeze. Be aware, eat healthy, exercise, the usual. If the body can't cope by itself, then seek medical help.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

42 is very bad, brain damage starts to happen at those temps. I take it they placed you in a cold bath.

No cold bath. Nurse lady on reception said you have a high temperature, i said yes that's why I'm here. Doc gave me some antibiotics, it resolved itself soon after. It felt bad but not that bad, I'm sure I've had worse

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's always confused me, we are told to take Paracetamol etc if we have a fever i.e. to reduce the temperature

There is 2 school of thought. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4703655/

I tend to let the fever do it's thing unless it becomes unbereable. 

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I recently bought some old school glass thermometer (with mercury?). They came in pack of two and were both giving a wrong reading. Then I bought an electronic one that take inside ear temperature but you need to change the plastic cap everytime to prevent contamination. Now that I know there is contactless infrared thermometer, I would buy these instead. 

Edited by Tayaout

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

No cold bath. Nurse lady on reception said you have a high temperature, i said yes that's why I'm here. Doc gave me some antibiotics, it resolved itself soon after. It felt bad but not that bad, I'm sure I've had worse

One facet of the coronavirus outbreak is China manufactures more than 90% of the world's antibiotics, so supply could be under threat as well.

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It's very cheap but not contactless so you need to sterilize if you need to check more than one person. 

On the other hand those types are far more comfortable for checking the core temperarature from rectum than the contactless ones.

9 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Spoke with NHS 111  in UK told them I have been in Thailand and they are arranging another COVID 19  test ASAP  , they told me there are a lot of false negatives as the tests are not 100% reliable ???

Apparently the test is 70% accurate. Glad they're helping and being proactive unlike here in the states where I asked for a test and they said it would run me $3,000 USD, insurance doesn't cover it. ????