37 days late on 90-day report

Did this once only 2 weeks, i forgot as i had got a new phone and hadn't put it in. 2000 baht fine which i handed over, i said i am sorry bcoz my phone got wet in the floods and not go beep beep,... 'oooh na-thwm'..... they gave me back 1000 baht. :jap:

I now always have a wall calendar and mark important dates on it.  

I went today (Chiang Mai). The moment I got there, they asked for my passport and scanned it and right away was told I was late on my 90-day and the officer took a large stamp and stamped a paper that said "2,000 Baht fine" and was told to get in the queue. When my number was called we went to the desk and my wife explained everything (never been late in 13 years, etc.) and that she would like to negotiate the fine if possible. The woman sympathized but said that there was no way around the 2,000 Baht fine because "it was already in the computer".  My wife asked to speak to the boss and we waited a while and he came over and told us very nicely that since everything changed a year or so ago that everything is computerized and there is no way negotiate the fine like in the past and that 3 different people have to sign off on receiving the money. He said if he could discount the fine he would, but now everything is computerized.

So, 2000 Baht fine, stamped in my passport, paid and left. We watched and sure enough, 3 different people had to sign off. Expensive lesson learned.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:44 PM, elektrified said:

I think it's a safe bet that 2000 is cheaper.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:48 PM, ujayujay said:

Go to Immigration, pay the 2000 Baht and everything will be OK!

Yes, for the sake of 2,000 Baht, go in, hold your hands up and maybe try a plausible fib such as a domestic/family crisis that can't be checked.  If it works - great, if not, a fine is worth the peace of mind and better than waiting to see if the IO picks up your tardiness and links the date of a re-entry and a missing 90 check in.  

Edited by phetchy

7 hours ago, phetchy said:

Yes, for the sake of 2,000 Baht, go in, hold your hands up and maybe try a plausible fib such as a domestic/family crisis that can't be checked.  If it works - great, if not, a fine is worth the peace of mind and better than waiting to see if the IO picks up your tardiness and links the date of a re-entry and a missing 90 check in.  

Watch out for the shadows too!