Soft loans for tourism operators mulled in bid to avert worker layoff

Soft loans for tourism operators mulled in bid to avert worker layoff 

By THE NATION

800_51efbdfaee5beb3.jpg

Uttama Savanayana

The Finance Ministry may extend soft loans to operators in the tourism sector, currently reeling from the coronavorus crisis, as a means to avert a mass layoff of workers.

Minister Uttama Savanayana made the remark on Friday (February 14) after a meeting of the ministry's agencies on measures to mitigate impact of the virus on the sector.

Soft loan was one of the options discussed in the meeting, he said, adding that the meeting focused on short-term measures. 

The Finance Ministry may also offer incentives to tourism operators as an encouragement for keeping their employees, Uttama said. 

Somkid added that both the finance and tourism ministries would have to launch new packages to promote domestic travel by Thais. For example, there should be a package designed for elderly travellers and their kids can use their travel spending receipts for a deduction in income tax.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30382150

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-15

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Somkid added that both the finance and tourism ministries would have to launch new packages to promote domestic travel by Thais. For example, there should be a package designed for elderly travellers and their kids can use their travel spending receipts for a deduction in income tax.

I take it this will wait until the Coronavirus has officially disappeared from Thailand.

We don't want to encourage travelling right now surely, increasing the risk of infection. Or will they run it on the same basis as Chinese travellers coming to Thailand, and ignore the risk completely?

25 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The problems with the loans is they have to be paid back. Which means to stay afloat later, they will have to raise their prices 20% ish to cover the bank loan costs !

In Amazing Thailand this is not a problem. The wonderfully competent junta government will arrange loans to help pay of the original loans and finance it all by selling more high interest bonds to the Chinese. Easy.

A new term will enter the lexicon.

Juntanomics

Too much to expect a scrapping of the TM30 reporting requirements to encourage domestic tourism a wee bit.

• Haha 1

In 2014, when the junta started over tightening visa rules, I asked a farang restaurant owner how was business.  He said: "We lost  almost all of our regular customer.s, but we still have tourists thankfully".  He closed shop a year later.  The green team has and will continue to fail Thailand, and the youth know this.

Yep grandma and grandpa somchai are really going to want to go to Pattaya and Phuket LOL.  I guess we willhave to change walking street to walker street.

Instead of beer they serve prune juice.  Not sure how this is going to help the girls though.

Giving loans is stupid give them a tax break.  As a business owner tell me I can have 3 months where I do not have to pay all the extra <deleted> for emplyees.

That would help my business.