Is it common practice for a Thai government employee to "purchase" their work contracts?

My stepdaughter was working six days a week, driving 24kms daily 8 to 5 and earning 20k baht a month. A job came up in the local government office which she could practically walk too, five days a week 9 to 4 paying 10k baht a month. The grandmother wanted her to take the job based on more time at home, money saved on the car, a job for life she was told. The only snag was there was a payment of 100k baht to the office boss, it got me quite annoyed it’s like working the first year totally free, anyway I was totally against and told my wife that the daughter should turn it down, which she did.

A few weeks later this head honcho came into where my stepdaughter still worked and wanted a loan, after making credit checks she had the great pleasure of refusing his loan due to long time bad credit listings.

Just rambling, however In this country the brown envelopes exist everywhere.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, shootrrdave said:

It's only 13 baht total.

Wow 13 baht. No wonder my GF who is also my daugther's mother always complain "farangs buy so much gold for their wife why you don't buy me gold" I say but farangs get "marriage visa", yellow book, and pink id card from their wife but I don't want any of those useless stuff.  

Edited by Vascoda

43 minutes ago, Brer said:

Just rambling, however In this country the brown envelopes exist everywhere.

And it makes my life so much easier to spend my 6-month Thailad stay on a retirment visa. When posters complain in this forrum about ordeal of getting a retirment visa, I sip pina collada on the beach and laugh reading those posts. 

The question is, does she really want to work for a facility that fleeced her? There must be other places she could work? And exactly who does she pay it to?

Not sure about the teaching profession, but certainly Thai Police have to buy their promotions. Which brings me to another point; is it worth it if she is not getting a promotion?

This sort of thing also occurs anywhere where there is corruption. The whole country runs on it.

Edited by DaRoadrunner