Light sleeper

Husain Tula

Motorbikes are the bane of my life. I live on a road which is not too busy but is very smooth and has no traffic lights. It is a magnet for these sociopathic kids with Honda Waves kitted out with exhausts that make them sound like a Boeing 747 taking off. It happens every evening at about 10pm when a large crowd of these idiots gather and speed down the road, hunching down to get more speed with the throttle maximally open. We have complained to the police about it but they just smile and do nothing. They could set up a block one night and get 50 kids making a racket...what a money spinner.

My choice is move or put up with it.

I am also a light sleeper, and have the same problem.

I have an easy remedy that works perfect for me.

Two things.

1. Go to pharmacy and buy the soft, orange ear plugs.  Sleep in them.  

2. Go to You Tube and find White Noise videos.  These can be the sound of rain, a fan, waterfalls, etc, etc.  Play this from your computer, near to you, when you sleep.  The constant white noise will not prevent you from sleeping, it will help you.  This is because the noise is constant.  

I use this one

32 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Motorbikes are the bane of my life. I live on a road which is not too busy but is very smooth and has no traffic lights. It is a magnet for these sociopathic kids with Honda Waves kitted out with exhausts that make them sound like a Boeing 747 taking off. It happens every evening at about 10pm when a large crowd of these idiots gather and speed down the road, hunching down to get more speed with the throttle maximally open. We have complained to the police about it but they just smile and do nothing. They could set up a block one night and get 50 kids making a racket...what a money spinner.

My choice is move or put up with it.

they do this because they think it impresses the girls.

its because they are generally poor people, and this is what they can afford to do.

(this was explained to me by a thai girl that i know)

but as we all know, the thai men are the same as kids.  

• Like 2

I know folks both Thai and falang that have reported noisy bikes as part of the appeal and initiative of the Governor of Phuket and RTP (yeah heah lol I know the RTP and initiative just don't seem to go together in the same sentence lol) to have folks report them .... and it seems action has quite swift with prosecutions.

Here in Phuket we call 1155 and then make a report to the local cop shop with photos and video if possible.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:30 AM, Husain Tula said:

Can anyone enlighten me if it is a normal thing that most motorbikes, no matter how small they are, produce ear deafening noise.

Yes, it's a very normal action from kids – you've never done it yourself? – when I was kid, ages ago, we use to take a piece of cardboard and a pair of clothespins to have the spokes in the wheel make a loud cool "motor"-noise...????

Kids of today are far more turbo-cool...????

4c502fe35a13c0a49a2aa4278eac9c06?auto=fo

Young Thai men – and cool youngsters anywhere driving a noisy bike – are just like kids, that's why...????

Apart from your own suggestion about moving, I can only think of either investing in a pair of expensive noise cancelling AKG headphones – running you aircon might be way cheaper – or the more affordable solution here...

615tXi1fUlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

–even a Cheap Charly model something like this might be available from HomePro or Mr. DIY...

71eQKVgbL1L._SL1500_.jpg

PS: There actually is a Thai law of how many dB noise a motorbike is allowed to produce, so you could try to get the police interested – in some cases you are even eligible to half the fine if you report it, but I don't know if that's the case with wannabe-motorbikes...????

Edited by khunPer
typo

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Another member of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade.

I don't see anything wrong with the fact of going home if one don't like it somewhere anymore.

I am 20 years in Thailand, but the day things become too much for me to undergo, I will leave.

There are practical reasons for loud motorbikes. To be heard and noticed. So they don't get hit by micro-sleeping white van drivers.

If you think it's quiet living in the countryside, think again. Noise is everywhere, it's how you deal with it.

Whinging about noise, when there are things you can do, really is not helpful. So shutting doors and Windows takes away the noise, but the down side is the aircon has to be on. For goodness sake. Stop whining and do sometning.

44 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I don't see anything wrong with the fact of going home if one don't like it somewhere anymore.

I am 20 years in Thailand, but the day things become too much for me to undergo, I will leave.

Nothing wrong with going home if that"s what you want, but being told if you don't like anything, just

go home is not on, and I will not take kindly if anyone says that to me.

• Like 1

I haven't read the whole thread, but my advice to the original poster 'Husain' is to try ear plugs. The '3M' brand ones in Tesco are REALLY good and block out a lot of noise. The bike noise is something peculiar about Thai guys - they love to fit modified exhausts even if their bike doesn't have that much power so it makes crazy amounts of noise. It's like the noise compensates for having a crappy bike or something. You'll never escape it no matter where you live in Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, Husain Tula said:

I must admit that I have not lived next to airport and yes, there is exaggerations in my statement to express how loud. Anyway, thank you for the comments

The worst thing you could do is to move to the country. I live on the edge of a golf course, but in a small community close to a temple and a village and it's pandemonium. Dog noise is the chief culprit, closely followed by bass-heavy music from the temple, village and shacks in a 360 degree circumferance. Even from the golf course. Then there's the traffic on the dirt track next to me which seems to have the same volume of traffic as the Bangkok expressways. It's much quieter living in town I can assure you. My Thai wife of course, doesn't hear any of it.

I am afraid the only thing that you can do is to move. There is a bar here in Pattaya in front of my condo. The condo has been here almost 30 years in an extremely quiet surrounding until... 4 years ago a bar opened in front of it and despite special expensive windows with several centimeters of glass and the best earplugs one can buy it is hard to sleep. Watching TV is a challenge. Very many people complained at the city hall and very many called their hotline at 1337. I want to post the results of years of complaints here:

End of the results. It just got worse and I will abandon my condo for which I paid several million Baht. There is no other option. My advice - don't buy a condo at a location that is a big red light district. 

• Like 1

I HEAR YA! Noise drives me crazy here and is my lifes journey trying to escape it

last year I lived right by CNX airport--high season--planes from 6am to 1am to china DAILY

So moved further down the road which is a long straight open road..yep..nightly drag racing!!

And now my "quiet"room is being remodeled..all of it..coffee shop out in lot--painting inside and outside--repaving the lot--moved motobike awnings--cut down trees--you name it--complete revamp-so

I get the nice sound of jackhammers--metal saws grinding on rebar and metal slabs---yippee...

Some tricks Ive used...my fan helps--more power= more white noise--AND as I'm writing this I can hear the big airbus right on time heading back to china.....not as big a deal as Im awake..

WHITE NOISE app...I have a tablet I use when I sleep with a google white noise app on FULL BLAST--so much the manager knocked on my door thinking I had a water pipe burst-lol  I told him its to help me sleep from all the damn noise the thais are making so 2 can play that game!

Used to use reg headphones but couldnt sleep with them--hurt me ears..I do use the max rating 3M foam plugs when I sleep and if it gets super noisy I used bluetooth headphones with the white noise app and that helps and I can sleep on my side..

I put wallpaper tape over my bathroom screen to block that as its basically an open window and close bathroom door

So Maybe can use AC on FAN high setting or buy a noisy fan--add 3m earplugs and a white noise app

TRIFECTA!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

WHITE NOISE app...I have a tablet I use when I sleep with a google white noise app on FULL BLAST--so much the manager knocked on my door thinking I had a water pipe burst-lol 

LOL! You know it is possible to live in hundreds of places to not be bothered by airplanes or road traffic etc right? 
Kind of asking for trouble if living so near big roads and airports. Move to Sansai or Doi Saket if you want a peaceful life.

I never have any noise here, sometimes 1 dog that will be sorted out quickly. They do have a lot temple things in the first months of the year but it always ends at reasonable times and would not be bothered by it if closing the doors and windows. That is in Sansai btw.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

being told if you don't like anything, just

go home is not on,

You express herewith your opinion about the matter,

fair enough for me. 

It is also fair enough for me,

that another poster may be not agree with you, and consider he is entitled to express his opinion by telling you to go home if you not like something. 

I have my own opinion about the matter, however irrelevant, as an opinion has no real value. 

It is only what it is : an opinion. 

10 hours ago, Beggar said:

I am afraid the only thing that you can do is to move. There is a bar here in Pattaya in front of my condo. The condo has been here almost 30 years in an extremely quiet surrounding until... 4 years ago a bar opened in front of it and despite special expensive windows with several centimeters of glass and the best earplugs one can buy it is hard to sleep. Watching TV is a challenge. Very many people complained at the city hall and very many called their hotline at 1337. I want to post the results of years of complaints here:

End of the results. It just got worse and I will abandon my condo for which I paid several million Baht. There is no other option. My advice - don't buy a condo at a location that is a big red light district. 

I agree with you. We live at the end of what used to be a very quiet soi off Thong Lor. Spent several millions building a new house, but slowly many of the surrounding houses are being sold or rented out and turned into Japanese restaurants and night clubs. 

The restaurants have no parking spaces, so the drivers park around our house, sometimes in 3 lanes blocking the road completely. They leave their motors running for 2 hours while the bosses eat. I ask them to turn off the  motors (now most do) but when I leave they turn the motors on again.

When the restaurants close the nightclubs open. Again they park around our house and at 3 or 4 am the customers come back to their cars , shouting and revving up the motors.

We have good insulated walls and windows which keep out most of the noise, but sometimes the noise is so loud we get woken up. 

I guess it is the same everywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...