Why can't an American resident of Thailand buy short term medical insurance for a trip to the US?

luther

It seems like it's impossible for an American resident of Thailand to buy short term medical insurance at any price for a trip to the US. Why can a Thai buy coverage for the same trip, but not an American?

I'm aware that World Nomads and other organizations will sell you trip insurance, but there is great debate as to whether this would cover say medical bills after a car accident.

If anyone can explain why this is or has figured out a solution, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure about a Thai but it isn't about Trump, Over a decade I once brought and look into travel insurance gotten at AA, if you do get one the coverage is minimum at best and you got to pay up front due to the high cost of medical in the U.S. many will not provide coverage.

Also, many of the medical policy purchased in Thailand that cover outside will not cover U.S. from my experience unless it is an International one? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dsj said:

I have an insurance broker that I use here in Thailand, and he gave me a website that provides travel insurance, check it out.

You can PM me if you want his contact.

https://www.journeyman-services.com/quotes/travelInsurance.php?ref=TIGON

Worldwide Travel_Go Plan_Nov'18.pdf 136.11 kB · 1 download

only covers up to 30 days

If you are a permanent resident or have a work permit, you can get free complimentary travel insurance if you have a Thai Citibank Platinum Visa Card and spend a minimum of B10,000 whilst travelling on up to a 10 day trip. Travel and accident coverage B1.5Million, Medical expenses B1.5Million. (Register with www.Cigna.co.th 1 day before your trip and they will send your covernote by e-mail)

Edited by Estrada

8 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure about a Thai but it isn't about Trump, Over a decade I once brought and look into travel insurance gotten at AA, if you do get one the coverage is minimum at best and you got to pay up front due to the high cost of medical in the U.S. many will not provide coverage.

Also, many of the medical policy purchased in Thailand that cover outside will not cover U.S. from my experience unless it is an International one? 

I think OP simply wants to buy a travel insurance/accident insurance in Thailand covering his trip while in the US. A thai health insurance isn't a short term insurance. But several thai health insurances includes an accident insurance which works as a travel insurance worldwide, but then you have to convert the coverage in baht to (in this case) $US. My accident insurance covers ฿250k which is quite ok in Thailand,but it's not very much in $US. 

It is true that most travel insurance will not cover a US citizen traveling to the US but some will. Before reaching Medicare age I used to get IMG Patriot Plus.

If you have private insurance covering you in Thailand, check the policy as many will cover you for emergencies on short trips abroad (even US).

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I think OP simply wants to buy a travel insurance/accident insurance in Thailand covering his trip while in the US. A thai health insurance isn't a short term insurance. But several thai health insurances includes an accident insurance which works as a travel insurance worldwide, but then you have to convert the coverage in baht to (in this case) $US. My accident insurance covers ฿250k which is quite ok in Thailand,but it's not very much in $US. 

I fully understood what the ops simply posted.

I recently purchased such a short trip policy from IMG called "Patriot America" which of course broadly excludes any pre-existing or other condition that can be linked to a pre-existing condition.   Caveat emptor as with any insurance you are buying with no group economy of scale. 

Not sure why you as an American are having a problem getting travel insurance going to the US.  I just made reservations with United Airlines and got a decent travel insurance policy for both myself and my wife.  Besides these,  also have Medicare back in the States.  AND if you have a "Black Card" Visa or MC, you have car rental coverage as well as outpatient coverage.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:31 PM, mwbrown said:

I agree, I've purchased American trip coverage from BUPA/Aetna twice.

Ditto that, and I actually made a claim after I got an eye infection while in the States. They paid out no problem

Edited by GinBoy2