Immigration skipped over 10 clean pages, stamped near end of passport pages.

This happened yesterday in Vietnam, only 3 empty pages after it.

When returning to Thailand (or using it anywhere else), did this IO pointlessly create a major problem, or is this not an issue and Immigration in Thailand and elsewhere don't mind stamping in between?

I think I've read in the past of one needing x amount of clean pages but I may be imagining this.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Vietnam like to use the back of my passport.

Makes it easy for them to check how many VISA waivers I do in a year.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Every time i've been to Vietnam they stamped on the last pages.

The Vietnamese woman at the Tourist Information desk at the DAD airport told me they always stamp hers on the back pages.

Glad it's not a passport issue for future use.

As BritManToo says, if you travel to VN frequently, the IO's will start stamping from the last page and work backwards so that each entry stamp has the exit stamp immediately to the right in a neat column down the page.

It doesn't appear to have any significance except making it easier for the IO at departure to locate the last entry stamp.

• Like 1

In my younger days I traveled a lot and I distinctly remember a country that insisted on putting its visa/stamp on a free page after everybody else. Not to any odd free page in me passport. Had to keep a last page free for them !!   LOL

Forgot which country.

I remember a few weeks ago someone who visited Vietnam regularly from Thailand said on here that the Vietnam IO's always put his visa and in/out stamps at the back of his passport. He thought it was just for him because he made so many visits but maybe they do it for everyone. Makes sense really, as it makes their job quicker and easier; unlike Thailand it shows a bit of common sense! Mind u, it only works as long as no other countries IOs decide to do the same...lol.

3 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I remember a few weeks ago someone who visited Vietnam regularly from Thailand said on here that the Vietnam IO's always put his visa and in/out stamps at the back of his passport. He thought it was just for him because he made so many visits but maybe they do it for everyone. Makes sense really, as it makes their job quicker and easier; unlike Thailand it shows a bit of common sense! Mind u, it only works as long as no other countries IOs decide to do the same...lol.

As the number of countries who use Smart Gates for non-citizens increases, the occurrence of stamps in the passport will decline. Australia for example now lets passport holders from 26 counties including Thailand use their Smart Gates, so they'll never get an Australian Immigration stamp in their passport https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/smartgates/arrivals

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I've had this happen many times before in many countries, the officer just opens at any page and hits that page with the stamp. 

Opposite s always happened to me . The I.O always makes his new stamp next to the older one .

I do believe that they are now required to do that 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

As the number of countries who use Smart Gates for non-citizens increases, the occurrence of stamps in the passport will decline. Australia for example now lets passport holders from 26 counties including Thailand use their Smart Gates, so they'll never get an Australian Immigration stamp in their passport https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/smartgates/arrivals

That would be great and not fill up passports with stamps before the passport expires.

5 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

And when they were still stamping, AU IOs always (in my experience) used the last or next-last page. (actually, so what? A stamp takes up the same space if it's at the front or the back).

Wherever you are, TELL the IO what page he/she/it has to stamp and show them. It's not their passport (or yours, of course, it belongs to an alleged government) and they don't have rights on it. I have said this dozens of times and it always works.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, thedemon said:

As BritManToo says, if you travel to VN frequently, the IO's will start stamping from the last page and work backwards so that each entry stamp has the exit stamp immediately to the right in a neat column down the page.

It doesn't appear to have any significance except making it easier for the IO at departure to locate the last entry stamp.

Vietnamese are very practical in many things they do. They abhor wasting time. Don't think they are unfriendly. Amazingly friendly people out of tourist ghettos. 

Not a problem I had a US passport which at that time you could add pages which sew and tape thick.. stamps everywhere didn’t 

bother me IO can spot easily what need. I put an index sticky tape

where the visa was... wait a few minutes of them flipping around and point it out...

8 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Vietnamese are very practical in many things they do. They abhor wasting time. Don't think they are unfriendly. Amazingly friendly people out of tourist ghettos. 

True. They're also the most proficient thieves in SE Asia.

• Confused 2

Out of 3 visits to Vietnam, they only once stamped me in and out on the last page available, the very last page was already used up by other countries. 

I still have 20 + free pages.

but it seems they check all the past visits, as the officer was flipping through my passport looking for the previous stamps.

They are probably trying to detect doctored passports.