Bars open to 4am and free visas for Chinese and Indians proposed to save Thai tourism

webfact

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Perhaps we could also get rid of the Buddha days bar closures. Especially when they fall on a weekend.

On the last Buddha day the village I live in had a big party with music and the local mom and pop shops selling beer like crazy.

Meanwhile all the farrang bars were closed.

Is it only foreigners who have to respect Buddha days?

No need to get rid of those Buddah days.
But the government should not ban the sale of booze and/or the order the closure of night spots.
If a bar owner or a bar girl wants to pray to those man made gods and ghosts they can do so. I have no problem with voluntary bar closures when the owner went to a temple to pray or celebrate a special religious day.
But please leave that decision to the people!

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Pattaya is not Thailand. In Chiang Mai bars have to close at midnight, so an extended opening time is not a bad idea. And every owner decides if it´s worth to open longer or not. Nobody says that they have to open till 4am. Also every large city in the world (New York, Paris, London, Berlin...) allows bars and clubs to open till late and they are family destination. 

Yes and extend the noise until 4am so you are allowed maximum 2 hours a night sleep before the lovely morning wake up boom boom noise kicks in, that way everybody wins! ???????? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Little bit related. Right now at Don Mueang

International. Like a ghost town. 

Yes still folk but zero passport control numbers. Boarding gate areas semi empty.

It's great.

Lets hope it stays that way at least until the end of March.......
I'd love to have a vacation in Pattaya without roads congested by coaches and sidewalks blocked by Chinese "FITs" waiting for their ride to Swampy.

3 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

No need to get rid of those Buddah days.
But the government should not ban the sale of booze and/or the order the closure of night spots.
If a bar owner or a bar girl wants to pray to those man made gods and ghosts they can do so. I have no problem with voluntary bar closures when the owner went to a temple to pray or celebrate a special religious day.
But please leave that decision to the people!

Buddha days are very important to many people here and there are not many days without booze because of them. If the bar business wants to govern the religion then this is a very bad sign. But the good thing is that they serve the alcohol in coffee cups or even close completely. Perhaps only because of the fear that Buddha might punish them and not because of laws. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Buddha days are very important to many people here and there are not many days without booze because of them. If the bar business wants to govern the religion then this is a very bad sign. But the good thing is that they serve the alcohol in coffee cups or even close completely. Perhaps only because of the fear that Buddha might punish them and not because of laws. 

So according to your posting its not necessary to ban booze / close nightspots by law. The people would do it voluntarily since they fear the punishment of an allmighty god/ghost (invented by very clever people a long time ago....).
I could easily live with that version because I know that greed is stronger than this fear.....

Edited by Peterbilt

3 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

So according to your posting its not necessary to ban booze / close nightspots by law. The people do it voluntarily since the fear the punishment of an allmighty god/ghost (invented by clever people....).
I could easily live with that version because I know that greed is stronger than this fear.....

I see many bar people praying to Buddha before they open the bars. I am not sure if this is an act of greed already or if greed sets in immediately afterwards. But I don't have a good feeling... ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai tourism and sports minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn told a crisis meeting in Bangkok that he has proposed to the government that bars and entertainment venues stay open to 4 am.

This is your old proposal, Pipat, why don't you bid; bars open 24 hours and one day a week free drinks for everyone?????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Over the years I've seen hotel bars closed on Buddha days, when I thought that they were supposed to be exempt.

When my brother first visited Thailand he moaned about a Buddha day, until we found somewhere that was serving "coffee".

There's a "beer garden" in Lower Sukhumvit that I call the "Last Chance Saloon" on Buddha days!????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I think allowing the sale of alcohol from 2-5pm in hotels is a very bad idea. The whole idea of this rule is to stop high-school kids from drinking at this time. Everyone knows high-school kids can't physically drink before 2pm or after 5pm; it's impossible. But they can magically drink at a time when they're supposed to be in school anyway. Only the ban stops this from happening. 

If you allow alcohol to be sold in hotels from 2-5, you'll just have 5 star hotels full of drunken teenagers. Stop with this madness! 

Arent high school kids in school between 2pm and 5pm?

If you want to bring back the Chinese tourists en masse, offer insanely huge, super cheap, all you can eat buffets with extra large plates for scooping up shrimp. 

Not sure about the Indians. Guarantee hassle free vacations from tailors???

Nothing will save turism until this Coronavirus thing is resolved . I am sitting in the US looking at this thing and I am not coming over until we have a handle. No easy visa or late opening bar is going to induce me to risk my and my family's lives .

It is not only the threat of getting sick, If I come there and things get bad, I could be trapped there, or even if I can come back I might have to be quarantined (detained) for 14 days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Don’t limit exposure, keep the bars open so everyone risks even more exposure.

These people.... my god.

They really don’t deserve the tourists they get. They don’t know how to treat them or protect them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beggar said:

We had this already. And why until 4? If so then better no closing times at all. And I repeat myself - advertise the tourist places as what they are. Pattaya is for sure one of the biggest red light districts in the world with sex offered even in shop malls and on the beach road and in addition at endless sex bars spread all over the place. And I am afraid that extended opening times of the red light districts are not helpful to attract more family tourists. 

Not to even mention barber shops, no I'm not joking.

• Like 1