Gunman opens fire in central Bangkok

webfact

I sincerely hope this is not the beginning of some sort of trend, or social meltdown here in the LOS. There is alot of frustration out there now, with the economic problems alot of the population face, and with the tourism meltdown, largely precipitated by massive mistakes, miscalculations and stupidity of this administration and the army. One hopes it ends up being directed toward them, instead of toward the masses. I am not advocating violence. Simply peaceful protests and various ways the public can let the administration know how unsatisfied they are, with the status quo. Let us hope and pray that the incidents of the past week are an aberration.

The tourism situation, and the millions of hard working Thai people it affects, is only going to get alot worse, before it improves. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

Been saying it for a long time, but with the state of the economy and the breakdown of many elements of society, this is going to be happening more often. More people are just going to snap.

What's going to happen when sea levels rise and millions of people are displaced, infrastructure destroyed and economies collapse?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

" Police said he may have been experiencing family problems. "

Family problems? Really?

I must say the PM is doing an excellent job keeping this country safe?

He has returned Happiness to the people can you not tell.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fordguy61mi said:

Western influenced behavior? You think people are just shooting other people indiscriminately every day in the west? People that kill other people are deranged, mentally ill, it’s not a “behavior”.

right, thailand has always had higher gun murder rate than western countries, and still has, only USA has a tiny bit more, if you trust the thai statistics of crime...

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

In addition to his drug problems? To explain someone shooting people indiscriminately on the street i think there's probably more to it than just family problems...

drug addicts or people family issues often shoot or stabb in their villages, it just doesnt come out to english only thai language news.

4 hours ago, orang37 said:

American television !

~o:37;

I saw a little bit of a Thai soap opera last night where 2 women were screaming and fighting, 5 minutes later the was a guy with a gun trying to shoot somebody. The stupid thing about it was that the pistol was in clear view. If it were a cigarette or a glass of whisky it would have been blurred out.

7 hours ago, mrwinner said:

Are you serious? How am I bashing Thailand? Now two gunmen shooting indiscriminately at locals in the past week. This country has never had to deal with this sort of Western influenced behaviour before now. 

You forgot the gunman who killed a child and others a couple of weeks ago.

I have a Idea that could turn all this negative around.

Bring back Dueling, have arena's set up at all the Tourist spots.

Let those who have a problem with someone, save Face and challenge to a Duel.

Sell tickets and a Mask for the event, and all the local vendors get a piece of the action.

Tourist will be Flocking to see these events, Thailand once again has an Attraction worth seeing.

In between events, can have Boxing and Dancing Girls, it's a Win Win for everyone.

• Haha 2

Unfortunately not good news for Chinese tourism.

The Generals getting rich off the low baht, (and it's no secret) the average Thai struggling more than ever and the country having no one to keep them organised will not be helping.

The powers that be (from the very top!) need to stop living in their "rich bubble" and bring back order and calm.

Having said that I would still consider Thailand to be a safer and nicer place to live than many Capital cities than the West.

Just my own opinions.....

7 hours ago, mrwinner said:

Are you serious? How am I bashing Thailand? Now two gunmen shooting indiscriminately at locals in the past week. This country has never had to deal with this sort of Western influenced behaviour before now. 

Have you ever lived in Issan?

1 hour ago, ta158 said:

Those are family feuds, criminal disputes between associated parties or political unrest between opposing sides. Of course there has been plenty of gun violence of this nature, that has always been the case for as long as I can remember.

I'm talking about innocent random civilians on the street being targeted with at least 3 high profile cases in the last month or two (gold shop, mall and this incident today).

Thailand has not seen this many separate random attacks on civilians in the street in such a short space of time (all in 2020- and it's only February!).

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, mrwinner said:

What is happening to this country!??

Social breakdown... even though he was a foreigner residing in Thailand it's a sign of the times.

Financial difficulties, wealth divide, corruption, you name it Thailand is reaching a tipping point.

Six years of no improvement for the masses is starting to show the cracks again!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, allenberg said:

Nonsense...What 'stupid' countries have no restrictions to buy  a gun?

When he says "no restrictions" he means it's very easy to get a gun.

Those countries are the US and Thailand. Many Americans and Thais own guns.

We here in Europe don't really own guns and we are better off without them.

Edited by lkv

10 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

Its not a new thing at all, folks get shot regular here have and always will be as such, its just grabbing headlines and do note he was making a lot of noise for the adrenalin rush and then did a runner but doesnt state any one was hit ?  says it all.

This is so true. In Trang where I used to live a venue we used to go to on our Friday night out was very popular in fact it was so popular it had 2 drive by shootings, the second one resulting in 2 people being shot "wounded". A woman opened a noodle shop and again was doing quite well then it had a drive by shooting these shootings were out of jealousy, no other reason. There was a fatal shooting at a night club where a hiso opened up on a table believing he was looked at wrongly "jealousy over a woman". Many more shootings in Trang a quite town which I imagine mirrors many towns in Thailand. It is very surprising how many expats are oblivious to what is actually going on around them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrwinner said:

Those are family feuds, criminal disputes between associated parties or political unrest between opposing sides. Of course there has been plenty of gun violence of this nature, that has always been the case for as long as I can remember.

I'm talking about innocent random civilians on the street being targeted with at least 3 high profile cases in the last month or two (gold shop, mall and this incident today).

Thailand has not seen this many separate random attacks on civilians in the street in such a short space of time (all in 2020- and it's only February!).

yes that is true sorry.

often gang of youths/teenagers ride around looking for people to shoot, stabb, brutaliy assault, not too long ago 2 adult men were beaten very badly in chiang mai, just beause they stopped and was being friendly and talked with a group of teenagers who was drinking, it ended with 1 of the men dead the other seriously injured,

and of course this did not end up here or bangkok post, like most violent crimes.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/crime/samurai-gang-back/

For decades, there have been gangs periodically roaming Chiang Mai’s streets, often attacking victims with no provocation with sharp knives. While there is no evidence that these incidents are connected they have been dubbed the Samurai Gang, by the local population.

that is not too uncommon in many provinces.

here is another same incident but in thai only.

https://www.khaosod.co.th/around-thailand/news_1296075

41 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

This is so true. In Trang where I used to live a venue we used to go to on our Friday night out was very popular in fact it was so popular it had 2 drive by shootings, the second one resulting in 2 people being shot "wounded". A woman opened a noodle shop and again was doing quite well then it had a drive by shooting these shootings were out of jealousy, no other reason. There was a fatal shooting at a night club where a hiso opened up on a table believing he was looked at wrongly "jealousy over a woman". Many more shootings in Trang a quite town which I imagine mirrors many towns in Thailand. It is very surprising how many expats are oblivious to what is actually going on around them. 

yes, actually trang is often in news for shootings and stabbings, latest was 20th januari, this also came to mind when i read trang.

assasination with automatic weapon.

and i agree trang mirrors many towns in thailand, especailly south thailand such as songkhla, surat thani, nakon si thammarat etc, and the cities in those provinces is at around 100,000 people or less, or in most of thailand the cities is small population, if a city has around 100,000 people, and lets say 50 murders = 50 murder rate.

if hat yai lets say had 30 murders, that is 20 murders per 100,000 people, that is the reality of many cities in thailand, that is a very high murder rate.

songkla had a shooting yesterday,  2 defence volunteers shot dead 1 injured, the big shot (big gangster) in that area shot them. 

the victims had been drinking and one of them went over to the massage shop next door and asked the female owner if the girls could come and drink with them, and she said no, so he got angry and showed his badge and said he would close down the massage shop permantly, so she phoned the gangster and he came and shot them.

Edited by ta158
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, mrwinner said:

I suggest you read some history , start with the Thammarat university massacre in 1976 !

• Like 1