Thai Army Reform: A tough new rule – with exceptions

webfact

He made some notable exceptions, saying Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, both retired generals, were exempt because of their significant contributions to the country’s wellbeing.

"Significant contributions to the country's well-being?" No comment. 

This is Wrong  remember what I say here. This will.pisss off many of them. They will take gun and shout... the economy is bad.. people have no money. Bank not lending and everyone pawn money in Thailand right now..  kicking out retire office fri  home will create HATE... thailand is sinking....

• Like 2

In the realm of comedy, these guys continually outdo themselves.   Well done.  

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, both retired generals, were exempt because of their significant contributions to the country’s wellbeing"

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Apirat wants retired officers out of their subsidised homes so that serving officers still without houses can move in.

He ordered the Army Welfare Department to determine which of the retirees had less than sterling records while serving their country and issue them eviction notices with a February 29 deadline.

So are the houses rented or owned by the officers?

If they merely rented them during their career then when retired they should automatically vacate the properties?

prayut still have such a house, did he not sell a little plot of lend a few years ago for 300 million baht ???

this is what is wrong in this country... when super rich control everything, also benefits that should go to the poorer fellow

but this country is ME ME ME first based, no shock

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

So are the houses rented or owned by the officers?

If they merely rented them during their career then when retired they should automatically vacate the properties?

"... less than sterling records while serving their country "

Most officers have been in the Thai military during a period when there was no conflict, therefore no chance to shine in the field.

So what else would give them the classification of a 'sterling record'?

- Car always very clean. (Actually cleaned by conscripts.)

- Uniforms beautifully starched and very highly polished shoes, every day. (Actually done cleaned by conscripts.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Srisuwan believes the premier displayed poor manners by smiling, waving and forming his fingers into a heart shape when he should have been sombre, in deep sympathy for the victims.

My GOD! Come down and see... What I must to read!

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

The ombudsman was asked to look into Prayuts behaviour, after the tragedy !!

What will the outcome be?

Ohh he was under stress, beside himself with grief, thats probably what will be the excuse, for the clowns disgusting, disrespectful antics.

First post in and the usual Thaigeezer negativity. At least you maintain the standard. Reform IS necessary but its not going to happen over night.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Denim said:

But they can sneak in the back door when all the fuss has blown over. Everything as usual.

But hey !!! Why would Prayuth need to use the army welfare scheme ?

Back in May 2013 he sold a plot of land to a private company newly opened ( his was first transaction ) in the British Virgin Island ( tax haven )for a whopping 600,000,000 !!

So has he spent all that to justify going on army welfare ?

Yea yea....it all went on drugs ,booze and fast women as usual

But didn't they cease to be army the moment they were involved in firing upon civilians?

19 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The inequality continues! Is this not the root cause of the countries problems?

Indeed. But now we have the very very senior army bosses showing they are more equal than their perceived minions. The minions ain't gonna be pleased with this. Could be the start of some fractures. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. But now we have the very very senior army bosses showing they are more equal than their perceived minions. The minions ain't gonna be pleased with this. Could be the start of some fractures. 

I doubt it, they cant organise themselves to do anything about, put it down to their "quality" education!

It's not just retired high ranking officers who live in on-base housing (more like old townhouses).  Wing 21 in Ubon has retired NCO's living in housing across from the golf course.  Certainly not mansions; but, subsidised/free housing is a significant benefit to a retiree, evidenced by the expensive vehicles parked in front of those homes.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

"... less than sterling records while serving their country "

Most officers have been in the Thai military during a period when there was no conflict, therefore no chance to shine in the field.

So what else would give them the classification of a 'sterling record'?

- Car always very clean. (Actually cleaned by conscripts.)

- Uniforms beautifully starched and very highly polished shoes, every day. (Actually done cleaned by conscripts.)

I've never been in the military so no first hand experience and certainly no experience of how things work in the Thai forces but my dad was an Officer's Batman during WW2. He said it was a 'soft billet' and he was the envy of his mates. He got better food from the Officers' mess, better general conditions, avoided many unpleasant soldierly duties and just had to keep his man's kit and uniforms on top line. 

Let us hope there is some truth to this effort. It is about time, that these guys stop getting treated as if they are something special, or as if they have ever done anything for their nation, or their people. The entire army is pretty much useless to the Thai people. They are proving that daily. 

Just look at how they are dealing with the last three crisis situations facing the nation. 1. The airpocalypse. Absolutely nothing has been done. 2. The tourism crisis. Absolutely nothing productive is being done. 3. The mass shooting. Prayuth was conspicuously absent, and very little has been done to assure the nation, and penalize the army. 

• Confused 1

So maybe there will be generals and colonels who will go jobless… Sacking underlings is one thing. Attacking the toxic culture of a feudal military requires much more than this.

The answers they're giving are entirely aimed to keep a tight reign on political power.

apirat.gif

I loved the way he tries to separate the act of the shooter from the Army. We have a soldier who ceased to be a soldier because he was shooting at civilians whilst not under orders, as opposed to the ones that do it under orders.

Prayuth now ordered the Fine Arts Department to produce shows about 'war history' to bolster patriotism among Thais. Strengthen “unity” and promote “awareness of the roles of key institutions — the nation, religion and monarchy — in helping overcome crises…”. Given that most of the propaganda will be about the military, their “reputation” will also be bolstered.

Edited by ben2talk

"Apirat wants retired officers out of their subsidised homes so that serving officers still without houses can move in."

This sounds like a pretty good idea to me !!! ..... And it is nice to see some movement on Dealing with the causes of that recent, Really BAD Problem !!!