BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Malaysian Student Evicted From House in Australia Because of Coronavirus Fears

A Malaysian student was evicted from her rental house in Perth, Western Australia (WA) because her landlord believes she had picked up the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV or COVID-19) when she returned home for the Chinese New Year.

The student of Chinese descent, identified only as “Helen,” traveled to Malaysia on Jan. 24 to celebrate the Lunar New Year with family and friends.

She flew back to Perth on the morning of Feb. 4, but only to find out that she no longer has a place to stay.

A sign on her door greeted her in capital letters, saying, “WARNING: NO TRESPASSING — HOUSE IN LOCKDOWN DUE TO CORONAVIRUS.”

“Due to your failure to stay in contact with me with World Health Organisation GLOBAL EMERGENCY over coronavirus you are no longer welcome in this house,” the sign continued.

The owner, who claimed to have contacted Helen “many times without success,” ended the note warning that the house is under surveillance.

Helen claimed that she did not receive any text message from her landlord while she was in Malaysia. Instead, she started receiving them after landing in Australia.

“I was so confused and upset,” Helen told ABC Perth. “I feel so sad.”

Full article

There's a lawsuit waiting for an attorney to find it...

• Like 2

There are nutcases in every country...

A lawyer will have a field day on this one-and rightly so.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

There are nutcases in every country...

A lawyer will have a field day on this one-and rightly so.

What amazes me is the contrast with all the YouTubes about how hard it is to get rid of squatters in Australia.  It's a horror story for a lot of property owners...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

What amazes me is the contrast with all the YouTubes about how hard it is to get rid of squatters in Australia.  It's a horror story for a lot of property owners...

Yes indeed as I have learned several times to my cost as the varius Tenancy laws are a minefield often beyound human comprehension.

However this appears to have been a private agreement without a Lease so the tenant is completely at the mercy of the landlord once she leaves the premises.

The house being "under surveillance" probably indicates the landlords present state of mind.

Of course the shoe can be on the other foot at other times.

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes indeed as I have learned several times to my cost as the varius Tenancy laws are a minefield often beyound human comprehension.

However this appears to have been a private agreement without a Lease so the tenant is completely at the mercy of the landlord once she leaves the premises.

The house being "under surveillance" probably indicates the landlords present state of mind.

I think the landlord shot herself in the foot with both the posted notice itself, and the tone of it. 

If there was no evidence of a lease agreement, there is now... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I think the landlord shot herself in the foot with both the posted notice itself, and the tone of it. 

If there was no evidence of a lease agreement, there is now... 

Definitely.

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Even without a lease, the landlord is not free to  engage in this type of discrimination. Please see https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2016C00763

disability, in relation to a person, means: 

(c)  the presence in the body of organisms causing disease or illness; or

(d)  the presence in the body of organisms capable of causing disease or illness; or

Part 2—Prohibition of disability discrimination:  has alot of paragraphs that basically state that for  Accommodation

(2)  It is unlawful for a person, whether as principal or agent, to discriminate against another person on the ground of the other person’s disability:  (a)  by denying the other person access, or limiting the other person’s access, to any benefit associated with accommodation occupied by the other person; or (b)  by evicting the other person from accommodation occupied by the other person; or

landlord is going to pay big time for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1