BANGKOK
Andrew Dwyer

Underground water leak - where to start !!

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Just a 'grasping at straws' thought. Got any lose tiles or hollow sounding tiles? Could be the leak under them 😞

To be honest unless the leak appears in a wall it’s a non starter.

I uncovered the pipe going underneath the house by breaking 75 mm of reinforced concrete walkway, the kitchen floor is another 350 mm above that, that is one almighty slab !!

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So unless by some miracle the leak shows itself i’m going to have to replace the whole lot .

Oh well, c’est la vie ( as they say in Bradford 😬 ).

>> Glad you found it!

found it.png

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

To be honest unless the leak appears in a wall it’s a non starter.

I uncovered the pipe going underneath the house by breaking 75 mm of reinforced concrete walkway, the kitchen floor is another 350 mm above that, that is one almighty slab !!

It’s very unlikely that the slab is that thick. Almost certainly you have about 300mm of (possibly compacted) earth then the kitchen floor on that.

Hi Andrew.

Just clutching at straws again here - I haven't read every previous post, so this may have been mentioned already:

Today my underground tank was empty (apparently there has been no mains water for a couple of days, but we didn't know).

The second indication of a dry tank was that the pump started running constantly (the first was that I was covered in shower gel with no water to rinse it off).

Anyway, my point is that these pumps are self-priming and always seeking to keep pressurized.

Is it possible that a faulty foot valve in your tank, or a blockage of silt/debris in the pipe from tank to pump (or inside the pump itself) could cause the cycling? i.e. - the pump can't get enough water or is losing water back into the tank.

I have had 2 failed foot valves in the past 10 years. They both caused constant cycling.

My thought is that a partially failed foot valve, or a blockage could cause intermittent cycling.

I know your pain !

We knew we had 3 separate entry points into the house, found 2 and capped the leaky one but never did find the actual leak as it was under a floor.

Luckily it was the kitchen inlet that was leaking so going overground and through the wall was not too difficult or unsightly.

IMG_20170203_125933.jpg

• Like 2