BANGKOK
Rimmer

Old Pattaya dying off with elderly Europeans

Inflammatory post removed.

8 hours ago, CGW said:

Where would you suggest, that offers the same amenities, cost & proximity to an airport? asking for a friend :whistling:

Nope, I'm not falling for that one again, the reason I love where I go is cos it's (fairly) quiet, last time I praised a favourite spot i.e. Samui over 30yrs ago, they went and built an airport and look at it now 🥴

• Haha 1

I can not disagree with the assertions in the original post.  My visit there was in 2004 and at that time the place was rocking.  Many Europeans and Americans there.  Many expats retired and living the dream.  Talked with the long time owners of places like the Pig And Whistle, many things were still like they were for the previous decade or so.  Then the Russian craze.  Then the Baht exchange rate, then this massive Chinese and Indian thing.  The city is so much different from the demographics point of view, never mind the over building, Soi Yume used to be dirt and quiet

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

“I come here for love,”

Some things die sooner than later, especially if you win a Darwin award. 

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

30 minutes letting an old guy slobber over me in a comfy bed, before falling asleep and letting me watch cable TV and use the mini-bar for 2,000bht, I know which choice I would make.

That's an image.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I think you are being a bit delusional most can't speak english and unless they can land a sponsor which is increasingly difficult they will be destined for rice row.

Work is getting harder everywhere in the world , why would things improve for Thais when inflation is increasing.

If a better job had ever been an option they would already have quit the bar.

From the testimony of girl i know , they prefer learning <deleted> than controling a robot in a factory.

Thais have no interest in beeing more knowledgeable , you can tell by how little culture they have in general.

They just dont bother. Dont map westerner feeling over a different culture. That just does not cut

9 hours ago, Beggar said:

In Angeles are many Japanese and Koreans. And you have to pay the girls before their service what can lead sometimes to complications I was told. Also apart from the Field Avenue there is not much you can do. In one of the shopping malls you can enjoy a hamburger at Jollibee or American Fastfood at other restaurants. And compared to the Jeepneys the Baht busses in Pattaya provide luxury transportation. Only the Tricycles are better than the motor bike taxis. Why don't we have have Tuk Tuks in Pattaya? Could be a big business.

Wouldn't say trikes are better because you are so close to the ground that you swallow the dust , and because of poor amotizer, you back can be at risk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

OK, but I would pick Angeles City over PP.  Exchange rate is very good and lots of cute young girls.

AC is like a mini Pattaya with no beach. But, no tourist buses, Chinese, Russians , whatever seems to bother people.  

Thoses days are gone. Lot of Koreans and ageing girls. Been there several years , same trend as in Pattaya.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not much 'better work' for farm girls that left school age 12 and had 2 or 3 kids by age 20.

But there will probably be harder, longer, more exhausting work for 1/10 the pay.

Given the choice of 12hrs back breaking labour in a rice paddy under the hot sun for 200bht, or 30 minutes letting an old guy slobber over me in a comfy bed, before falling asleep and letting me watch cable TV and use the mini-bar for 2,000bht, I know which choice I would make.

What time do you want me ? 🙂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, madmen said:

Your talking expat. Remember these guys are tourists and not looking to save every satang and have beers on 7/11 steps which is purely the domain of desperate expats scratching out a living 

Got to think like a tourist dude and only then will the penny drop 

I AM a tourist, albeit a regular one in Patts.

I don't buy beer from  7/11 except to tke back to my room. but I still have a Thai phone and selected ladies have my number and I theirs. The selection changes trip to trip but for a few "hardy annuals"

I take your point though.

14 hours ago, madmen said:

Correct I'm there now and that soi is very very busy with overloaded baht busses going in just after dark 

What surprised me was the amount of western woman which was rare to see years ago 

Expat oldies still keep the cheaper bars pretty busy 

Correct.... although wasn't seeing the western women, the odd one or two. 

13 hours ago, VBF said:

Are they wearing comfortable shoes?  🙄

It is just too hot for chunky sweaters and corduroy pants. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Rimmer said:

He’s content to relax on the beach with a former bargirl he met way back when and returns to visit her every year.

I have to wonder what she does for the remainder of the year

• Haha 1