BANGKOK
Rimmer

Old Pattaya dying off with elderly Europeans

10 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Just coming back from a few days in Pattaya. Soi Buakhao is nowadays the busiest area. Just noticed that there are still a few retired Europeans around ; but the majority of them are single and have a tendency to talk to themselves. 

Correct I'm there now and that soi is very very busy with overloaded baht busses going in just after dark 

What surprised me was the amount of western woman which was rare to see years ago 

Expat oldies still keep the cheaper bars pretty busy 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thaikahuna said:

I first came to Thailand in 1971 at the age of 19. I was stationed around the corner at U-Tapao. Back then, the exchange rate was 20 baht to $1.00 USD. It went a fairly long way then. There were also no Bar fines, Hell, there were damn near no bars and few bar girls.  The US NCO Club (now a Thai Airways ticket counter) at the north end of beach road was pretty much the end of town. You could throw a rock as far as you could not hit anything until you got to the Nipa Lodge. There was little else down to what is now Walking Street and everything east of 2nd Road was jungle.

After a 30 year absence, I returned in 2001. The baht was running about 44/45 to 1 and things were still very inexpensive. I stayed at the Pig & Whistle on Soi 7 for a paltry B500 per night. I moved here in 2005 and have watched the steady decline in the exchange rate and the ever increasing prices of goods and services.

Pattaya is not the sleepy fishing village it was nearly 50 years ago. Some of the changes have been for better but also a lot for worse. The girls have wised up and learned they can do 4-5 short times and sleep in their own bed every night. Bar fines are going to be the ruination of Thailand. I am sure the bar owners will hate me for that but I don't care. When you use to be able to come here and find a long time for B1000 now costs you that much for a short time PLUS the bar fine.

After nearly 15 years here, I wonder what's next??

That why the low end Indians head for the beach and the cashed up ones to the Indian clubs.

Freelancers in some pay for their own tables with a minimum spend. I don't mean just local girls.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Just coming back from a few days in Pattaya. Soi Buakhao is nowadays the busiest area.

This is predominantly an expat area.

Makes you wonder why visa laws were brought in to push many of the expats out.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not much 'better work' for farm girls that left school age 12 and had 2 or 3 kids by age 20.

But there will probably be harder, longer, more exhausting work for 1/10 the pay.

Given the choice of 12hrs back breaking labour in a rice paddy under the hot sun for 200bht, or 30 minutes letting an old guy slobber over me in a comfy bed, before falling asleep and letting me watch cable TV and use the mini-bar for 2,000bht, I know which choice I would make.

THB 2000?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Anyone paying a bar fine now is plain stupid. 

A lot more girls advertising themselves on Apps these days, and freelancing out of clubs. 

The days of bar fines are coming to an end. 

Glad the guy in the article is happy.  But, who would want to come here and spend one month with the same girl?  He says for love. I am sure the other 11 months she just sits in her room all day waiting for him next year.

I haven´t paid a BF for 5 years.  And would not take any of those girls anyway even with no BF too many hurry up starfishes.

But, they are not going anywhere.

Still plenty of 2 week millionaire tourists who are ignorant about the other options.

Paying 4 to 5,000 b total for one hour of what?

Seems so stupid, but if it makes them happy then good..

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Tourists like the company of girls in a bar while sipping on beers and will fine a girl based on personality and looks something you can't get on an app where often the pic has several filters on it 

Dont fall for that one guys, I have a friend and she's a nice lady but her photo's on Facebook are far superior to her in real life and she's over 40 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3