BANGKOK
Rimmer

Old Pattaya dying off with elderly Europeans

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Buakhao bar scene started as a result of the Beach Rd barbeers being forced out by new developments. Before that, any bar complex in that area had a slow and unpleasant ( for the bargirls ) demise. Someone started a big complex behind the Made in Thailand market, and the remains were still to be seen till recently.

Prior to that, all the action was on Beach and Second, with the biggest area on Soi 8 and down past the Mike hotel, in the Boystown area. Soi 7 started a while later. Then a lot were built up at the Dolphin roundabout end and on Naklua Road.

There were a few barbeers on the road that became Walking Street, but it never really became a big barbeer area, being mainly gogos.

You describe it exactly how it seems to be. I don't see a real zone planing of the city hall. How else could it be that most new bars are opened at Soi Buakhao where it is a challenge to walk because you have to share the road space with the traffic - to cut a long story short you walk on a road without any pavements in the middle of other traffic. Why didn't they choose at least 3rd road if they want to stick to their philosophy of red light districts?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, morrobay said:

Entirely new, to support, the large new, just finishing, deciding to build, going up, plus starting,and numerous new... I don't think you have to be In the business to say it's a little early to say all above are going to be sustainable/supported.

Or become Waterfront memorials. 

On 2/20/2020 at 1:53 AM, Beggar said:

You describe it exactly how it seems to be. I don't see a real zone planing of the city hall. How else could it be that most new bars are opened at Soi Buakhao where it is a challenge to walk because you have to share the road space with the traffic - to cut a long story short you walk on a road without any pavements in the middle of other traffic. Why didn't they choose at least 3rd road if they want to stick to their philosophy of red light districts?

Maybe someone can tell a mere mortal like me what a 'barbeer' is. Can't find it anywhere in the Oxford dictionary.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Melbun said:

Maybe someone can tell a mere mortal like me what a 'barbeer' is. Can't find it anywhere in the Oxford dictionary.

Ask thaibeachlovers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Ask thaibeachlovers

Ahh - he is the original poster. Need someone that can decipher for me.

6 hours ago, Melbun said:

An open bar (no air conditioning). Sells beer (also wine and spirits).  Thai ladies would tell you, "work at barbeer on Soi 8". Maybe that is how the name stuck.  Used to be the bars to go to to find a lady for the night.  Sit at bar, play games....dice game, connect 4, shoot a game of pool, talk to ladies, have fun.  Many still in Pattaya on the major roads, many shut down as new hotels and condos replace them.  Not a great place for the working girls these days I think.  Many older ladies, yet many still busy with drinkers day and night.  Two old ones at the end of Soi 7 and Soi 8 facing Beach road, have been there for 20 years + are usually populated day and night with beer drinkers. 

Peace

Edited by Skallywag

33 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

An open bar (no air conditioning). Sells beer (also wine and spirits).  Thai ladies would tell you, "work at barbeer on Soi 8". Maybe that is how the name stuck.  Used to be the bars to go to to find a lady for the night.  Sit at bar, play games....dice game, connect 4, shoot a game of pool, talk to ladies, have fun.  Many still in Pattaya on the major roads, many shut down as new hotels and condos replace them.  Not a great place for the working girls these days I think.  Many older ladies, yet many still busy with drinkers day and night.  Two old ones at the end of Soi 7 and Soi 8 facing Beach road, have been there for 20 years + are usually populated day and night with beer drinkers. 

Peace

Thanks. Maybe the OP can use common terminology rather than speak in broken English bargirl style. I guess where one bar closes another opens - but better freelancers operating as independent businesses anyway and cheaper.

9 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Thanks. Maybe the OP can use common terminology rather than speak in broken English bargirl style. I guess where one bar closes another opens - but better freelancers operating as independent businesses anyway and cheaper.

Yes Thai friendly is a very popular way to search for and hook up with local freelancer ladies. 

Social media is changing the world.  Got to change with it.

Peace

On 2/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, Beggar said:

I don't see a real zone planing of the city hall.

Thank goodness. That's why we had Old Pattaya, whose demise is so lamented by our old timers, and still have some remnants left.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, Beggar said:

Why didn't they choose at least 3rd road if they want to stick to their philosophy of red light districts?

Who's they? "They" had no philosophy. Developers simply followed the quasi-free market. The cheap flophouses and crappy Brit food popular with mongers were already located primarily around Soi Buakhao, so putting beer bars and go-gos around there--on the baht bus route, too--for their greater convenience only made sense. Targeting that market more closely was well under way before Central Festival started construction, BTW.

If you love Old Pattaya, then you love its chaos. Want sterility, live in Singapore.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Thank goodness. That's why we had Old Pattaya, whose demise is so lamented by our old timers, and still have some remnants left.

Who's they? "They" had no philosophy. Developers simply followed the quasi-free market. The cheap flophouses and crappy Brit food popular with mongers were already located primarily around Soi Buakhao, so putting beer bars and go-gos around there--on the baht bus route, too--for their greater convenience only made sense. Targeting that market more closely was well under way before Central Festival started construction, BTW.

If you love Old Pattaya, then you love its chaos. Want sterility, live in Singapore.

'Old Pattaya' is only relevent to older gents that have experienced that. Just like trying to tell people what it was like to drive a model T Ford. Completely irrelevant to anyone coming to Thailand at this time - regardless of age; who doesn't know or care what it was like back then. Just like telling some kid what it was like to go to the cinema for a dollar.

Edited by Melbun

9 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Yes Thai friendly is a very popular way to search for and hook up with local freelancer ladies.

I think the days of salaried bar girls are generally coming to an end. 

If things continue downward here, as they have been, all the bar girls will be freelancers hanging around a bar, and on their phone apps looking for business.  If they get a customer, they just up and leave.  The bar doesn't control them. 

If a customer goes to the bar and pays lady drinks and a bar fine, the bar girl and the bar will take it, but those customers will soon die out as well.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:03 AM, sahibji said:

if the russians "spend little money once they arrive" then what do they come for? generally one has to spend money for drinks, sun n sand activities or massages etc. otherwise what tourism is there?

They come to Thailand because of warm climate/weather first of all - as it is one of the closest warm destination and also because of affordable rates for accomodation, food, entertainment..Many come for their annual holiday just to relax for 2 weeks, go to the beach, drink beer, have a massage. Thailand is #1 winter destination in Russia (also because Egypt destination was closed for Russian organised tourism for safety reasons for several years already).

There are different types of Russian tourists - coming on package tours by direct charter flights from many Russian cities (mostly Siberian/Eastern regions) to Utapao/Phuket every 10 days (every day from Moscow) and also individual travellers. 

Why they spend less than other tourists - because the level of life /income is not so high in Russia (compared to Western Europe / USA) and it is still going down now - another reason is the rouble crashed by half to usd/baht in 2014. 

23 hours ago, Melbun said:

Its a place where you go to get a haircut in Ireland  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its a place where you go to get a haircut in Ireland  

'To be sure' . In that case it should be called a cuthair. Your missus should go to a cuthair.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, Melbun said:

'Old Pattaya' is only relevent to older gents that have experienced that. Just like trying to tell people what it was like to drive a model T Ford. Completely irrelevant to anyone coming to Thailand at this time - regardless of age; who doesn't know or care what it was like back then. Just like telling some kid what it was like to go to the cinema for a dollar.

The older gents make up the greatest proportion of our forum opinion havers discussing their opinions among themselves and probably also make up the largest audience for the Pattaya Mail. Hence the article and its reference here, same target market. As implied by the article, they come back to Pattaya partly because they remember what it was for them in the day. So it is in fact relevant to them not "regardless of age." I doubt many young people read the forum or if they did would be turned off by all the old curmudgeonly cynicism. Social media is their thing.