Gunman opens fire in central Bangkok

webfact

BREAKING: Gunman opens fire in central Bangkok

bkk.jpg

A police operation is underway to apprehend a man who shot at pedestrians in central Bangkok on Friday morning.

Witnesses said the man fired more than 20 shots indiscriminately at passers by and into the air.

Officers from Pathumwan police station cordoned off an area of Chula Soi 10, close to Chulalongkorn University, Thairath reported

The suspect is said to be a 40 year old man. Police said he may have been experiencing family problems.

Members of the public are urged to avoid the area.

UPDATE 11:28am

77 Koaded reported that police now have control of the situation and the suspect is in custody.

No one was injured during the incident, it was reported.

The suspect first started shooting at 4am and it took several hours before police talked him into surrendering. 

Police said the incident was the result of a family conflict or personal stress.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-14

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

stop the thai bashing ...lol

Are you serious? How am I bashing Thailand? Now two gunmen shooting indiscriminately at locals in the past week. This country has never had to deal with this sort of Western influenced behaviour before now. 

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

family problems ... ? another nutcase on drugs perhaps,  just get the ' hanuman ' team over there asap.

Well there are plenty of people who've had those problems in Thailand in the past and not needed to shoot civilians. It's starting to become a theme

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The reports say he was firing indiscriminately at passers by - I'm not sure it makes much difference what his underlying problem is.

Other articles report he was firing shots inside his own home - not sure whether that means he was stood in his home firing at people but so far no injuries?? Not really clear what happened 

13 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Good news. Unfortunately I don't see this being another 'one-off' though and next time it could be much worse. Thailand and even Bangkok is becoming more dangerous by the day. I don't ever remember so many shooting incidents involving innocent civilians up until now.