BANGKOK
rooster59

Frightened Asian tourists cancel flights, stay home

30 days later... 

Number dead from the virus outside of China: 4,540

< Insert witty sarcasm here to inflate ego >

In Wuhan, not even 3 weeks ago, 17 died... that's if you believe in any of the numbers being provided by CPC. 

Edited by ThaiBrian

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Number dead from the virus outside of China: 4

More likely than not those four were probably sick anyway as a virus will "attack" the weak first, but why bother letting facts change the reality that a scared population is both obedient and easily influenced by the media :wink:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If I was Asian with an illness, being seen by Asian doctors, I'd be scared too

I shattered my wrist a few years ago and had extensive physiotherapy, both at BNH (supposedly the leading private hospital) and abroad. When I described the Thai treatment to some Western physiotherapists they described it as "five to ten years out of date"

• Sad 1

Friend of mine was down the immigration the other day and he said there was a long line of Chinese in there getting visa extensions done I have met a couple of Chinese families who dont want to go home

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

What are all the immigration officers gonna do, transferred to the TM30 crime unit? How many officers can fit in one of those smart BMWs?

"How many officers can fit in one of those smart BMWs?". 

Q. How many people can you fit into a baht bus (or Smart BMW)? A."One more".

Edited by Benmart
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 6:33 AM, rooster59 said:

South Korea has remained relatively free of the contagion, although one of its citizens was found to be infected after returning from Thailand.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:33 AM, rooster59 said:

Seoul-based carriers Eastar Jet, Jeju Air, Asiana Airlines and Korean Air have also reduced the number of flights to Thailand.

Wing Commander Suthirawat Suwanawat, Airports of Thailand’s general manager at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, said Thailand’s premier air hub is seeing far fewer foreign tourists because of the virus outbreak.

“We’re getting 140,000 people a day this month – 60,000 fewer than last year, which represents a 30-per-cent decrease,”

This is the result of this government's policy of open borders and free visas to the chinese when everybody else restricts their travel out of fear of eventual contamination .

Here , they still welcome the chinese without imposing any restrictions , but they are not a lot to come anymore , and on top of this everybody else who might have planned a holiday in Thailand is staying away now .

Bravo , Thai government , you just proved to be completely ' Bah ' , if there was any doubt about this before , it is gone by now ...

But there is something positive about all this , too . The beaches are empty , as are the hotels and all places tourists visit ... Thai people have more time , are less stressed and becoming more friendly now , I have the impression at least ...?

Edited by nobodysfriend

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO it is also the medical culture.

I have a number of health conditions. Bladder cancer, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, gastric reflux etc.

In Australia, those conditions are monitored regularly and their progress explained carefully by very competent doctors. I have confidence in their skills.

In most Asian countries, doctors are gods. They do not explain anything, and can actually be offended if they are asked questions. Face.

If I was Asian with an illness, being seen by Asian doctors, I'd be scared too.

I am sorry for you being sick , I always appreciate your comments .

Asian doctors , or at least the ones I know , are completely incompetent compared to western ones .

I was diagnosed with HEP C long time ago , went to talk to a doctor in CM Ram , he wanted me to take a very costly treatment for about one year ( 50000 $ ) , I refused because I knew about a new treatment available , I ordered the medicine from India , ( not available in Thailand ! ) and cured myself with it . It did cost me about 1000 $ and no more HEP C .

The doctors here just want to make money for the hospital , they do not care about you .

• Like 1

Looks like Thai airways will have to increase prices from the current ridiculous levels to boost profits 🤔

• Haha 2

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:33 PM, rooster59 said:

If the crisis persists into April, he said, the airport reckons passenger volume will grow by a mere 3 per cent, far less than the annual averages until now.

I find this statement quite confusing. How can volume be expected to grow by 3% when it is currently in severe decline.

Mid April is only two months away and the virus is still "boss". Nobody knows when it will start to ebb.

(Thanks China)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

The doctors here just want to make money for the hospital , they do not care about you

My Thai partner has told me that when her mother was sick and dying, she ask the doctor if there is anything he could do. Doctor said, "you don't have money, we can't help her".

And so, she was vacated from the hospital (and this world).

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I am sorry for you being sick , I always appreciate your comments .

Asian doctors , or at least the ones I know , are completely incompetent compared to western ones .

I was diagnosed with HEP C long time ago , went to talk to a doctor in CM Ram , he wanted me to take a very costly treatment for about one year ( 50000 $ ) , I refused because I knew about a new treatment available , I ordered the medicine from India , ( not available in Thailand ! ) and cured myself with it . It did cost me about 1000 $ and no more HEP C .

The doctors here just want to make money for the hospital , they do not care about you .

Surprisingly, the doctors assure me none of the conditions I have are going to kill me. I've been a bladder cancer survivor since 2006. My urologist goes in every 6 months and zaps any new growths. I am quite fit with golf and swimming, do 30 pushups and stretching exercises every day.

I will consult with doctors here for minor ailments. I usually get a fistful of pills, which I then check out on the Internet for interactions. In all my doctors' appointments here, not once have I been quizzed about my medical history, or medications I am currently using. Ram Hospital has a reputation as expensive. Anything serious, I would be on a plane to Australia.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, and good health to you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NightSky said:

Mhmm, having thought about this it’s not likely really. Here’s why..

most virus are unable to live for long outside a body. Even if on the skin they won’t survive unless transferred to inside the body.

also, every person who placed fingers on the scanner who transfers any type of virus from the scanner will be removing it.

..its not an ever ending supply of virus.

Just like using any public door handle or handle rain the scanner is just the same and the answer is to use alcohol gel or soap and water before touching your face.

hope this helps!

You may want to rethink what you just stated ?

https://www.chemistryviews.org/details/news/11220539/How_Long_Can_Coronaviruses_Live_on_Surfaces.html

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Doctor nightsky?

Doctor No!