Bars open to 4am and free visas for Chinese and Indians proposed to save Thai tourism

webfact

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Sometimes you see 4 together, but unlike some falang (and their teelaks), I don't see big rounds being bought and 8,000 Baht check-bins!???????? 

On a more serious note, I think there are very wealthy, big-spending Indians holidaying in Thailand. The thing being, because they don't tend to hang out in bars etc, we don't tend to see them. There's probably a lot who stay in high-end resorts (where they remain for their whole visit).

Also, outside the English speaking world, I don't think there's the drinking-culture anyway.

You must live in a bubble.

Perhaps you mean Caucasian.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What utter nonsense!! All this attention for Chinese & Indian tourists; how about looking after foreigners who R here, day - in,  day - out, Months & Years, substantially supporting the Thai Economy!!!!.. What do we get???                                        Just bothersome Bureaucratic regulations, that R not applied uniformly!! Gov't needs to WAKE-UP!!

22 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You must live in a bubble.

Perhaps you mean Caucasian.

I lived "in a bubble in Bangkok" for nearly 20 years.

I come from the British Isles (The Archipelago, to our Irish friends!). What I mean is that we have a kind of unique pub/drinking culture. There are attempts at replicating British & Irish pubs all over the world. 

Sometimes I still embark on "pub-crawls" in Thailand, as we do in the UK. Also, my drinking is almost always done before 11pm.

That's not to say that people don't drink in other places, but the culture is "different".

I had an old colleague from South Africa, he said that drinking is more likely to be at barbecues/at home etc there. Maybe a little bit to do with not wanting to go out after dark, although he didn't say that.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's only the farang tourist who want to carry on drinking till late, Hey Somchai they are long gone never to return I think,

How about dropping the stupid laws where you cannot buy until 11am - 2pm then 5pm 

Legally you cannot buy alcohol after midnight...

In Thailand, you can only buy or be served alcohol between the hours of 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. – midnight.

• Haha 1

Tourism is not something you switch on like a light bulb; you certainly can switch it off though. 

If the entertainment places are empty throughout the day until midnight I seriously wonder, if all those tourists, hiding in closets in their hotel room, come out after midnight to party until 4am? 

Thailand's tourism has been brought to a screeching halt by Khon Thai and the sheer endless row of absolute ignorance and arrogance by totally unqualified ministers.

You will never restart that particular economic engine to its former power again as you've done too much harm to this delicate commodity by bashing, putting in a visa maze second to none, double and triple pricing, cheating from early mornings to late evenings, poor - if any - appliance of (good and existing) laws, unfavourable currency exchange rates and price explosions, which went in line with the free fall of service and quality level.

Serves you right! Too much greed everywhere. 

• Like 1

So those milllionars from China and India prefer 0-dollar tours and would go to Thailand because they not have to pay a rather cheap visa fee? I would not have imagine that. I also have to admit that during my six years in Thailand I have been in several bars and several times. Only one time I have seen a Chinese in a bar, she was nice, but only one. But if you say this is the cure, of course it is so, you know the best. 

Just one more thing. At least Pattaya have tried to sell in the town as the perfect family friendly resort. May I ask in what country it is regarding as normal for a family to be out on a bar to four a clock in the morning?

12 hours ago, Beggar said:

We had this already. And why until 4? If so then better no closing times at all. And I repeat myself - advertise the tourist places as what they are. Pattaya is for sure one of the biggest red light districts in the world with sex offered even in shop malls and on the beach road and in addition at endless sex bars spread all over the place. And I am afraid that extended opening times of the red light districts are not helpful to attract more family tourists. 

They need to scrap duty on foreign booze... I mean if you could buy decent booze at lower prices than in the west, instead of having to drink the local stuff, as well as 24-hour licences, that would probably help revitalise the place, but they also need to recognise that Thailand is not seen as a bargain anymore.

• Like 1