Bars open to 4am and free visas for Chinese and Indians proposed to save Thai tourism

webfact

27 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Cannot understand the logic behind extending hours in some bars until 4am. There are already numerous places in Bangkok open until then or even later, and having people spending a few hundred THB on another beer or so isn't exactly going to stimulate the economy. 

It means that the bars that pay to stay open until that time, won't need to pay anymore.

It's not a measure for the tourists, but the embattled entertainment venue owners.

Of course that won't stop them having to pay for some other fabricated reason.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Pattaya is not Thailand. In Chiang Mai bars have to close at midnight, so an extended opening time is not a bad idea. And every owner decides if it´s worth to open longer or not. Nobody says that they have to open till 4am. Also every large city in the world (New York, Paris, London, Berlin...) allows bars and clubs to open till late and they are family destination. 

Imagine New York for instance with open air sex bars everywhere. You can't compare it with Pattaya. Chiang Mai perhaps really cares about "normal" tourists. Why should they allow that sex and party tourists disturb others. Not everyone likes red light districts. I have been living in Pattaya for more than two decades. But in the past few years endless new bars opened and also the opening times got extended - but they are not always enforced anyway. I don't see many more bar customers but endless bar ladies and hear often very noisy music from 5 in the afternoon until in the morning. It wasn't that bad when I came here. It got like this during the past few years. I don't want to live in a brothel anymore and will move. It is a big business for some people here. I understand this and so I have little hope that my situation will improve. 

56 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

agree and why  are the WAREHOUSES/OUTLETS allowed to sell alcohol at anytime of the day.....I know of at least eight in Jomtien that sell anytime of the day !!

Because they have a wholesale license.
This enables them to sell booze whenever they like, but only in wholesale quantities.
So can't buy just one bottle of Singha, but a complete box of 24.

Just now, Peterbilt said:

Because they have a wholesale license.
This enables them to sell booze whenever they like, but only in wholesale quantities.
So can't buy just one bottle of Singha, but a complete box of 24.

If you buy enough booze you can buy alcohol everywhere at any time. There is a legal minimum quantity limit how much you have to buy at least. But for my liver this is too much... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Imagine New York for instance with open air sex bars everywhere

As I wrote: Pattaya is not Thailand. Also "bar" doesn´t mean "open air sex bar". Do you have heard about normal pubs, cocktail bars, craft beer bars? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

As I wrote: Pattaya is not Thailand. Also "bar" doesn´t mean "open air sex bar". Do you have heard about normal pubs, cocktail bars, craft beer bars? 

Yes, but here in Thailand if you want to pay your bill and ask "how much" the answer could be "short time 1000 Baht" ????

1 hour ago, Liverpudlian said:

I see in my crystal ball that some time in the future mist & haze that smiles will return to the sturn faces of welcoming immigration staff when we walk in for our extensions etc etc, OH YES SIR !

In your dreams!! Irritation will never change!!! ????????????????

1 hour ago, tinca tinca said:

agree and why  are the WAREHOUSES/OUTLETS allowed to sell alcohol at anytime of the day.....I know of at least eight in Jomtien that sell anytime of the day !!

Yes.

Anyone that cannot find a bottle of booze 24/7 even on holidays is lame.

5 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Yes, but here in Thailand if you want to pay your bill and ask "how much" the answer could be "short time 1000 Baht" ????

You will never hear at bars outside the little red light district in Chiang Mai. 

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Cannot understand the logic behind extending hours in some bars until 4am. There are already numerous places in Bangkok open until then or even later, and having people spending a few hundred THB on another beer or so isn't exactly going to stimulate the economy. 

Yes.  What good happens at that time?

And just adds to the road carnage and DUI problems/arrests, fights, etc.

10 pm I happily am snoring.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The global economy is crashing.... No end in sight... And we play like children, toying with toy-ideas (free visas... bars open until 4 AM... what's next ? Free condoms ? N95 masks with printed cartoons ?)...

In "normal times", it's okay, because it's part of the thai "folklore", of the thai "thing".

We know. And they know that we know. Everything is sabai. There is like an equilibrium.

But now ?

I'm afraid of 2 things :

-we seriously underestimate the economic consequences (it's a classic play through history : "do not panic, everything is well !").

-but we might underestimate as well the political consequences.... that could be explosive within the thai context...

Such "clownesque" and grotesque government couldn't survive in a really tense and hard environment, like a serious pandemic.

And the population -this time- wouldn't "mai pen rai".

And wouldn't forgive...

• Like 2

Rather than opening bars , they should make it easier to get tourist visas .

having to apply online is a chore , setting up an account , logging in having to work out whether the login password is an o or a 0 or an O ,having to resize all photos and documents , downloading a form, signing it and uploading it again are just a few of the difficulties . getting timed out and your account gets closed after ten log ins .

having to upload flight ticket that last minute travelers wont have .

• Like 2

What kind of bubble to these ministers live in? Here in Chiang Mai the BIB went round last week telling bars they can stop closing at midnight and can stay open till 1:30am. Great news! Not. Because the bars have to pay thousands more per month in additional tea money to stay open.  

Pipat is delusional.  If there are no visitors then who is going to patronise these bars that have to pay bribes to stay open, not to mention pay staff to work longer hours.

Pipat, Anutin, Apirat etc are all oxygen thieves and will one day find out how the public feel about their incompetence. 

• Like 2

Dear Khun Pipat

let me explain it to you veeeeeeeeery slowly...slow, like your brain is obviously working....:
opening bars 2 hours longer, will NOT get more people to frequent said bars!

The number of people, going to a bar is still the same, no matter how long it is open!

- Chinese: they go on pre- booked tours!

Gogo - or Beer Bars are hardly EVER on their schedule, so the number of customers is still the same!

- Indians: have you ever talked to Barfirls (I have!) or experience a group of Indian- guys enter a bar (I have!): these guys order a ckoe and three straws for a gang ogf three!

Still: not considerably more customers or revenue for any bar!

Now get a gold star for a good try and go back to your ministry and do a little (sic!) btainstorming again!

I will enjoy the happy hour soon!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

Yes there are rich Indians. You may find a few of them in the luxury hotels in Pattaya but more of them are on Puket and also Kao Lack.
The Kao Lack Marriott was/is a place were plenty of Indian weddings took place.
And an Indian wedding is loud and very expensive.....

Yes! I was hearing about wealthy Indian weddings. There was one at the Marriot Hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 22, heard some stories from that one!????

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's only the farang tourist who want to carry on drinking till late, Hey Somchai they are long gone never to return I think,

How about dropping the stupid laws where you cannot buy until 11am - 2pm then 5pm 

The longer bar hours are a separate issue from the visas.

The longer bar hours were on a thread a while back, and are to attract back the vanishing western tourists, but given immigration are making it as hard as possible for farangs to visit, that looks like a lost cause.

As you correctly point out, that horse has long gone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Perhaps we could also get rid of the Buddha days bar closures. Especially when they fall on a weekend.

On the last Buddha day the village I live in had a big party with music and the local mom and pop shops selling beer like crazy.

Meanwhile all the farrang bars were closed.

Is it only foreigners who have to respect Buddha days?

Good idea!