BANGKOK
Husain Tula

Light sleeper

Motorbikes are the bane of my life. I live on a road which is not too busy but is very smooth and has no traffic lights. It is a magnet for these sociopathic kids with Honda Waves kitted out with exhausts that make them sound like a Boeing 747 taking off. It happens every evening at about 10pm when a large crowd of these idiots gather and speed down the road, hunching down to get more speed with the throttle maximally open. We have complained to the police about it but they just smile and do nothing. They could set up a block one night and get 50 kids making a racket...what a money spinner.

My choice is move or put up with it.

Use ear plugs or move to some boring  european country

I am also a light sleeper, and have the same problem.

I have an easy remedy that works perfect for me.

Two things.

1. Go to pharmacy and buy the soft, orange ear plugs.  Sleep in them.  

2. Go to You Tube and find White Noise videos.  These can be the sound of rain, a fan, waterfalls, etc, etc.  Play this from your computer, near to you, when you sleep.  The constant white noise will not prevent you from sleeping, it will help you.  This is because the noise is constant.  

I use this one

32 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Motorbikes are the bane of my life. I live on a road which is not too busy but is very smooth and has no traffic lights. It is a magnet for these sociopathic kids with Honda Waves kitted out with exhausts that make them sound like a Boeing 747 taking off. It happens every evening at about 10pm when a large crowd of these idiots gather and speed down the road, hunching down to get more speed with the throttle maximally open. We have complained to the police about it but they just smile and do nothing. They could set up a block one night and get 50 kids making a racket...what a money spinner.

My choice is move or put up with it.

they do this because they think it impresses the girls.

its because they are generally poor people, and this is what they can afford to do.

(this was explained to me by a thai girl that i know)

but as we all know, the thai men are the same as kids.  

• Like 2

I know folks both Thai and falang that have reported noisy bikes as part of the appeal and initiative of the Governor of Phuket and RTP (yeah heah lol I know the RTP and initiative just don't seem to go together in the same sentence lol) to have folks report them .... and it seems action has quite swift with prosecutions.

Here in Phuket we call 1155 and then make a report to the local cop shop with photos and video if possible.

Get a decent set of ear plugs or headphones. Wife and family 

talk loud all the time but luckily most are gone to bed by 21:00.

we live on outskirts of village after dark it gets quiet

On 2/14/2020 at 5:30 AM, Husain Tula said:

Can anyone enlighten me if it is a normal thing that most motorbikes, no matter how small they are, produce ear deafening noise.

Yes, it's a very normal action from kids – you've never done it yourself? – when I was kid, ages ago, we use to take a piece of cardboard and a pair of clothespins to have the spokes in the wheel make a loud cool "motor"-noise...😆

Kids of today are far more turbo-cool...😎

4c502fe35a13c0a49a2aa4278eac9c06?auto=fo

Young Thai men – and cool youngsters anywhere driving a noisy bike – are just like kids, that's why...🖕

Apart from your own suggestion about moving, I can only think of either investing in a pair of expensive noise cancelling AKG headphones – running you aircon might be way cheaper – or the more affordable solution here...

615tXi1fUlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

–even a Cheap Charly model something like this might be available from HomePro or Mr. DIY...

71eQKVgbL1L._SL1500_.jpg

PS: There actually is a Thai law of how many dB noise a motorbike is allowed to produce, so you could try to get the police interested – in some cases you are even eligible to half the fine if you report it, but I don't know if that's the case with wannabe-motorbikes...🙂

Edited by khunPer
typo

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Another member of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade.

I don't see anything wrong with the fact of going home if one don't like it somewhere anymore.

I am 20 years in Thailand, but the day things become too much for me to undergo, I will leave.

There are practical reasons for loud motorbikes. To be heard and noticed. So they don't get hit by micro-sleeping white van drivers.

If you think it's quiet living in the countryside, think again. Noise is everywhere, it's how you deal with it.

Whinging about noise, when there are things you can do, really is not helpful. So shutting doors and Windows takes away the noise, but the down side is the aircon has to be on. For goodness sake. Stop whining and do sometning.

44 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I don't see anything wrong with the fact of going home if one don't like it somewhere anymore.

I am 20 years in Thailand, but the day things become too much for me to undergo, I will leave.

Nothing wrong with going home if that"s what you want, but being told if you don't like anything, just

go home is not on, and I will not take kindly if anyone says that to me.

• Like 1

This whole country loves Noise , and on the way to Airport I stop at drug store and buy a bottle of 100 ear plugs, or move to isaan and get some lousy neighbors 

You never lived in a city before, LOL.

I once called the Noise Complaint hotline in New York City before and complained that the garbage pickup trucks were making a lot of racket at 5:00 in the morning.

They hung up on me. 🤣

I haven't read the whole thread, but my advice to the original poster 'Husain' is to try ear plugs. The '3M' brand ones in Tesco are REALLY good and block out a lot of noise. The bike noise is something peculiar about Thai guys - they love to fit modified exhausts even if their bike doesn't have that much power so it makes crazy amounts of noise. It's like the noise compensates for having a crappy bike or something. You'll never escape it no matter where you live in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Move. Be wiser next time about your distance from big roads. I'd recommend 400m straight back from the main road, quiet dead end soi. Preferably your own the backside of the building as well and at least five floors up.