Gunman opens fire in central Bangkok

webfact

7 hours ago, goferman said:

What's going to happen when sea levels rise and millions of people are displaced, infrastructure destroyed and economies collapse?

I doubt we'll have to wait that long with tourism in the toilet from the coronavirus, and worldwide supply chains on meltdown.  The supply chains feeding Thailand's manufacturing base, and accounting for millions of Thai jobs in imports, exports and domestic consumption.

I suspect we'll be seeing a virtual stress test of the Thai economy in 2020.  And I'm not forecasting a painless result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My bet is that we'd have never even heard about a crazy guy shooting on the air at 4:00 AM had it not been for the Korat incident.  Drunk people do stupid things all the time, often in the wee hours.  Mostly, the neighbors shrug it off and the cops pay a polite visit the next day with a warning.  An apology, 500 baht, and a wai, and it's all good.

But nowadays, everyone's on edge.

Edited by impulse

15 hours ago, atyclb said:
18 hours ago, cmsally said:

Been saying it for a long time, but with the state of the economy and the breakdown of many elements of society, this is going to be happening more often. More people are just going to snap.

sadly agree.

the other day the motorbike taxi driver started conversation and beef was government. ragging government and said "thailand is now a stupic country"

OMG! You're so lucky he didn't have a gun or he could've easily flipped and taken you out. Do you have amulets? Did you go buy a lottery ticket?

I think it's a shocking disgrace that peaceful civilians here are forbidden to wear kevlar. That would go so well with the tinfoil hats.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

I doubt we'll have to wait that long with tourism in the toilet from the coronavirus, and worldwide supply chains on meltdown.  The supply chains feeding Thailand's manufacturing base, and accounting for millions of Thai jobs in imports, exports and domestic consumption.

I suspect we'll be seeing a virtual stress test of the Thai economy in 2020.  And I'm not forecasting a painless result.

So this global trade plague and pestilence will only affect Thailand?

Or did I miss something?

I have a good friend who gets morbidly pessimistic and gloomy especially after a couple of glasses of red. Maybe try the white?

23 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like Thai media is reporting no casualty's mercifully looks like a bad shot cancel that vinyl board???? 

Actually I think he started too early probably before there were enough people out yet to shoot. I think they said he started at like 4AM yesterday and it sounds like he probably chickened out because if he fired 20 shots with one of those riffles he could have hit people if he wanted to it’s not that hard you don’t have to be that skilled with it to shoot people at close range. I think he flipped out probably heard about the shooting up here last week and wanted to make his own statement I guess. Then it looks like he got out there and probably still wanted to show people that he was serious at least so he fired some ammunition but I think he realized it was harder than he thought to take a life that’s what it sounds like happened. I didn’t hear what kind of rifle he had but if he fired 20 shots I’m assuming it was some kind of an automatic rifle or maybe he just had a hunting rifle or something with a lot of bullets who knows.

Next time if you start feeling like causing mayhem and carnage please consider a game of Grand Theft Auto no body really gets hurt it’s fake blood and no prison time. Just a tip. 

Edited by EricS

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:
21 hours ago, atyclb said:
On 2/14/2020 at 10:35 AM, cmsally said:

Been saying it for a long time, but with the state of the economy and the breakdown of many elements of society, this is going to be happening more often. More people are just going to snap.

sadly agree.

the other day the motorbike taxi driver started conversation and beef was government. ragging government and said "thailand is now a stupic country"

OMG! You're so lucky he didn't have a gun or he could've easily flipped and taken you out. Do you have amulets? Did you go buy a lottery ticket?

I think it's a shocking disgrace that peaceful civilians here are forbidden to wear kevlar. That would go so well with the tinfoil hats.

seems a good time for you to increase the lithium dose

On 2/14/2020 at 10:35 AM, cmsally said:

True ''but'' this just does not happen here in Thailand, Europe USA etc but not here 2 incidents        in as many weeks  guy in Hungerford  many weeks, I can not believe it, being  brit I remember  gunman Michael Ryan went on the rampage in the small town of Hungerford. Sixteen people were killed and 15 more were seriously injured in what was the UK's worst mass shooting. Thirty years later, the events of that day are rarely discussed by those affected. It is known simply as 'The Tragedy'.

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So this global trade plague and pestilence will only affect Thailand?

Or did I miss something?

I have a good friend who gets morbidly pessimistic and gloomy especially after a couple of glasses of red. Maybe try the white?

Of course, it's a worldwide problem.  But the effect is going to be worse in countries that already have fundamental problems like runaway family debt, high inequality, lousy education systems, and corruption. 

Not to mention that it's going to stress out countries who have tightly hitched their wagon to the rising Chinese star.  Get addicted to billions of dollars of tourist and investment money coming from one country, and there are going to be withdrawal symptoms when that tap get shut off, even for a few months.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 10:25 AM, EricS said:

Actually I think he started too early probably before there were enough people out yet to shoot. I think they said he started at like 4AM yesterday and it sounds like he probably chickened out because if he fired 20 shots with one of those riffles he could have hit people if he wanted to it’s not that hard you don’t have to be that skilled with it to shoot people at close range. I think he flipped out probably heard about the shooting up here last week and wanted to make his own statement I guess. Then it looks like he got out there and probably still wanted to show people that he was serious at least so he fired some ammunition but I think he realized it was yesharder than he thought to take a life that’s what it sounds like happened. I didn’t hear what kind of rifle he had but if he fired 20 shots I’m assuming it was some kind of an automatic rifle or maybe he just had a hunting rifle or something with a lot of bullets who knows.

Next time if you start feeling like causing mayhem and carnage please consider a game of Grand Theft Auto no body really gets hurt it’s fake blood and no prison time. Just a tip. 

Yes you nailed it. Plus he little <deleted> was probably a wannabeamerican

On 2/15/2020 at 5:27 AM, bobinkolat said:

True ''but'' this just does not happen here in Thailand, Europe USA etc but not here 2 incidents        in as many weeks  guy in Hungerford  many weeks, I can not believe it, being  brit I remember  gunman Michael Ryan went on the rampage in the small town of Hungerford. Sixteen people were killed and 15 more were seriously injured in what was the UK's worst mass shooting. Thirty years later, the events of that day are rarely discussed by those affected. It is known simply as 'The Tragedy'.

Good that you pointed out that mass shootings does not only happen in Thailand, or else no one would know thanks

why did you feel like writing that? No one here has said it only happens here, always in crime news there is some peopl just have to write "this happens everywhee" not only Thailand buhu, this is a page about Thailand, we are discussing crimes that occurred in Thailand.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:30 AM, NanLaew said:

Bullet proof vest are illegal in Thailand