Foreign (U.S.) marriage - marriage extension

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Apart from the fact they charge ridiculous fees, they ask you to sign a form in Thai.

Not sure the fees are all that high. Probably less than spending a few unneeded nights in Bangkok to do it yourself (visit embassy (appointment needed), wait for translation, go the Department of Consular Affairs (not the MFA) and wait for it to be completed).

The power of attorney does not give them carte blanche permission. It is for a specific purpose.(http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/form-20171128-145019-346528.doc)

There is also the mailed in option I mentioned. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/111078-บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์.html

On 2/17/2020 at 7:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure the fees are all that high. Probably less than spending a few unneeded nights in Bangkok to do it yourself (visit embassy (appointment needed), wait for translation, go the Department of Consular Affairs (not the MFA) and wait for it to be completed).

The power of attorney does not give them carte blanche permission. It is for a specific purpose.(http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/form-20171128-145019-346528.doc)

There is also the mailed in option I mentioned. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/111078-บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์.html

I just advised a friend how to prepare his affidavit as proof of marital status in order to get married.

Everything completed in the day, early morning flight, Embassy appointment, off to the Consular section of the MFA, 2nd floor translated in an hour, paid for EMS return of documents and out by 1500.

Evening flight back home.

Your link to the POA form is not the form I've seen. The agents/translators have their own POA form and it is not specific, as confirmed by my wife. Years ago I was quoted 8,000 by an agent. The friend above was quoted 12,000 baht. In any event you have to personally attend your Embassy/Consulate to make the affidavit.

The mail in option is useful, provided the translation is correct, which in instances there are small corrections required or typo errors. The beauty of using the service on the 2nd floor is that corrections can be made within minutes.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2020 at 8:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

It can still be done by doing an affidavit. I can recall posts of people doing it within past year or less.

The affidavit has to be translated and certified by the consular affairs department along with the marriage certificate.

The embassy has this on the notaries page.  

"Affidavits
Oftentimes the Thai government requests the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General Chiang Mai “certify” documents listed under “services we cannot provide.” Please note the Embassy and Consulate CAN notarize an affidavit which may or may not satisfy the Thai requirement for “certification.”"

Im in a very different situation (half Thai, need my parents US marriage certificate for my own Thai residency), but still also need a translated and stamped marriage certificate, and am digging around these forums for answers. From what I am understanding here, I could skip the 2-step authentication process (which would send me back to the US), and bring the certificate to the US embassy to sign an affidavit, and this would be acceptable for the MFA? Does this typically work? if so, would save a lot of headache. Thanks in advance...

46 minutes ago, dylaneitharong said:

Im in a very different situation (half Thai, need my parents US marriage certificate for my own Thai residency), but still also need a translated and stamped marriage certificate, and am digging around these forums for answers. From what I am understanding here, I could skip the 2-step authentication process (which would send me back to the US), and bring the certificate to the US embassy to sign an affidavit, and this would be acceptable for the MFA? Does this typically work? if so, would save a lot of headache. Thanks in advance...

Not sure that could be done since it is your parents birth certificate you are wanting to do an affidavit for.

I think you have an Amphoe creating their own rules. You had to provide that to get your birth certificate I think.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure that could be done since it is your parents birth certificate you are wanting to do an affidavit for.

I think you have an Amphoe creating their own rules. You had to provide that to get your birth certificate I think.

not their birth certificate; just a copy of their marriage certificate translated into thai and stamped by the MFA. have my thai birth certificate already, just need the marriage one in thai before i can be put on a house registration. main concern is if the MFA accepts official documents with the US embassy-granted Affidavits as opposed to going through the two-step authentication at state and secretary of state level. (also have power of attorney for both parents)

Edited by dylaneitharong

• 3 months later...

May I ask!  with all those complications to get kor ror 2 or 22 or marriage certificated to certified to get appointment from consulate, translation, reappointment etc etc.. can we just go to the Amphoe and register our marry or remarry in thailand so we will get marriage certificated in thai and bring that to the immigration?  Just wonder if that can be done?

3 hours ago, playboy said:

May I ask!  with all those complications to get kor ror 2 or 22 or marriage certificated to certified to get appointment from consulate, translation, reappointment etc etc.. can we just go to the Amphoe and register our marry or remarry in thailand so we will get marriage certificated in thai and bring that to the immigration?  Just wonder if that can be done?

I'm not sure where you're at the moment.

For me it was preferable to deal with the consulate in the U.S. rather than to undertake the required steps on the arrival in Thailand.

If you're presently in the U.S. you don't need to travel to the consulate at all.

Everything can be done via mail and email.

As I understand you're not allowed to register your foreign marriage certificate at the Amphoe office without legalization as it's been described earlier - which is the reason for this thread.

Just a translation will not work since it's not assigned any legal power in Thailand.

And you can not officially re-marry either.

Hope more knowledgeable people will chime in and give you a better advice.

Edited by unheard

9 hours ago, playboy said:

To register your foreign marriage you have to have your marriage certificate legalized in or by the country that issued it. For some it can be done at your embassy in Bangkok. Every country has a different way of doing it. After getting it legalized it has to translated to Thai and be certified by Department of Consular Affairs in Bangkok.

You cannot legally get married again here since you are already married.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

There is a easier way to get your US marriage certificate verified that will be accepted by an Amphoe. You can do a self certification if it by doing a affidavit at the US embassy stating it is a true, correct and valid document. Then having your marriage certificate and the affidavit translated to Thai and then have the translation certified by the Consular Affairs Department. A translation service can do both the translation and then have it certified at the Consular Affairs Department.

Where was you child born at? If the US have you you registered their birth at the embassy or the consulate to get a Thai birth certificate? 

You may find it is equal to or more complicated to apply for an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai as marriage.

Hi Ubonjoe, I think I will go get my marriage certificate to legalize.  So this what was I understand.

1. Get appointment from US consulate in Bangkok.

2. Print out marriage affidavit from US consulate website and fill up 

3. Go to US consulate with Marriage Affidavit and US marriage certificate then notarized by US consulate and pay $50.

4. Take those 2 documents to translate to thai (any translation service advice?

5. Certified at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) on 123 Chaengwattana Road, 3rd floor, Bangkok

6. The MFA will return my legalized document (not my original marriage certificate?) to my registered address by ems.

7. Bring those legalized translated documents to Amphoe to get register and ask for Kor ror 22

is this right process?  Do I miss something?  Sorry to be detail so I will not miss things.

Thank you very much.

5 minutes ago, playboy said:

2. Print out marriage affidavit from US consulate website and fill up 

3. Go to US consulate with Marriage Affidavit and US marriage certificate then notarized by US consulate and pay $50.

You complete a blank affidavit to do a statement that your marriage certificate is valid, true and correct.

12 hours ago, playboy said:

4. Take those 2 documents to translate to thai (any translation service advice?

5. Certified at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) on 123 Chaengwattana Road, 3rd floor, Bangkok

There is a translation service on the 2nd floor in the same building as the MFA.

You should also check that the Amphur where you intend to register your overseas marriage, if they also want a US Embassy certified copy of your Passport, translated and also legalised by the MFA.

Some do, some don't.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

There is a translation service on the 2nd floor in the same building as the MFA.

You should also check that the Amphur where you intend to register your overseas marriage, if they also want a US Embassy certified copy of your Passport, translated and also legalised by the MFA.

Some do, some don't.

Thank you for more information.  Yes, I called Bangluk amphur and she mentioned of US Embassy certified copy of my passport, translated and also legalized by the MFA.  First I was surprised since passport is so common used for Thai or foreigns will have English written for everything so why have to translate to Thai?  
thank you.

2 hours ago, playboy said:

Thank you for more information.  Yes, I called Bangluk amphur and she mentioned of US Embassy certified copy of my passport, translated and also legalized by the MFA.  First I was surprised since passport is so common used for Thai or foreigns will have English written for everything so why have to translate to Thai?  
thank you.

Make an appointment at the US Embassy.

1. You make a blank affidavit confirming your overseas marriage is genuine and bona fide.

2. Have the Embassy certify the affidavit, a copy of your US marriage certificate and a copy of your Passport.

3. Take these documents to the translation office 2nd floor of MFA.

4. Submit the certified and translated documents to the legalisation office of the MFA.

5. Pay EMS return, takes about 5 working days.

A friend did exactly the same a fortnight ago.

10.30am Embassy appointment, translated and left with the MFA for legalisation and return EMS.

Out and on their way home by 1500.

Edited by Tanoshi

Just now, playboy said:

0B606564-6951-426C-92D3-2163ECC0D61C.jpeg

Hi Ubonjoe, this is affidavit from Us website, do I need to add some statement to it? such as “for my marriage certificate is true and correct”. Or I do not need to mention in statement but just fill in the blank and that will serve Amphoe purpose?  
Another question, since I head to US consulate I want to get in the same time to get the letter from US consulate to show to immigration to get 30 day after amnesty, what’s kind of letter?  Do US consulate know about this letter?

12 hours ago, playboy said:

Hi Ubonjoe, this is affidavit from Us website, do I need to add some statement to it?

As I wrote before that is not the correct affidavit. The is affirmation of permit to marry affidavit that is required to register a new marriage certificate. This is the blank affidavit you will need to complete. https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

You will have to state your US issued marriage certificate is true, correct and valid.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, Tanoshi said:

Some do, some don't.

So to certified copy of my passport, do I need another affidavit for it?  Now it became so confuse!  Or just make a copy of my passport and give the copy to US embassy to stamp on it?  

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote before that is not the correct affidavit. The is affirmation of permit to marry affidavit that is required to register a new marriage certificate. This is the blank affidavit you will need to complete. https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

You will have to state your US issued marriage certificate is true, correct and valid.

Kingdom of Thailand
Bangkok Metropolis                                                    SS
Embassy of the United States of America

Before me,_________________________________________Consul of the United States of
America at Bangkok, duly commissioned and qualified, personally appeared
_________Playboy_______________________________, who, being duly sworn, deposes
And says:  My US marriage certificate is true, correct and valid.  My passport is true, correct and valid.

My attached following document(s) is/are true and correct: Marriage certificate and copy of my passport

The U.S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement and assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the stated information.
Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein.

Playboy date

Signature of notarizing officer

Commission indefinite

seal
is this right?

3 minutes ago, playboy said:
My passport is true, correct and valid.

My attached following document(s) is/are true and correct: Marriage certificate and copy of my passport

I don't think they will accept it with that wording at the embassy.

They will do a certified copy of your passport that is a separate thing they will do. "Certified true copies of U.S. passports"

They will not certify a copy of your marriage certificate.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will do a certified copy of your passport that is a separate thing they will do. "Certified true copies of U.S. passports"

Kingdom of Thailand

Before me,_________________________________________Consul of the United States of
And says:  My US marriage certificate is true, correct and valid.

My attached following document(s) is/are true and correct: Marriage certificate

The U.S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement and assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the stated information.
Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein.

Playboy date

Commission indefinite

seal
So this is correction just for marriage certificate, is this ok?

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Kingdom of Thailand

And says:  My certified true copies of U.S. passport.

My attached following document(s) is/are true and correct: my copies passport

Playboy date

Commission indefinite

seal
This for my true copies passport

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I do not need "affidavit" form for certified passport?  just copies of my passport and Embassy will put certified stamp on it?

23 minutes ago, playboy said:

I do not need "affidavit" form for certified passport?  just copies of my passport and Embassy will put certified stamp on it?

The will certify a copy of your passport as true and correct. No need for an affidavit.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The will certify a copy of your passport as true and correct. No need for an affidavit.

Thank you very much Ubonjoe.  I will print out different version and bring to US embassy so will be no surprised for me.  Millions thanks for your help and other in the forum.  I hope there will be a good news about amnesty comes out soon so I will not need to do all of this.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, Tanoshi said:

Make an appointment at the US Embassy.

1. You make a blank affidavit confirming your overseas marriage is genuine and bona fide.

2. Have the Embassy certify the affidavit, a copy of your US marriage certificate and a copy of your Passport.

3. Take these documents to the translation office 2nd floor of MFA.

4. Submit the certified and translated documents to the legalisation office of the MFA.

5. Pay EMS return, takes about 5 working days.

A friend did exactly the same a fortnight ago.

10.30am Embassy appointment, translated and left with the MFA for legalisation and return EMS.

Out and on their way home by 1500.

Hi, Do you know where can I find translator by US embassy or Klongtoey MRT.  I think at Klongtoey mrt has MFA to certify the legalized document.  So I think I will go there in stead of going to Head Office at CW.  Anyone used the one in Klongtoey MRT?  

thank you.

1 hour ago, playboy said:

Hi, Do you know where can I find translator by US embassy or Klongtoey MRT. 

List translator near the embassy is here.

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/translators_internet_service_photographers.pdf

1 hour ago, playboy said:

Anyone used the one in Klongtoey MRT?  

I have never done the certification myself. I have always paid the translation to service do it.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, playboy said:

Thank you very much Ubonjoe????????????????????????????????

Hi Ubonjoe,  To get 60 days visiting my wife visa, when I can do it?  Can I do it before amnesty expired on 24 or 25 July or I need to 

do it 15 days before the amnesty expired?  Thank you.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

Do they charge for the certification of passport, or is this one thing they do for free