webfact

34 minutes ago, royalmice said:

Thai tourism was struggling before the Carona Virus outbreak

But since the virus in Chiang Mai happened this:
- Hotel bookings down 50-80%
- Elephant camp bookings down 50-80%
- Car rental business down 50%
- Money exchanges down 40%
- Clothes sales down as much as 90% (they may mean markets)
- Van operators and tour guide services down 70-80%
- Massage parlors down 80-90%

In the beginning of January everything was good.

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Oh really?! A friend has a restaurant in Chiang Mai. He said Chinese pay 800 pp, farangs 200 Baht pp. The sellers on the markets say that Chinese are the people they spend most pp. And many little massage parlors they are closed now because no Chinese in town pay nothing to agencies because the Chinese are individual travelers. 
Yes, the Chinese stay only a couple of days. Same as Europeans visit Paris, London or Barcelona for a couple of days because these cities are only a few hours away.

I still visit Chiang Mai and Bangkok on business and stay in hotels rather than with friends.  The amount of Chinese staying in the hotels has increased enormously and where I stay they are all independent travellers.  Usually young professionals with their families.  They are polite and friendly, speak English well and I imagine they spend well on food and souvenirs, judging by the amount of bags they are always carrying.

It is true that there are flocks of Chinese tour groups that will outnumber the independent travellers but I can assure you there are an increasing amount of those too. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Because you speak Chinese? Congratulation!????

Hard to believe but I also don't speak Spanish, Japanese and Thai but can communicate with them - in English. And, surprise surprise, you are not German but I can communicate with you.

Learn your math and to take the lesson of it. So TaT said to day that tourism was down nearly 50 per cent in January, and that expected touriesm over year could go down from 40 millions to 20 millions and you say that the problem is that the 11 million missing Chinese is the problem. That is less than 10 per cent of what is lost. The big issue you have to ask your self is where the other 40 per cent gone and why they not come to Thailand.

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Funny, Chinese don´t complain about the Baht and come in masses (if there is no virus). Only westerns are whining.

How would you know whether they were complaining or not?

What Chinese media do you read?

Can you read Chinese?

What do the Chinese write about, in Chinese when they are here or when they return to China?

do you have access to all Chinese media outlets?

What utter nonsense you are spouting!

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

@all guys they say "nice, less tourists, especially the Chinese ones, make the country so much better":

- Hotel bookings down 50-80%
- Elephant camp bookings down 50-80%
- Car rental business down 50%
- Money exchanges down 40%
- Clothes sales down as much as 90% (they may mean markets)
- Van operators and tour guide services down 70-80%
- Massage parlors down 80-90%

- Restaurants down 80%

(numbers for Chiang Mai)

And who is suffering? The Thais they lose their jobs. 

truth is that 70%- 80% of all tourists, from all countries, cancelled their trips

and booked flights to thailand, and rightly so.

the most stupid thing is to risk your life for a holiday.

when the ture numbers of thailand infected will be discovered, even less

tourists will want to come here in the future, becuase who wants to come to

a country that value $$ more than human lives ?

feel sorry for thailand, but this crisis has been mismanaged from the begining, in the 

worst way that can be imagined.

first, they allow travel from huwei - the source of the pandemic ! unvelieveale!

second, the health minister say all farang who don't wear masks must be thrown out of the country !!

third, they don't allow a cruise ship to dock in thailand, just because it hads been to hong kong...but

hey, did'nt you just say thailand with 33 cases is safe? so hong kong must be also safe.

fourth, they did not allow rich western tourists from this cruise boat, but will allow them

to enter thaiald from cambodia after "checking". hey, make up your mind. the virus has 24 days 

incubation period, so it won't help taking temperatures !

and fifth, only 33 people were infected in thailand, and the number has'bt changed for allready 

14 days. seriously ???

10 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

How would you know whether they were complaining or not?

10 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

What utter nonsense you are spouting!

Because you reply so " friendly" I will do the same. Do you speak German? No? How can you read my text above and my reply now? Perhaps because I write in English. Believe it or not, many Chinese also can speak English. And I talk with Chinese. Perhaps you should do that too and don´t sit in your Isaan village and talk about things you don´t know. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Because you reply so " friendly" I will do the same. Do you speak German? No? How can you read my text above and my reply now? Perhaps because I write in English. Believe it or not, many Chinese also can speak English. And I talk with Chinese. Perhaps you should do that too and don´t sit in your Isaan village and talk about things you don´t know. 

The only ones that are actually complaining are the long term expats here on TVF. I can’t understand their masochistic behavior. If I dislike the country and the authorities and their policies as much as them, I would be on the next flight out. 

• Like 1

If Thailand also provided the red carpet to other nationals, then you might find an increase in tourism. Having said, the Thai baht is far too strong, and quite honestly there are so many cheaper alternatives, that the country has made a rod for it's own back.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Hard to believe but I also don't speak Spanish, Japanese and Thai but can communicate with them - in English. And, surprise surprise, you are not German but I can communicate with you.

Communicating in a very basic way with a small number of Thai people ... is not called communicating. And with the Chinese? How many speak English fluently, but you declare that only the farangs complain but not the Chinese, so how do you draw this conclusion? It is certainly not this very answer that explains anything credible. But the people who walk on a bad faith thread are numerous when they want to be right, this is not very important, so thank you that we let's go no further, have a good day.good day

23 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The lack of Chinese is really showing how the entire infra has been geared towards them in the last few years. I'm seeing hotel broschures, menus, tours etc only being offered in Chinese.

What brought it home to me was the Thai Post tracking page was updated to include Chinese language recently!

33 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Communicating in a very basic way with a small number of Thai people ... is not called communicating. And with the Chinese? How many speak English fluently, but you declare that only the farangs complain but not the Chinese, so how do you draw this conclusion? It is certainly not this very answer that explains anything credible. But the people who walk on a bad faith thread are numerous when they want to be right, this is not very important, so thank you that we let's go no further, have a good day.good day

Perhaps you know the wrong people (Thais and Chinese). I know many Thai friend they speak a good English (teacher, dentist, professor at the university, real estate agent, etc.). Also I met very good English speaking Chinese (director at Alibaba, hotel owner, guys with software companies, etc.) and some became my friends. But, that´s right, there are also many Thais and Chinese with a very low English knowledge. 
The Chinese say that Thailand became more expensive - but it´s by far cheaper than China. And China has, I have been there and traveled to many places and cities, European prices. For Chinese flights to Thailand are cheap and it´s not far. 

15 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

The Chinese say that Thailand became more expensive - but it´s by far cheaper than China. And China has, I have been there and traveled to many places and cities, European prices. For Chinese flights to Thailand are cheap and it´s not far.

Thailand is indeed far cheaper than China & that is the principle reason that so many Chinese come here, they would happily vacation at home, but it is far too expensive for them.

This current situation may mark a change in their travelling, most Chinese factories are still shut down as are many industries, when will they open up again? If the Chinese government decides that they would prefer that Chinese spend their money at home, that is what will happen. First they have to get back to work and start earning money again.