Chiang Mai Immigration Mess

On 2/16/2020 at 9:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

Because the bank book might of not been updated regularly and the only thing shown on is the balance when it was updated. There could be transactions missing that caused the balance to under the 400/800k baht requirement.

But with a Fixed Term Account you can only withdraw money with the bank book so this should show how much is in the account at all times

On 2/14/2020 at 5:33 PM, FritsSikkink said:

That you don't bring the right paper work is your own fault.

That's not really correct as they have changed the requirements over the last few months. In theory, the requirements should not change over each extension (i.e. what was valid last year should be the same - I know about Embassy letters being taken out of the equation, but they shouldn't be using that to make other changes e.g. not permitting mixed income and savings). There have been several people positing that the underlying reason for several of these changes has been to put pressure on people to go through agents but that is obviously just conjecture. 

I did my extension at CM a few months ago using the old system and then they changed some of the requirements without posting either at immigration or on their website (i.e. you only find out by scouring the forums or when you turn up and get rejected)

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 5:35 PM, peterpop said:

This is a brand new Chief Immigration Officer and I do not think she will last long.  

Not sure how long she will last, but our agent confirmed a few months ago their was a new Chief which was causing "a  lot" of issues.  Our Agent used to be an IO so I'm trusting she was told something by her friends still there.

4 hours ago, roath said:

That's not really correct as they have changed the requirements over the last few months.

The requirements can change any time. Of course they should post things like this on their website, but this would mean less income for them, so they don't do this. But because we know that things can change without any notice it makes sense to call them before going there to get up to date information.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

The requirements can change any time. Of course they should post things like this on their website, but this would mean less income for them, so they don't do this. But because we know that things can change without any notice it makes sense to call them before going there to get up to date information.

In an ideal scenario, you would be right, but considering the fact that immigration officers are already overwhelmed with work, good luck trying to get someone to answer and get the details from them. 

Was there Friday, saw this woman. Just laughed reading this and told the Mrs because we both had the displeasure of meeting her that day. She's the new boss.. not big boss but like sub-boss I think.

She was moaning at people queuing up outside early like you said, everyone was like <deleted>. We're here because it takes forever and we want the first tickets.. why else?

Anyway, normally outside there are young girls on work experience or something helping ppl with forms. Friday had nobody. There was however a guy outside who was asking everyone if they were 90 day, if so he got them a ticket and separated them from the main queue. We asked him if he could check our papers - he said no, the paper must be checked at the main desk. 

So there are two queues, both at the main desk. Noticed some unhappy chappy's coming back from the main desk but didn't think much of it, usual stuff. Around 9am we're almost there (we'd queued since 6am), in front of us was a Chinese family, son seemed to be on student visa or something. They go to the desk and this woman. <deleted> kicks off big time. Chinese woman starts shouting at her, the boss lady shouts back ends up calling someone and I think video called, filming this Chinese lady. Figured it was just rude Chinese tbh, but after like 10 mins they stormed off outside. So we get to the desk, first marriage extension, paperwork out the ass, gave it all to this woman and she saw that the photo wasn't glued down on the sheet (there was no glue or anyone outside helping with forms) - she says 'Why you not do this? You have to put photo. Why you not do?' Before we had a chance to speak she says 'Go, out!' Mrs starts speaking in Thai but the woman is like 'No, go out, do photo queue again.' Unreal.

So we go looking for glue, and outside at the back of the queue the Chinese woman speaks to us. She's says what was your problem? We tell her. Ask what hers was - she didn't sign one copy sheet... that's it. She had kicked off because she could have signed it right there instead of being berated and sent back out like we were.

Anyway, we got glue (to the audible relief of others wandering around with the same problem), queue for another 2 bloody hours, get to the desk and are told we're missing the chanote from our landlord. Arrrrghhhh.

So we went back Monday (yesterday). Queued up, saw that woman but luckily avoided her. Needed various copies and stuff signed, but the woman behind the desk was super helpful and just let us do it there.. as any normal person would.

Still took all day to get done, we finished 5.30, and the wife was talking to one of the workers there who was complaining about the same lady - apparently she's new and has changed all the systems around to how they were in the place she was before, but it doesn't work in CM because it's so busy. Apparently before her, the staff would work a specific thing, like marriage or ed etc but now she has them doing everything at once and it's killing them, confusing and making everything take ten times longer. She actually told me wife to complain because it's the only way anything will get done, she asked why nobody complains officially, but wife said she/people can't because nobody wants problems with their visa.

I also went to my school over the weekend to finish up (I'm changing to marriage extension) and mentioned the glue saga and this woman - the boss at the school knew straight away, said everyone has a problem with this woman, all the staff complain, said she's crazy and causing all sorts of drama.

Also, just to add, aside from this woman, the rest of the staff were great, super helpful on Monday when we got it done, actually apologised for the wait and the drama etc. Felt a little sorry for them because it was obvious they were unhappy with the changes also. We got out of there at 5.30 and still loads of people were waiting, so the staff probably got out of there 7/8pm ish, maybe even later.