How is virus scare affecting tourism in SR and Angkor?

Trujillo

Not many people here, many restaurants have only a few customers.

Went to see Angkor Wat last week, it was kind of busy but not too much. Do not want to imagine how it looked like before with all the Chinese tourists. I think it is a great time to visit.

Definitely the right time now to visit SiemReap and the Angkor Wat complex.

I was there 3 weeks ago, and the most famous temples were jam-packed with chinese tour-bus tourists, the chinese selfie-craze and high-volume shouting conversations somewhat ruining the experience there.

Luckily, the Angkor Wat complex is so huge, that I did choose the next days to visit some lesser known ones (and which turned out to be equally or even more amazing than the better known ones).

As approx 2/3 of visitors at the temples were chinese, it will for sure be very quiet now, so go for it.

5 hours ago, cerox said:

Not many people here, many restaurants have only a few customers.

Went to see Angkor Wat last week, it was kind of busy but not too much. Do not want to imagine how it looked like before with all the Chinese tourists. I think it is a great time to visit.

I visited Angkor several months ago before the Corona Virus was known. And it was empty then. Even the mid-range hotel I stayed in was almost empty. Angkor Wat had much fewer people visiting.

I moved to Siem Reap just 5 days ago. Pleasantly very quiet with no Chinese tourist parties "following the flag". Plenty of Western, Australasian, Korean and Japanese tourists but no Chinese. Tourism business definitely down with some hotels, restaurants and bars "for sale" or "for rent". On my cable TV, there is a channel dedicated solely to flight arrivals and departures at airports in Cambodia and many, many flights from China show "Cancelled".

• 2 weeks later...

According to the locals (and hotelier), it is quiet, but go down Pub Street for dinner and it is busy with tourists... albeit most whiteys tend to go home early. I thought Angkor was fairly busy at main temples and could only imagine how it would be spoiled with thousands of ott Chinese. I'd say visit before it starts getting hot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 12:53 AM, daveAustin said:

According to the locals (and hotelier), it is quiet, but go down Pub Street for dinner and it is busy with tourists... albeit most whiteys tend to go home early. I thought Angkor was fairly busy at main temples and could only imagine how it would be spoiled with thousands of ott Chinese. I'd say visit before it starts getting hot.

Most of the big clubs are closed, bars will follow shortly. The town is dead. Half the number of Tuk Tuks, at least 80% reduction in singlets and elephant pants..

Edited by Nyezhov